Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I keep away dogs outside, bitch in heat inside?

• 29-02-2016 8:40pm

I'm in my friends house for few days minding her kids. Her bitch has gone into heat today. The house is in the countryside and we are now surrounded by dogs.
    The bitch is going mad to get out, my neutered male is going mad to get out as well.
    I'm keeping them in but is there anything I can do to get rid of the dogs outside?
    The 2 inside are crying and barking, and this is going to go on all night long.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

It could actually go on for several days. Was the bitch in heat being allowed to pee out where other dogs can roam? I have several bitches here & don't allow them to pee anywhere near the front of the house to prevent this.

I can only suggest finding the owners of the roaming males & asking them to keep them under control.

She's been peeing wherever she wants, I didn't know she was going to go on heat.
    I'll be up all night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've a friend in the Uk who put toddler pull ups on her bitch during her first heat, she also rubbed Vicks vaporub on door and gate to deter sniffing dogs.
    She got bitch spayed after that, too much stress!
    Not sure how well the above worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Contact the dog warden who should collect up all the strays outside and if microchipped the owners can be informed and fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

mymo wrote: »
    She got bitch spayed after that, too much stress!
    Not sure how well the above worked.

Id be interested in hearing how the above went. Got our dog spayed and she stills goes in to heat a few times a year for a full week its awful

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Contact the dog warden who should collect up all the strays outside and if microchipped the owners can be informed and fined.

No offence, but have you even tried to contact the dog warden between 9 & 5? There's no hope of getting one at this time.
    And there's no chance any of these country dogs are microchipped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

clairek6 wrote: »
    Id be interested in hearing how the above went. Got our dog spayed and she stills goes in to heat a few times a year for a full week its awful

Something is very wrong if a spayed dog is showing signs of being in heat. Straight to the vet next time it happens.

bubblypop wrote: »
    No offence, but have you even tried to contact the dog warden between 9 & 5? There's no hope of getting one at this time.
    And there's no chance any of these country dogs are microchipped!

If it persisted I might be tempted to round them up & bring them myself but for fear of what might happen to them. Have any got collars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Something is very wrong if a spayed dog is showing signs of being in heat. Straight to the vet next time it happens.

Shes been neutered for 4 years and twice a year goes in to heat.... He said it doesnt always work for every dog

Knine wrote: »
    If it persisted I might be tempted to round them up & bring them myself but for fear of what might happen to them. Have any got collars?

No, no collars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Shes been neutered for 4 years and twice a year goes in to heat.... He said it doesnt always work for every dog

Of course it works. That's what the surgery is for. To remove the ovaries and uterus so they physically can't have any more seasons. I would highly suggest you bring her to a diff vet asap as there is something seriously wrong there. A spayed Bitch cannot have seasons full stop So your vet obviously didn't spay her .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh dear clairek6... Your vet is spinning you a yarn, presumably to cover up the strong possibility that he left some ovarian tissue behind after spaying your dog :o
    It is simply not possible for a correctly completed spay to not "work"! Whilst there's always a risk that some ovarian tissue will be left behind, I would consider it reprehensible for a vet to explain it away as you describe.

DBB wrote: »
    Oh dear clairek6... Your vet is spinning you a yarn, presumably to cover up the strong possibility that he left some ovarian tissue behind after spaying your dog :o
    It is simply not possible for a correctly completed spay to not "work"! Whilst there's always a risk that some ovarian tissue will be left behind, I would consider it reprehensible for a vet to explain it away as you describe.

This actually happened a neighbours dog & it was tissue left behind. She attracted dogs every 6 mths & was a nightmare. I'm not sure of the eventual outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've had a similar issue with one of my bitches, the vet that spayed her missed some ovarian tissue and she would have false heats and phantom pregnancies. I debated whether to open her up again, its more difficult than a normal spay obviously, as there isn't much tissue there for the vet to find, so the op has to be done at the right time, when it will be more visible to the vet. The decision was taken out of my hands however when Sky developed pyometra and had to have an emergency operation. Your girl could also develop pyo, which can be a killer. Please take her to another vet and explain the situation.

Advertisement