Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arklow

• 01-03-2016 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

What's Arklow like to live in? Would it be suitable for retirement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Zelda247 wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

any elaboration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

My parents retired there. But they had family locally. They are near the Arklow Bay hotel, and love the area. I suppose, like many towns, it can depend on the area they are in. The lack of transport and local health facilities would be a concern for me though, unless they're close to the train station or bus stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I have family living in and near Arklow - all a bit off retirement yet - but I visit them regularly and get the chance to see it in all seasons.

Pros: a big town, plenty of shops (though not in the town centre so much) good road links with the new M11, railway station, regular bus links to Dublin and Wexford, convenient to lots of beaches, walks etc etc - though you'll need a car for all of them, some lovely houses in certain parts of the town, and more reasonable than in many other spots. Plenty of churches of all denominations, golf clubs, bridge clubs etc Cinema too in Bridgewater centre.

Cons: your nearest big hospital (with full A&E) is St Vincents, Dublin 4, so if you have health issues you might need to consider that. (If you lived a few minutes down the road in e.g. Inch then you go to Wexford General) There is a primary health centre in the town and I know a lot of people can get scans etc done there so that's a plus. A car is really essential because though there's a good bit of public transport the town is so strung out that it's too far to walk anywhere for most older folk.
    Town centre really, really needs a good lick of paint.
    Can't think of any garages for buying/servicing cars but I'm sure there must be some.. The town has suffered a lot with industry closures in the past 20 years or more and has never really found it's niche again.

Saying all of that it's as good a place as any for people of your- and my - generation unless you have very specific needs and queries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Very true unless its 7-9am.

lottpaul wrote: »
    I have family living in and near Arklow - all a bit off retirement yet - but I visit them regularly and get the chance to see it in all seasons.

Pros: a big town, plenty of shops (though not in the town centre so much) good road links with the new M11, railway station, regular bus links to Dublin and Wexford, convenient to lots of beaches, walks etc etc - though you'll need a car for all of them, some lovely houses in certain parts of the town, and more reasonable than in many other spots. Plenty of churches of all denominations, golf clubs, bridge clubs etc Cinema too in Bridgewater centre.

Cons: your nearest big hospital (with full A&E) is St Vincents, Dublin 4, so if you have health issues you might need to consider that. (If you lived a few minutes down the road in e.g. Inch then you go to Wexford General) There is a primary health centre in the town and I know a lot of people can get scans etc done there so that's a plus. A car is really essential because though there's a good bit of public transport the town is so strung out that it's too far to walk anywhere for most older folk.
    Town centre really, really needs a good lick of paint.
    Can't think of any garages for buying/servicing cars but I'm sure there must be some.. The town has suffered a lot with industry closures in the past 20 years or more and has never really found it's niche again.

Saying all of that it's as good a place as any for people of your- and my - generation unless you have very specific needs and queries?

When you say the town has suffered and needs a good lick of paint I find that with a lot of Irish towns they are very ugly, are there any other towns that are attractive but affordable on the East Coast?

Ugly might be putting it a bit strongly - some towns are blessed with wonderful natural settings or the odd ancient castle or church - but at the end of the day you can't live off scenery and history alone. Facilities matter. There are also many Tidy Town committees that do great work in adding nice touches to their localities.

For an affordable coastal town Arklow is pretty good. Wicklow is a little more expensive - nearer to Dublin etc. If you need a town that is actually on the sea then the next one of any size going south is Wexford itself but there are wonderful little villages like Curracloe too. (If not, consider Gorey, but it's a little bit off the sea) If you go closer into Dublin then Greystones is next but is much more expensive. There are smaller places like Kilcoole in Wicklow, Courtown in Wexford etc but they wouldn't have anything like the facilities of a bigger town. There are advantages and disadvantages to any town but you really need to sit down and consider whats really important to you and then go and visit some of them.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Ugly might be putting it a bit strongly - some towns are blessed with wonderful natural settings or the odd ancient castle or church - but at the end of the day you can't live off scenery and history alone. Facilities matter. There are also many Tidy Town committees that do great work in adding nice touches to their localities.

For an affordable coastal town Arklow is pretty good. Wicklow is a little more expensive - nearer to Dublin etc. If you need a town that is actually on the sea then the next one of any size going south is Wexford itself but there are wonderful little villages like Curracloe too. (If not, consider Gorey, but it's a little bit off the sea) If you go closer into Dublin then Greystones is next but is much more expensive. There are smaller places like Kilcoole in Wicklow, Courtown in Wexford etc but they wouldn't have anything like the facilities of a bigger town. There are advantages and disadvantages to any town but you really need to sit down and consider whats really important to you and then go and visit some of them.

Thanks, does not need to be beside the sea, just looking for somewhere attractive with reasonable transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Del.Monte wrote: »
    No.
    My late mother in law and father in law moved to Arklow in 2010. There is plenty for retirees to do. I got her involved with the positive aging and that developed into three separate groups that are actively seeking new members. My father in law is involved with the mens shed and the Irish wheelchair association seniors group.
    There are poetry clubs suited to seniors and The local PP Martin Cosgrove is an absolute gentleman who devotes a lot of his time to the many senior's groups

John Earls would be the man to speak to about buying a car

• Advertisement

My late mother in law and father in law moved to Arklow in 2010. There is plenty for retirees to do. I got her involved with the positive aging and that developed into three separate groups that are actively seeking new members. My father in law is involved with the mens shed and the Irish wheelchair association seniors group.
    There are poetry clubs suited to seniors and The local PP Martin Cosgrove is an absolute gentleman who devotes a lot of his time to the many senior's groups

John Earls would be the man to speak to about buying a car

Thanks so much, we have a car so that's fine. We have a smallish budget but would like to buy a house if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

I think its would be a great place to retire. Anywhere near Ferrybank would be ideal. You have shopping, medical, bus stops, leisure amenities on the doorstep.

As other posters have mentioned main st has been in decline for a while. Its best chance of survival was a traffic reduction plan that unfortunately was torpedoed by the 'Down With that sort of thing' brigade.

In reality the shopping center at Ferrybank is the new town center now, probably better for a retiree anyway.

Besides Arklow are there any other medium/large towns in Wicklow/Wexford with reasonable transport links suitable for retirement. Not Bray or Gravestones as our budget is only £160k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Besides Arklow are there any other medium/large towns in Wicklow/Wexford with reasonable transport links suitable for retirement. Not Bray or Gravestones as our budget is only £160k.

Best options probably Wicklow town so.

Mahogany wrote: »
    Best options probably Wicklow town so.

Anyone any thoughts on living in Wicklow town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Baybay

My parents retired to the town a number of years ago & have been happy with their decision.
    There are banks, a credit union, post office, a couple of doctors, a primary care centre, numerous pharmacies, cafes, supermarkets etc.
    Although they don't use it, there is an active retirement group.
    The town also has a tennis club, swimming pool & golf course etc amongst others.
    Property seems to be moving a bit but having a look on Daft will give you an idea how far your budget will stretch in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Anyone any thoughts on living in Wicklow town?

Imagine a skobier version of Greystones.
    But €160k won't be enough.

Imagine a skobier version of Greystones.
    But €160k won't be enough.

Yeh thinking we can't afford it which is sad. Never mind hopefully we will find somewhere nice elsewhere in either Wicklow/Wexford, its hard when you don't really know the areas.

Advertisement