Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the buck stops here

• 01-03-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm going to try keeping this training log until the dublin half IM this year.
    My ultimate aim- sub 5hrs, i would be delighted!
    Basics on myself;
    6'2
    90kg
    34yo
    ok on the bike, ok in the water, can cover the run.... :)
    Did a 10k to find a baseline in clon a few weeks ago and that was 54mins in, tbf, pretty horrible weather
    My aim to cover the time is to be out of the water and through transition in 45;
    off the bike and on my feet in 2:30 (3:15 cumulative) and though to the finish in a whisker under five
    I did this last year with very little time to train-about 5 weeks- i am back studying and exams take priority, and swim was poorer than id hoped (water temp killed me for the first 500, i was burning up waiting to start and got cold shock when i got in :eek: )
    cycle was ok all considered, about 3:15, and run was a slow and un prepared 2:20. Transitions were boggy at best.
    Im training and under a little less exam pressure this time round.
    I've been back in the pool, getting a bit of time in the legs and on the bike since Jan, and now that I've got my place sorted, I'm ramping up the training.
    tomorrow sees me taking up a month challenge to swim 25km, cycle 375 and run 100, so i'll be held to account for that! :)
    I'll post more details as i go and answer questions that anyone may have.
    5 months, be grand, sure its years away... :rolleyes::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

That looks like a good ambitious goal. Good to put the time out there in the open.

I didn't realise we wouldn't have a chance to warm up in the water before the start last year which was a bit of a shock.

Did you get off the bike with a cumulative time of 3:15 or was the bike section on its own 3:15? Seems like the run might be toughest part to improve on. Do you have a standalone half marathon time? I've heard of a rule of thumb to add 10% to your standalone time for your triathlon run. I've run 88 minutes standalone so theoretically I should be able to run around 97 minutes. It took me 105 through (1h45).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

That's a big improvement to aim for, but why not, put the head down and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stitch09

the bike section on its own was 3:15 :o
    but hoping to get that down pretty sharpish, hitting a good few spin classes midweek on watt bikes with ftw outputs and trying to get a distance cycle in at least once every weekend from now on out. And while blaming the bike is a weary excuse, mine is genuinely not really fit for purpose so hoping to upgrade that by end of april to at least a decent road bike, but hopefully an entry level tri bike. Combination of better positioning and more hours should hopefully help both get the cycle time down and leave the legs fresher...
    if I can get the run down to 1:40 total i'd be delighted, again, I've got a bit to go, but not massively. I try to stay away from the gels and sugar drinks in training and i'll only go back to them closer to the event. I get more an effect from them then and they genuinely do help with staying fresher for the duration.
    thanks for the good luck, yeah its ambitious :) if i can get the time on the individual components down to what i need or ideally less, by end of june, i reckon i can stitch them together in 6 weeks... i'll be doing a few adventure races, outdoor swims etc as the months go on so i'll use these as brick sessions, and i'll be doing brick sessions in the gym as well a few times a week so hopefully they'll all help pull it together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

it seems like you are looking to knock more than 1 hour off your time from last year which would be great progress! Best of luck with it.

Stitch09 wrote: »
    mine is genuinely not really fit for purpose so hoping to upgrade that by end of april to at least a decent road bike, but hopefully an entry level tri bike.

Tri bikes (In my opinion) don't seem to have an entry level option! You're looking at 2 grand. What I'd suggest is to get a road bike and put aero bars on it. Getting into an aero position and getting used to it can be hard. I didn't managed it last year. I used tri bars on my road bike and felt good for 70k but was trying to stretch out my back for the last bit. Bit of discomfort. Totally my own fault for not having time in the saddle. Didn't *really* affect my run which I was worried about.

If you've loads of cash then by a nice road bike and a nice tri bike!

• Advertisement

Definitely do the Howth Aquathons. There's usually three of them. I don't know if I'll have permission to do them this year!

