Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fine weather athlete

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Finished work at 2:30 and headed straight to Marlay for a run, 5K done, felt great.

Came home, thought about pushing my weights to Tuesday but I've been doing my best to get back on to the M/W/F cycle, so had dinner and jumped straight into it.

Week 8 - Monday - Day B of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 67.5kg (150 secs between sets, because of the run in my legs)
    Over head press 3*5 35kg, 1*4 35kg, 1*5 30kg (180 secs between sets)
    Deadlift 1*5 - 75kg

Failed at the OHP so dropped the weight a little for last set, squat and deadlift felt good but tough. DL probably the one where I feel I still have a little leeway.

Long working day yesterday meant I had to postpone my workout but got it in today. Happy to have got them all but fairly certain the bench has reached it's max and the squat may eek out another couple of kilo but not much more.

Thursday - Stronglifts Day A
    Squat 5*5 - 70kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bench 5*5 - 42.5kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bar row 5*5 - 42.5kg (90 sec rest between sets)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're reaching your max, try giving yourself another minute between sets. Its only going to add 4 mins to the workout time if time is tight.

If you're reaching your max, try giving yourself another minute between sets. Its only going to add 4 mins to the workout time if time is tight.

I'm definitely going to, I've been trying to put it off but I know I'll have to. I didn't say it above and I should have but I did take 3 mins for last 2 sets of bench and last set of squat. Can't believe I'm enjoying it so much.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1138210153

Haven't picked a plan yet but I will by Monday.

5k hilly around Marlay, probably too fast but I will slow them down next week, felt comfortable though.

• Advertisement

Sunday - Day B of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 72.5kg (150 secs between sets)
    Over head press 2*5 35kg, 2*4 35kg (180 secs between sets)
    Deadlift 1*5 - 80kg

My shoulder was sore from throwing the javelin yesterday and I wasn't sure if doing today's session was a good idea, glad I did it as althought it's sore it didn't seem to effect my lifting.

I knew I was going to fail from my warm up of the OHP
    1*5 25kg - felt handy but the 1*5 30kg felt tough.

Wonder am I better off going back to 30kg or persist with one more effort at 35kg?

I've picked my running schedule, it's from Pfitzinger and Latter and it's aimed at the 5K. Only can't really start it till I've built up to 30 mile weeks. So start date is probably 3 or 4 weeks away. So next week 4x5 mile runs, most to be done at <75% of Average Heart Rate.

Wottle wrote: »
    Wonder am I better off going back to 30kg or persist with one more effort at 35kg?

I think the program suggests something like if you miss the 5x5 on an exercise 3 sessions in a row, then drop back 10% and build back up.

The problem with that is you're just redoing the same lesser weight at 5x5 amd expecting to get back to the weight you failed at and making it without having done anything different.

So if you drop back the weight, get more volume in until you get back to the weight you're missing. More volume should mean you're working harder at the weights below where you failed.

That might be 6 (or more) sets of 5 or 5 sets of 6 etc

2 mile run before weights, groin was sore.

Tuesday - Day A of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 75kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bench 5*5 - 40kg (120 sec rest between sets)

Went back to 40KG on the bench as I think my form was bad last time out and may have contributed to sore shoulder

Thursday - Day B of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 77.5kg (150 secs between sets)
    Over head press 5*6 30kg (150 secs between sets)
    Deadlift 1*5 - 85kg

Went back to 30KG in OHP and did 5 sets of 6, felt good.

Nearly tapped out at the squat and dead lift was tough but have a little more.

Only have 90KG of discs so need to either purchase more or make the move to a new Olympic set.

Wottle wrote: »
    2 mile run before weights, groin was sore.

Tuesday - Day A of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 75kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bench 5*5 - 40kg (120 sec rest between sets)

Went back to 40KG on the bench as I think my form was bad last time out and may have contributed to sore shoulder

Squat 5*5 - 77.5kg (150 secs between sets)
    Over head press 5*6 30kg (150 secs between sets)
    Deadlift 1*5 - 85kg

Went back to 30KG in OHP and did 5 sets of 6, felt good.

Nice one :)

As an aside, here's an article I was re-reading last night by Greg Nuckols that discusses what to do when you plateau, i.e. drop weight and increase volume to build back up to the weight you plateaued at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

How's it going wottle?

• Advertisement

El Caballo wrote: »
    How's it going wottle?

Hasn't been great to be honest. Had a very sore groin, couldn't walk let alone run. Took 3 days off from the weights as well, groin was feeling better but I could still feel it today, not as bad though. Did a couple of strides in the park while kids were training and it seemed ok.
    Another problem I have is fitting the time in, I work 2 jobs, one is nights 3/4 times a week and sometimes I finish at 8am and start the second job at 9:30am. It's a busy period atm but things will die down a bit come mid June. Add 3 kids on top of that and 4 days coaching juveniles and it's tough to fit everything in. Suppose a lot of the above sounds like excuses but it's life, maybe need to work more on my time management skills.
    Thanks for the interest

Sunday - Day A of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 80kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bench 5*6 - 40kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bar row 5*5 - 47.5kg (90 sec rest between sets)

Squat 5*5 - 80kg (130 secs between sets)
    Over head press 5*6 30kg (130 secs between sets)
    Deadlift 1*5 - 85kg

Friday May 6th
    20 minute very easy run with a friend

Tuesday May 10th
    3.2 miles, run up to and back from our new club grounds and then 2 mile run around Marlay park

Day A of Stronglifts
    Squat 5*5 - 80kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bench 5*6 - 40kg (120 sec rest between sets)
    Bar row 5*5 - 47.5kg (90 sec rest between sets)

Thursday May 12th
    3.25 miles around Marlay

Friday May 13th
    3.7 miles around St Enda's and Marlay Park

Saturday May 14th
    5 miles up to and through Marlay and St Enda's
    First run with the heart rate, trying to keep the pace to 75% of MHR (150),
    was a little hard to do, normally takes a few runs to get used to it.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1167321974

My cadence does need to improve and it will as I start to run more, still not convinced of the watch accuracy for cadence though.

Stronglifts is going to go to twice a week to facilitate the running a little more as I try to get the balance right.

Tuesday May 17th
    Up early for this one, didn't really settle into the prescribed heart rate.
    5 miles

Thursday May 19th
    This was after the juveniles training, I was tired and for some reason picked a very hilly route so heart rate was all over the place.
    5 miles

Saturday May 21st
    Although Friday was a rest day, it wasn't really, I actually had 6.5 hours of athletics with kids which involved a lot of sprinting on my behalf. So was a little stiff for this. Got the heart rate right but needed to be longer.
    2.5 miles

Advertisement