Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Rewrap Your Batteries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

Id be more inclined to dump a battery after its starting to show wear and tear. Its a good indication (for me) to dump it if its looking tatty .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

dball wrote: »
    Id be more inclined to dump a battery after its starting to show wear and tear. Its a good indication (for me) to dump it if its looking tatty .

Depends how old the batteries are,I have some 18650's that are only a month old & are slightly ripped,caused by the Kooper 60w & my fault for rushing in there like a Bull :D:D:D

Anyone have any dealings with this Vendor...
    http://www.perfectvaping.ie/accessories/18650-battery-pvc-sleeve-25-pack.html

dball wrote: »

Depends how old the batteries are,I have some 18650's that are only a month old & are slightly ripped,caused by the Kooper 60w & my fault for rushing in there like a Bull :D:D:D

http://www.perfectvaping.ie/accessories/18650-battery-pvc-sleeve-25-pack.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I use NKON for my various batteries: http://eu.nkon.nl/

Just got 4 Samsung 30Q 18650's and a load of Fujitsu Pro AA's (that hold their charge while stored, good for travel that way and wish there were some 18650's built like that).

Also you can get zero rated VAT if your vat reg-ed but prices are very good even if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Here is one link to buy them or anyone know of a better link with cheaper prices (not China)

20 wraps for under a tenner euro is alright if it going to arrive in a week rather than a month. I'm damn hard on batteries, throwing them in my pockets with other stuff. I've only needed to re-wrap about 20 times in the past 2 years when I ordered 3 meters from Fastech and still have about a meter left from that batch :D
    I have some 18650's that are only a month old & are slightly ripped

Ditto, the subox was horrible for getting batteries out of, and I always had to use the corner of the battery door to pry them out :-S
    http://www.perfectvaping.ie/accessor...e-25-pack.html

Might be ok, but lack of any phone number whatsoever is a lil suspicious - bloody cheap though, for that price it might be worth a punt.

• Advertisement

was.deevey wrote: »
    20 wraps for under a tenner euro is alright if it going to arrive in a week rather than a month. I'm damn hard on batteries, throwing them in my pockets with other stuff. I've only needed to re-wrap about 20 times in the past 2 years when I ordered 3 meters from Fastech and still have about a meter left from that batch :D

Ditto, the subox was horrible for getting batteries out of, and I always had to use the corner of the battery door to pry them out :-S

Might be ok, but lack of any phone number whatsoever is a lil suspicious - bloody cheap though, for that price it might be worth a punt.

I never got round to buying those wraps yet,must buy some this week,I found their phone number eventually,it's an 086 number under Terms & Conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm damn hard on batteries, throwing them in my pockets with other stuff.

Seriously, don't do that. Thats incredibly dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Agreed. I had a battery heat up in my pocket because I threw it in there without thinking with coins and keys. I only noticed it was getting hot when I put my hand in for some change, got roasted! Managed to grab it for long enough to get it out and let ti cool down. That would have continued to heat and eventually could have burst. You can get battery cases, plastic ones that hold 2-3 batt's with divider, for a couple of euro.

I'm careful never to do it with any metal in my pocket (not a complete idiot y'know :p ), I do have a few plastic boxes as well, which I do use but they don't always fit in my pockets or I just drop the dead ones into the side pocket of my cargos, hence batteries tend to float around loose more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm careful never to do it with any metal in my pocket (not a complete idiot y'know :p ), I do have a few plastic boxes as well, which I do use but they don't always fit in my pockets or I just drop the dead ones into the side pocket of my cargos, hence batteries tend to float around loose more often than not.

Ah fair enough...

I think the recent shift away from mods with built in batteries and towards replaceable 18650s is going to result in a lot more stories in the media about 'exploding e-cigs'. Battery safety is only going to become a bigger issue in the future.

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/exploding-e-cigs-and-vape-pens/

There has to be a lot of people charging via usb passthrough on the mod and leaving it on overnight rather that forking out for a dedicated balanced charger. I'm not sure how safe that is either.

• Advertisement

I think the recent shift away from mods with built in batteries and towards replaceable 18650s is going to result in a lot more stories in the media about 'exploding e-cigs'. Battery safety is only going to become a bigger issue in the future.

I'd be really more concerned with a built in LiPo pack in an ecig exploding than the (reasonably) safe chemistry 18650 IMR / INR, they can take alot of abuse before they go up in smoke and even then its most likely they will just get hot and vent.
    There has to be a lot of people charging via usb passthrough on the mod and leaving it on overnight rather that forking out for a dedicated balanced charger. I'm not sure how safe that is either.

Balanced charging would be nice in future devices, however dual charging IMHO is fine so long as the circuit charges batteries based on highest independent battery value like the Cuboid. I would be worried about the long term battery heath rather than safety if you are constantly charging them like that.

Advertisement