Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Ethernet cable length for VF router?

Options
  • 01-03-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Have VF fibre recently installed and got the electrician to drop an Ethernet cable next to to the panel their technician installed.

The Ethernet (Cat 5e) has just the two wires crimped into the RJ11 jack at the line end and reversed over in the comms room RJ11 jack. I assume I have done this correctly.

My plan was to use this cable so I could place the VF supplied fibre box into the new comms cabinet and have everything squared away as normal in there. However I can't get the box to sync at all with my newly installed Ethernet cable. I have used a cable tester on the Ethernet and it is working fine.

The VF box gets service with the supplied RJ11 cable, which is only about 2M long when plugged directly into the VF installed wall port. However the VF wall port is in a location where I don't want the modem/router to be.

I have measured my own Ethernet cable to be 34M long. Is this just too long for the signal?

What should one do in this situation where you want the router in the comms room but it is that distance away?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

I presume you are looking to extend the phone line which has the broadband on it.
    Connect up using a pair (normally white/blue pair) not one orange and one blue but a twisted pair when you peel back the insulation.
    It does not need to be reversed just RJ11 at both ends on a single pair.
    Test the broadband speed using the short cable and again using the longer cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cable length isnt a huge deal as its already running ?m to you home, another 30m isnt terrible as long as the cabling is done well.

You need to crimp that 5e cable using one pair, any pair(eg blue blue/white), to the CENTER PINS on two RJ11 heads. No crossover. Then connect it to the RJ45 sized port on the NTU and bobs you're uncle.

BTW if you ever have problems the firs thing eir techs will do is make you move it back as they won't guarantee proper operation in that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

In regards to the crossover, why does the supplied cable then crossover and work?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With the Irish phone system polarity doesnt really matter so it works backwards too, but theres no need to cross it when terminating yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thanks. I must try it again, it's probably the pin incorrect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement