Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PAYG Sim Setup for an Elderly SOS Panic Alarm

• 29-02-2016 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi All

I have purchased an elderly alarm system which takes a PAYG Sim Card and if activated ring 5 numbers and sends 5 SMS messages
    Elderly SOS From Amazon

The requirement is

1. That any credit applied wont expire for 6 months and then only needs a couple of tests within a 6 month period.

2. The PAYG provider has the lowest costs possible just for calls and texts (no data)

Which provider would be the most economically viable route to go for PAYG as on activation or testing 5 calls and SMS are sent using a lot of credit in one instance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Interested here also

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its possible that unit will only work with a 2G SIM so it may be a case of Meteor or Vodafone.
    Both require routine top up but with Meteor you can top up by €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

dmm1000 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have purchased an elderly alarm system which takes a PAYG Sim Card and if activated ring 5 numbers and sends 5 SMS messages
    Elderly SOS From Amazon

The requirement is

1. That any credit applied wont expire for 6 months and then only needs a couple of tests within a 6 month period.

2. The PAYG provider has the lowest costs possible just for calls and texts (no data)

Which provider would be the most economically viable route to go for PAYG as on activation or testing 5 calls and SMS are sent using a lot of credit in one instance?

I dont know of any service provider that would do text and voice that dont need a top up.
    I would advise setting up the sim on line for checking credit and topping up, just means you dont have to take out the sim to do same.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    I dont know of any service provider that would do text and voice that dont need a top up.
    I would advise setting up the sim on line for checking credit and topping up, just means you dont have to take out the sim to do same.

Here is my ready to go sim from my alarm.

351108.jpg
    You have to get a 2G SIM though. Shop around with them.

KoolKid wrote: »

351108.jpg

Can you get a sim for an alarm from 3 that does text now?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »

351108.jpg

Can you get a sim for an alarm from 3 that does text now?

Thats all I use that for is text. Its on a Siemens Panel with a Siemens GSM.

Must be an old sim card.

Nope!, only replaced it a while back and topped up. The new expiry is now
    My Top Up 6 €11.36 02/11/2025 3532 days remaining.

Hope you set a reminder, 10 years is good also.

• Advertisement

No need. Any top up increases the expiry anyway.:)

Thats good

Yeah great value.
    I've a good lot of them out there.

Advertisement