Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppressor Application before renewal

Options
  • 01-03-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

When I applied for my license for my 22lr I was not granted a suppressor with the rifle at the time as the super had no idea how they work. I think he watched a few too many action hero movies.

As there is now a new super who is much better in that regard I am wondering is it possible to apply for a suppressor before my license is up for renewal and if so how I should go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    When I applied for my license for my 22lr I was not granted a suppressor with the rifle at the time as the super had no idea how they work. I think he watched a few too many action hero movies.

As there is now a new super who is much better in that regard I am wondering is it possible to apply for a suppressor before my license is up for renewal and if so how I should go about it?

Yes, you can apply for a suppressor now if you like. It will cost €80 though if it is granted as the suppressor is classed as a new application for a firearm.

If you wait and apply for the suppressor at the same time as you are applying for your renewal, then it won't cost you an extra €80.

It all depends on whether you want to wait or not.

I think you need a FAC1 form and a letter spelling out the reasons why you need a suppressor. You'll have to double check that though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When is the rifle up for renewal?

As Battlecorp said any application for a suppressor that is NOT included in the application/renewal for the firearm, legally, should cost you €80 as it's a firearm in its own right. Some lads have said they have not been charged, but this should be classed as the exception and not the rule.

If your renewal is only a little away then i'd wait and apply for it with the FCR. If not then you can apply for it now using the FCA1. Again some lads have said they did not have to use the FCA1, but as above this should be taken as the exception and not the rule.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

As usual, different Garda stations, different results but I had 2 moderators granted, one at time of substitution and the other as an amendment to the existing licence. I was not charged for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

Any point in ringing to check? Or will I get two different answers one when I ring and another when i apply?

When you first applied did you tick the box for the suppressor?
    When you didn't get it were you refused or did the Super just tell you (verbally) he wasn't issuing it?
    When is your renewal?

Ringing to check means nothing really. They can say whatever they like on the phone as it's not binding and unless its the Super anyone else's opinion is just that, an opinion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Did ya get anywhere with this?

I've been so busy with work, I haven't got a chance to do anything with it. As my license is valid for another two years, I think I will go ahead and apply for the mod and fingers crossed won't be charged

Cass wrote: »
    When you first applied did you tick the box for the suppressor?
    When you didn't get it were you refused or did the Super just tell you (verbally) he wasn't issuing it?
    When is your renewal?

I had the box ticked alright but the super wasn't happy with it so asked for a meeting with me and during this meeting, he verbally refused the mod.

My renewal isn't for another 2 years so I think I will go ahead and apply so the 'S' and hope they don't charge me

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    .......... he verbally refused the mod.
    Bit late now, but a verbal refusal is not, and never should, acceptable. You should always seek any refusal in writing as it's law and you're entitled to be given it in writing.

I say a bit late now as you have 30 days from the date of refusal to appeal, but as you never received a written refusal you might be able to appeal however i think this is a long shot.

I'd apply again, in writing, using the FCA1 and don't accept a verbal refusal if he goes that route again.

Bit late now, but a verbal refusal is not, and never should, acceptable. You should always seek any refusal in writing as it's law and you're entitled to be given it in writing.

I say a bit late now as you have 30 days from the date of refusal to appeal, but as you never received a written refusal you might be able to appeal however i think this is a long shot.

Thanks Cass, I will know for next time.
    I'd apply again, in writing, using the FCA1 and don't accept a verbal refusal if he goes that route again.

That is my plan alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

What is your reason for wanting one can I ask.? I didn't apply for one when getting my license but I could really do with one this time of the year. I'm shooting on the farm and because the cattle are housed this time of the year it kind of restricts where I can shoot. Startling cattle in a shed is never a good idea !!!

Thanks Cass. That seems to cover me. Looks like I will have to reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha wrote: »
    What is your reason for wanting one can I ask.? I didn't apply for one when getting my license but I could really do with one this time of the year. I'm shooting on the farm and because the cattle are housed this time of the year it kind of restricts where I can shoot. Startling cattle in a shed is never a good idea !!!

Don't suppose you've any deer rabbits you need cleared off your land? :D

If I had I don't think my .22 would be much use !!!! I'm actually running out of moving targets that's why I'm looking at getting in to the range side of things. Are you up and running with your rifle in courtlough yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha wrote: »
    If I had I don't think my .22 would be much use !!!! I'm actually running out of moving targets that's why I'm looking at getting in to the range side of things. Are you up and running with your rifle in courtlough yet ?

Ah well, I need my license before any hunting will be done. Open to offers.....anyone??? :pac:

I'm afraid I don't have the rifle yet. The seller had planned to meet me at courtlough on Friday, but his plans changed and it didn't happen.

I was there today, blasting some clays, having great fun. Hitting most of them now. I gave the gun a bit of a clean too. Was a bit nervous taking it apart, but it was easy enough.

Nice way to spend a couple of hours alright. I can't compare rifle shooting to shotgun shooting as I haven't fired a shotgun but I would imagine you will find it a bit more laid back. I added a bipod recently nice little purchase from Amazon and it is working a treat so hopefully I will get out a bit more come the longer evenings

Advertisement