Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running water outside anamoe

• 01-03-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

hey folks I know the place outside anamoe in Wicklow on the way to lara where the water runs out in the open and it seems folks drink it but I see a sign saying not fit for human consumption,,,it looks like fresh spring water to me,,, anyone know if its ok to drink long term?

cheeers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I remember walking in the Wicklow mountains as a child near a river. We listened intently as one of the group leaders told us how pure and clean this water was. To illustrate this he drank it and encouraged us to fill our canteens. Everything seemed fine until we spotted a dead sheep in the river a hundred meters upstream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Baggio1 wrote: »
    hey folks I know the place outside anamoe in Wicklow on the way to lara where the water runs out in the open and it seems folks drink it but I see a sign saying not fit for human consumption,,,it looks like fresh spring water to me,,, anyone know if its ok to drink long term?

cheeers
    From a link I posted in another thread 5 years ago (thankfully preserved in the WaybackArchive). In short, no it isn't safe, and despite warning signs being placed, people either remove or deface the signs and still fill up anyway. It's a pretty dangerous place to stop too.
    Contaminated Water Supply
    The water in the Minister’s well at Annamoe has been found to be contaminated with faecal matter and a sign was therefore erected by Wicklow County Council advising people not to drink the water. The sign was removed without the consent of the Council, which we consider to be a very thoughtless act as it puts the wellbeing of the community (in particular the very young and the elderly) at risk. The sign was re-erected about three weeks ago on a more substantial pole but this was also removed. The Council requests that the sign be returned to the vicinity of the pole and we will then arrange to have it properly secured to the pole.
    Due to the ongoing risk from this source and the fact that we do not know from day to day the level of contamination, we are recommending that the water should not be drunk even after it is boiled.
    If you notice that the sign is returned please phone Wicklow County Council (0404-20100, Environment Section) so that we can arrange for it to be properly secured. Wicklow Co. Council

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

ok folks thanx for that have drank it a few times, seems clean and pure but I guess better to not take chances,, cheers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Being crystal clear doesn't mean a thing. You can't see faecal bacteria with the naked eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

still a bit strange I been drinking it last year and a half,, hasn't affected me at all.... and also before tap water came along most people drank from streams etc... surely it cant be all gone bad ???? after all tap water is well known to be full of lead and fluoride so which is worse?! I wonder...

• Advertisement
Advertisement