Edit: big assumption that you're Dublin based

So Sunday night confessions :eek:
    Dug up my times from last years 70.3 as well for a bit of accuracy
    Swim
    00:44:33
    Bike
    03:14:55
    Run
    02:21:58

5hrs seems more and more optimistic everytime I look at it but sure be no fun if it wasn’t going to be a challenge :D

Those Howth aquathons could be worth the trip up to Dublin actually, I’m pretty sure there’s a swim in Dunlaoighre as well at some stage so wouldn’t mind having a shot at that as well. I’ll have a look at the howth race series when they are posted, I couldn’t find them last night when I was having a look! Think I might fit in the cork half marathon as well in early june as a benchmarker.

So this is the training for march so far. I do weights on a 6 way split as well, I find I need it to keep me together! Helps me stave of injuries and keep a few other bits in check. Also, i know the treadmill probably isn't great but for short runs i find it helps me with pacing- i throw it onto 1% incline and tip away. as weather gets better i'll move outdoors a bit more :pac:

March 1st Tuesday
    Run
    5km at 12.1kmph so 5k in 24:50 Treadmill
    Straight in to spin class
    23km in 43min

Wednesday
    Swim
    Pyramid 1-9-1 2.025km (1hr)
    Weights - Chest

thursday
    Weights- Back session
    Spin class
    43:30 25.9km
    Straight onto treadmill
    5*1kms @12kmph w/ 1min @6kmph bw ea km. 30mins total. 5.5k covered.

Friday
    Weights -Leg day
    Run
    Easy 5k tmill 30mins @12kmph
    Swim
    Inverted pyramid
    10,9;8,7;6;4 »1.1km run and swim were late in the evening so couldn’t finish the pyramid properly but had been aiming just to get an easy k in and work on high elbows so was happy out with this

Saturday
    Run
    Ran from house to track and back, time out 1:03:48
    Dist 11.13 km, most of this on a running track.
    Felt fine but calves tight after. Pace avg 5:42/km Aim was just to get time on the legs and was happy with how I felt otherwise

Weights - Shoulders session
    Rower 10mins 2550m

Sunday
    Cycle
    103km
    4:18:24
    weather was not a friend today :/ Out with one of the lads from the college club. Included about a ten min coffee break just after the half way mark which is prob why we didn’t die from hypothermia on the way back!
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1075075740

March to date so
    swimming 3.1km
    cycling 152km
    running 26.5km
    happy with the week, swimming needs to pick up but happy enough so far with it

:o so march eh? had a bit of moving around with college but have actually managed to keep some sort of log, but I'm not going to be leaving it build like this again in a hurry :)
    in a nutshell, this month i set out to cover 100km running, 375 cycling and 25km swimming, got it done.
    Couple of nice cycles and a few nice runs. More lessons learnt than general fitness achieved i reckon.
    Need to make more of my morning sessions, hit and miss with swims so going to alternate swim/cycles for mornings and let my shoulders build into it a bit better, and keep my short runs in the evening going as well to and from gym. Distance needs to pick up on the runs overall though and need to get my distance built into bricks at weekends.
    Also managed to dig up my heart rate monitor so going to give this HR training a shot for April to begin with and see how i get on with it....
    All the gory details....

Monday 7/3
    Swim 2km
    Tuesday 8/3
    25.2km spin class
    3.25 run out tmill
    Wednesday 9/3
    Spin 24.8km
    Run out legs tmill after 2km
    Thursday 10/3
    Swim 2km
    Friday 11/3
    spin class 21km easy
    weights
    12/3 Saturday
    (race)
    happy with the cycling legs, the run was more of a walk on the uphill sections, running around a track all day is no use for this, but it was a great bit of cross training, and enjoyed it.
    13/3Sunday NT
    14/3 Monday NT
    15/3 Tuesday NT
    16/3Wednesday
    Swim 1km
    17/3 Thursday
    Gym Back
    Swim 2.5km
    Run 5.8km (2x2.9 to and from gym)
    18/3 Friday
    Swim 1-10 1.375km
    Gym
    19/3 Saturday
    Gym shoulders
    Run to and from gym 5.8km
    Beach run 6km
    20/3 Sunday
    Swim
    1->10,10->1 2750m ~1hr10
    21/3 Monday
    Swim 1.25k (drills)
    Gym tris
    Run 5.8km

