Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is a "fully qualified" hairstylist, and how can I be one?

Options
  • 29-02-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm sorry if this question is silly, but I honestly don't know!

Most salons are looking for "fully qualified" but I can't find any info on what qualification they're looking for exactly. The Internet tells me that there are ITEC and C&G qualifications, but it also tells me that those "don't count" and I'll just be hired as a 3rd/4th year apprentice.

I can't seem to get into a salon anywhere (I'm "overqualified" for the first year positions, and the few 3rd/4th year interviews I've had they've been concerned that my skills might not be to their standard since I'm from Canada and learned at an Academy there. I've been offered trial work days so they can assess me...but let's not even start me on that one lol) So, I'm considering taking up a waitress job next month, and saving up to do a course.

Are there any courses, to anyone's knowledge, that will actually let me call myself a qualified stylist? I'm looking at Robert Chambers atm because they have told me that they customize the course so I won't have to re-learn and waste time. They also say I'll be qualified and get work after. I'm wary, obviously.

If anyone has any other tips, please share! I've been applying to pretty much everything but I'm totally stuck in limbo. I may start lying and saying I've no experience just for the entry level floor sweeper job!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thread moved to Beauty, might get better answers in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Maybe try asking professionals on http://www.salongeek.com/ and specify you are from Ireland, it is a great forum and the professionals are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

In Ireland and the U.K., you need to hold a recognised hairdressing qualification in order to purchase insurance.

In the UK, some hairdressing colleges will offer a fast track 9 month course that will lead to a City & Guilds level 2 qualification. (Also VTCT is another examination board offering the same level)

That's the basic level qualification that you need to legitimately claim you are a 'qualified hairdresser'. ITEC hairdressing courses aren't as common in the UK and I don't think they offer any fast track options.

I haven't seen any similar fast track courses advertised here in Ireland but that's not to say they don't exist, as I haven't looked.

I can also recommend SalonGeek as a good source of information. Hope that helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Op, a days trial is fairly standard. I've done many a days trial. Or they've got me to bring in a client to do several treatments on (I'm a beautician ) so I can show what I can do but I'm not making them any money.

I'm not sure what qualifications you have, but I know that my qualifications (ITEC & CIBTAC) hold very little weight over here in Canada. I got a job regardless of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    In Ireland and the U.K., you need to hold a recognised hairdressing qualification in order to purchase insurance.

In the UK, some hairdressing colleges will offer a fast track 9 month course that will lead to a City & Guilds level 2 qualification. (Also VTCT is another examination board offering the same level)

That's the basic level qualification that you need to legitimately claim you are a 'qualified hairdresser'. ITEC hairdressing courses aren't as common in the UK and I don't think they offer any fast track options.

I haven't seen any similar fast track courses advertised here in Ireland but that's not to say they don't exist, as I haven't looked.

I can also recommend SalonGeek as a good source of information. Hope that helps?

Thanks - I've had a look at a few colleges that offer city & guilds courses, but holy expensive. I also had a look at what kind of skills are required of a level 2 and I surpass them, I'm closer to level 3. Anyone aware of somewhere I can go to sit exams/ be assessed to get a level 2 certificate or do I have to do a full course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

Op, a days trial is fairly standard. I've done many a days trial. Or they've got me to bring in a client to do several treatments on (I'm a beautician ) so I can show what I can do but I'm not making them any money.

I'm not sure what qualifications you have, but I know that my qualifications (ITEC & CIBTAC) hold very little weight over here in Canada. I got a job regardless of them.

I've come to learn that the trial is pretty much mandatory. I had a good rant about it in another thread - short version, they call me in so they can watch me blowdry/colour and instead get me to work on the sink and broom instead. Had one keep me in a week, telling me she'd start me once she got to see me do a bit of everything. Cleaned for a week, no pay. Should've known better I guess but I genuinely believed her. Ignored calls and emails after.
    I've no problem with bringing in a model for a trade test or workin a few hours, day max so they can see how I fit. That makes total sense. But if I'm doing work a paid employee would ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

ExParrot42 wrote: »
    I've come to learn that the trial is pretty much mandatory. I had a good rant about it in another thread - short version, they call me in so they can watch me blowdry/colour and instead get me to work on the sink and broom instead. Had one keep me in a week, telling me she'd start me once she got to see me do a bit of everything. Cleaned for a week, no pay. Should've known better I guess but I genuinely believed her. Ignored calls and emails after.
    I've no problem with bringing in a model for a trade test or workin a few hours, day max so they can see how I fit. That makes total sense. But if I'm doing work a paid employee would ....

That's super illegal. I'd email her telling her that you're going to a solicitor over unpaid work. I'm sure she'll reply pretty quick.

Advertisement