Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock result trouble (French)

Options
  • 01-03-2016 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭

I am having a bit of trouble on me French mock result. I got 52% on a HL exam. I was one of the three who passed French in all of the class (all the others other than us 3 failed it). I studied a lot before it and I can't see why I have been getting bad results (I call this a bad result...). Since I studied a lot, I'm not sure if it's the teacher's fault for being a bad teacher or my fault.

In 1st and 2nd year, I had a different teacher (for both of those years) and he normally gave us OL tests which I got over 90% on each of them.

Now in 3rd year, I have a teacher who nobody likes and they all find the one in 1st and 2nd year better because he taught good and made learning it fun. My results have gone from like 92%, down to these results:

3rd year xmas exam: 59%
    3rd year mock exam: 52%

^ Also to note is that these are HL tests compared to the ones where I got over 90%.

Another thing I should say is that I have a very bad difficulty on listening comprehensions even though I practice them a lot.

I am having a hard time stressing over whether it is my or the teacher's fault for my big drop in grades.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Were your mocks corrected outside the school?
    If inside the school, do you know is the person who corrected them an experienced SEC corrector?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

spurious wrote: »
    Were your mocks corrected outside the school?
    If inside the school, do you know is the person who corrected them an experienced SEC corrector?

The mocks were corrected by our class teachers (this case, my new French teacher)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The current teacher could be marking really hard so that only those who have a good chance in Higher take the Higher paper. People often deliberately mark the Mocks hard. If only three in the class passed, this is quite possible.

Perhaps the C grade you got in your mock is accurate, if you were getting A in OL.

Sounds like your previous teacher gave you tests that were too easy for you.

Anyway, don't worry about it. The great thing about the mocks is that they don't actually count for anything. I would be very surprised if in September only three of your class passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I got my Science back now and I am shocked at it. I found it such an easy test (mainly due to how many questions there were on chapters we did not do) but I failed with 38%.

Biology - 81% (completed the whole course of Biology)
    Chemistry - 53% (Water Hardness and Plastics to do)
    Physics - 19% (Heat, Magnetism, Electronics to do)

She even marked me out of questions on chapters we did not do yet? She also did not include our lab copy (10% of the whole exam) which was supposed to be included. If it were included and she didn't mark me out of those questions, I would have 53%.

Should I not worry 'cause it wasn't my fault that she did not teach us those chapters yet?

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    It sounds like all your teachers are in 'frighten them into working hard between now and the exam' mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

The mocks tend to be marked hard to try to spur students into doing that last bit of study before the actual exams. I wouldn't worry about mock results at all, you've loads of time to perfect your work before June.

Advertisement