22/3 Tuesday
    Run 2.9km
    Gym-arms
    23/3 Weds
    Swim 2km
    Run to gym and back 5.8
    Chest day
    24/3 Thursday
    25/3 Fri
    26/3 Sat
    27/3 Sunday
    Swim 3.9km 1-12;12-1
    28/3 Monday
    Run 5.3km
    29/3 Tues
    30/3 Weds
    Swim 2.01km
    Run 6.64km
    Cycle 98.5km
    31/3 Thursday
    Swim 1.2km
    Run 15.88km
    Cycle 30.43

The gym I’m in here is just under 3km away the long way round so I run to and fro, it’s a good warm up/cool down and at just under 6k total round trip it’s a nice way of adding some quick short runs into the routine. I find it makes the setting and holding a faster distance pace a little easier anyhow…just need to do a bit more of it!!
    Out of excuses now anyhow so hopefully should build up a better april. Think the distance i set my self in March could be easily smashed with simply better consistency, so going to aim for 40km swimming, 160km running and 600cycling....consistency going to be key...and coffee..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

40KM swimming per month is tougher to hit consistently than it looks on paper, and will leave you more tired than it looks on paper - compared to the other activities in your plan.

Otherwise, nice progress, and the target must surely be getting a lot more realistic now.

Yeah i think you might be right with the swimming...my hope is to get in Mon/Wed/Fri for 2-2.5km per morning and then get in a long swim on the weekend but it will prob be the max of what i can manage at the moment anyhow. The running should be alright, plenty of short runs during the week and then stretch it out on the weekends, and same formula for the bike. Start time and daylight saving hours mean i didn't get out this morning before real life takes over but it was overcast as well, hoping to get out from now on though on tues on thurs for an hour session in the morning so close to 30k, then get a good 90-100k and another short cycle in on weekends....

• Advertisement

So back at it this week, started off well but a combination of weather and generally feeling under the weather put paid to the late half of the week. This weekend was either going to be all or nothing, and it took the nothing turn. that said, i'm rested, and feel like i'm through whatever bit of illness was running me down the last week.
    All said, training for the week

Mon
    Swim
    1-10-1
    2.5km
    Run to gym and back 5.8km
    Chest

tues
    Run to gym and back 5.8km
    gym session back

wednes
    Swim
    2X100m front crawl warm up
    5 x100m high elbows (swimming with closed fists)
    5 x 100m with paddles
    5 x 100m with pull buy
    2 x 100m front crawl
    1.9km
    Was going to do the extra 100 just to make it even but feel like I'm better sticking to my plans than changing them. No point doing extra today to sacrifice a good session tomorrow.
    Gym session Legs

thurs
    Gym Shoulders session

fri
    Gym Arms
    Swim 1-9:8,5 So 58 lengths, just under the 1.5km. Session was short due to time restrictions. Actually met another half iron fella in the pool so quick chat with him was actually a nice bit of motivation. Im training on my own for this so its nice to catch up with others every so often!
    sat NT
    sun NT

So hopefully rest over the weekend and over whatever was dragging me down will see me set up for a good week. Finding it hard to get out on the bike for the short sessions but need to get on top of that. exams in a few weeks as well so bit of balance between everything is also kinda important! pretty much 16 training weeks out from the event now anyhow so need to remember that as well!!:o

Monday
    2.5km swim 10x10
    Gym session : Arms

Tuesday
    Run to gym and back 5.8km (Nice and quick in spite of < in training at the mo)
    Chest

Wednesday
    2.05km
    2x10 fc
    2x10 closed fist hec
    2x10 paddles
    2x10 pullbouy
    1x2 fc

Gym:back

Thursday
    NT

Friday
    Gym Legs

Sat
    Cycle 104km
    Tralee – dingle(n86) and back via conor pass (id actually really recommend this cycle as well, its a nice climb out of dingle up to the pass but the views on the way down were well worth it.)

Sun NT

Quest race next weekend (55km this time) and exams midweek as well. But back home so can fall back into regular routine from wed, I’ll train like normal wed-fri and take sat as a training session. Not where I want to be but exams were always going to muck things up a bit. Also probably trying to do too much this month with them looming, so missing a day piles on the pressure which is never going to be beneficial. Last weeks training wasn’t great, happy with how the swims went though and felt good to stretch the legs on the bike as well.
    15weeks...

Slightly better stuff this week, its good to be home and back in the familiar set up!

Mon: NT

Tuesday: Gym: Legs

Wednesday (home):
    Swim
    6x10 front crawl (1.5km)
    Spin Class: 24km
    Gym: light chest session

Thursday:
    Spin class 23.6km
    Gym: Back session

Friday:
    Heavy chest session
    No cardio, keeping the legs for tomorrow

Saturday
    Quest Glendalough Stage 1: Cycle – 6km
    Stage 2: Trail Run – 6km
    Stage 3: Cycle – 13km
    Stage 4: Run – 5km
    Stage 5: Cycle – 18km
    Stage 6: Trail Run – 6km
    Stage 7: Kayak – 1km
    Stage 8: Trail Run – 2km
    Good session, climbs were longer and a bit more viscous than I’d thought they would be, I should have looked at a map… definitely some room for improvement in the running again though.
    Sunday
    Gym: Arms
    Swim: 750
    250 warm up front crawl
    250 high elbow catch
    100 paddles
    100 pullbouy
    50 frontcrawl
    Tiredness from yesterday kicking in so was nice just to get a bit of pool work in at all.

So another week down, nice to be getting back into it, exams in week and a half again so nothing dramatic planned for the week ahead but hopefully just tip away! :)

Right, i'm back....this is tougher to keep than i'd imagined tbh. I need to come up with a better system for logging my training than i'm doing at the moment...obviously :P
    To be fair at least the training has being going consistently well for the last few weeks since the exams finished so thats a positive, better the training than the log book going well, but i need to stay on top of both.
    Anyway without further ado:
    Sunday
    Gym: Chest
    Cycle: turbotrainer 40mins

Monday
    Gym:Back
    Cycle: Turbotrainer session
    Swim: forgot my shorts:mad: so no swim

Tuesday
    Gym:Shoulders
    cycle->Run: 30mins cycle (5 warm up, 10 min of 20sec flat out/40sec recoveryx2)/ run 5km(30mins)
    Swim: 5x100 fc
    5x100 hec
    5x100 pullbouy
    5x100 paddles
    1x100fc sprint
    1x50fc sprint

Wednesday
    Gym:Legs
    Spin:45mins 25km
    Swim: tired but
    500m fc
    500m hec
    400pull bouy
    200m paddles
    (got caught on time in the pool and had to leave)

Thursday
    Gym:Tris
    cycle / run as per tues except cycle was 25secs on 35 off per set, and run was 5.3km for same time- felt fine and could have gone harder but just still getting the feel for the session
    Swim: tired but went swimming with one of the lads who's a competitive swimmer and he pushed me into drills, which was excellent!
    Warm Up
    300m fc
    100m back stroke

Sets x 6 200m
    50m fingerslide
    50m chicken something or other---a sculling action anyhow
    50m catch up
    50m front crawl

5x50m front kick

2 x 50m sprint to finish off

If the set looks a bit iffy, its because my recall is a bit bad, and i slowed it down a bit while trying to get used to some of the sets. the complete drill was far more horrible, the above was actually enjoyable!

Friday
    Gym:Bis
    Spin: 47mins, 27.6km
    Swim:100m fc
    2x 100m fingersslide
    5x 100m sprints
    1x50m sprint
    Short session but was immediately after the spin and had to head off early. Might also have been shattered... :)

Saturday: rest day- had hoped to get out for a long cycle but between lightning storms and a load of driving the day before i was happy to rest up tbh.

Sunday
    Run: 45mins easy

onwards with the training and i'll see if i start using MFP again or resort to notebook by the bed for logging. i'll try both and see which works for the week.

Bike options:
    Went bike shopping the other day as well. I'm looking at a carbon cube road bike with Di2 Ultegra, getting a zero saddle post and clip on aero bars. All new, all in for 2k. its an older model cube (2013 i think). One of the lads i know works in the store who's advice i would trust has the same frame and has no complaints. Im just wondering if the Di2 is jumping the gun a bit. There is a hefty price drop on it, so its still seems pretty good but i wonder would there be a better frame and mech gear set ultregra to be had for similar money??? I had thought about going for an all out TTbike, but I've been advised in a few places for my budget, better to go with a modified road bike and a proper fitting. I'm inclined to go that way but if anyone had any suggestions i'd be all ears :)

Monday
    Bit of a nightmare morning so no gym.
    Made gym in afternoon-back
    Slept for evening, not feeling great.

Tuesday
    Morning gym legs
    Afternoon cycle run 35/25*2
    Run was 15mins @12kmph
    Night swim
    2*100 fc/hec/fingerslide/pullbouy/fckicks/
    1*50back stroke/fc

Wednesday
    Morning gym shoulders
    Afternoon swim
    3*100fc/hec/fingerslide/pullbouy/paddles
    1*50fckick/dc
    Evening spin to run

Spin &80%ftw 260 watts

45mins 25.1km 635kcals straight into

Tmill 15mins @12kmph

Thursday
    Morning gym tris
    Afternoon swim 1-10-1(100lengths/2.5km)
    Spin 46.17 mins 720 kcals. 27km at 325ftw
    Into jog 1.8km 11.2mins

Friday
    Morning gym bis and light legs for reps.
    Lunch spin.
    724kcals. 27.3km. 47.47mins.
    Evening. Swim
    300m fc warm up
    3*100 hex/fingerslide/pullbouy/paddles
    1*100 fc cool down
    1600total. Felt good in the water.

Saturday
    Morning Gym Chest
    Took the day off from cardio, was after catching up on me and ended up sleeping for a good bit of the afternoon. Had thought about getting out on the bike but cycling to and form town for some errands was the most i did!

Sunday
    Morning; Cycle:2:02:32/54.97km
    avg hr 154
    avg speed 27.1kmph
    1674 kcals
    Good bit of climbing, cork to bandon and back. Day was nice, thought about going further but hadn't got enough food in me and didn't want to change plans just to feel crap in the end. can't find the ant stick for the garmin at the moment but i'll update it when i do. Good to get back out on the road again.
    Gym: Back session

Went with keeping my training on an email draft and updating during the week on the phone when i had the chance...works so far anyhow :)

also while the bike sessions and swims are going ok, i really need to up my running... the brick sessions are great but no substitute for clocking up more kms...june is going to have to have a focus on them or i'll end up walking the end of the poxy race in august

pretty good week for the most part, the weather doesn't half help!!! sunburnt on bloody saturday though which killed the sunday/monday a bit but still got a bit done.

Monday
    Work stuff to take care of so only made gym in evening. Legs.

Tuesday.
    Morning. Gym. Shoulders.
    Afternoon. Cycle to bandon. Great weather.
    55km 1hr58.14, avg 28kmph, 165bpm.
    Evening swim sets
    4*100 fc/hec/fingerslide/pullbouy/paddles
    Legs were near cramping constantly from cycling earlier. Bit of a slump mentally round the one km mark but got through and got it done. (2km total)

Wednesday.
    Morning. Gym tri's
    lunch swim
    pyramid 1-10-1 2.5km
    Afternoon Cycle
    Cycled to garretstown beach and back, met some mates there so split the cycle in two
    out:
    30km, 1hr07, 26.6kmph 159bpm (distance/cycle was longer but hit the garmin by mistake and lost the first bit of the ride which obviously means it never happened :) )
    back:
    37.44km. 1hr27. 25.8kmph 161bpm.

Thursday:
    work played up on the routine again a bit so was gym only
    Bis and oh,front, and back squats (high reps low weights, 3 x supersets)

Friday:

Saturday:
    Morning: Cycle out by garettstown, got slightly lost...again...but anyhow
    78.2km 3hr02. 25.8kmph 161bpm
    that climb back in by cork airport is a thing of nightmares:eek:

Afternoon: Gym Back session
    was going to swim after but didn't have the energy

Sunday: Gym Legs
    was tired and feeling the sunburn to be honest so was just happy to get a good legs session in :/

Monday:
    Cycle: Kept it short, was thinking about a longer one but traffic on the roads was mental and it was an evening cycle so didn't fancy pushing my luck
    41.8km 1hr30 27.8kmph 166bpm

This week ahead I'm looking at gearing back up the running as planned... think i'll start light and build it.
    I'm currently not taking anything during my cycles apart from a salt tablet thrown into one water bottle and just water in the other. i'll stay off the gels as much as possible so i actually get some use out of them in races.
    I also had planned on doing the cork city half today initially for a time, but funds are tight with the planned bike purchase so i had to leave it aside. i have a feeling i'll regret missing it but anyhow. Hope to get some open water swims in this week in the evenings as well. Maybe even swim the course up in dublin next weekend with one of the lads. anyhow, sin é for now :D

so i have a bit of catching up to do again, but here i am anyhow. I'll fill in the blanks when i can find my ant stick for the garmin but i'm just going to keep it till the last week
    Mon
    Morning - gym bi's and light legs, followed by easy half hr run on tmill
    afternoon swim 2x100m fc/hec/fingerslide/pullbouy/paddles
    1x100 fc
    2x50 fc
    evening: spin class 2.7watt/kg, 26km, 711kcal, 44:50

tuesday
    morning
    Gym, chest session, followed by easy 1km in pool (4x250m fc)
    afternoon Run. Easy, 1 hour 10km road.
    Evening spin 607 kcal 23.8 km 45:27 2.2watts/kg

wednesday
    morning gym back session followed by run- intervals- set of of sprints 20 secs on 20 easy
    afternoon, cycle HR session, 2hrs turbo trainer
    evening- supposed to swim but was not feeling great

thursday
    morning gym session legs followed by easy 30min run on tmill
    afternoon swim intervals and drills. got a bit of advice from one of the pool lifeguards, nice enough to give me a bit of coaching. couple of solid pieces of advice to tidy up my stroke so going to incorporate them in now hopefully. again, training outside of a team is great for being able to set you own schedule but you lose out massively on stuff like this
    Evening spin 25kmm 43:19 655kcal 2.5 watts/kg

friday
    morning gym shoulders
    was supposed to swim an easy km after this again but was shattered leaving the gym. spent the entirety of the rest of the weekend hitting lemsip, being sick and on sunday at least did a load of food prep.

I've started much better planning of my weeks training as well, its divided up nicely into blocks with a bit of a better roundness to it, i hope. being sick for the few days was not ideal but theres worse things in life than a sore throat and a cold. one thing i have decided is to get a bit of yoga into the mix now as well, hopefully help with staving off any other delays :) I'm also looking at getting one or two triathlons in over the next few weeks. just be nice to get a few competitive 1500m open water swims under the belt.
    sin e for now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Solvang

i went through similar same process/thoughts on getting a bike last year, in the end opted for Cannondale Slice TT bike which i bought in Cycle Superstore, 'entry level' but very good reviews. They also took my old bike as a trade in which helped. Would recommend the Slice, having now trained on it for about 3 months and raced it twice...

Advertisement