Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFQ Levels and Degrees, Diplomas etc.

Options
  • 01-03-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was recently looking at the NFQ's website here and have left it somewhat confussed:

What would be considered the higher / better qualifaction, a Level 7 Ordinary Bachelors Degree or a Level 8 Higher Diploma for example ? Are they saying that a Higher Diploma at Level 8 is in part with a Honours Bachelors Degree, or that a Masters and Post Grad are both equal, as both appear at Level 9 ?

Many thanks.

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The pre-requisites for a post-grad diploma are usually a Level 8 degree.

So you cannot do a Level 9 post-grad diploma until you have achieved a Level 8 qualification.

There are essentially four different qualifications you mention in your post:

Level 7 Ordinary Level Degree
    Level 8 Honours level Degree
    Level 9 Post-grad diploma and
    Level 9 Masters Degree

The difference between a Post-Grad Diploma and an MSc is the thesis component, with the latter usually requiring a large(ish) thesis. So the Level 9 MSc would be held in higher regard than a Level 9 Post-Grad Diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hello Tom,

Thank you for that - but then where does this leave the likes of Level 8 Diploma for example, is it "on par" with a Level 8 Degree, is it better than a Level 7 Degree ?

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hello Tom,

Thank you for that - but then where does this leave the likes of Level 8 Diploma for example, is it "on par" with a Level 8 Degree, is it better than a Level 7 Degree ?

Can you give me examples (links) to a Level 8 diploma? I didn't think there were any.

Unless, that is, they are conversion courses - i.e. you have a BA/BSc in subject area X and you want to "convert" to subject area Y. Maybe that's it?

Edit: Looks like I was right. See here from the NQF website:

"The Higher Diploma is normally awarded following completion of a programme of one year duration (60 ECTS credits). Entry to a programme leading to a Higher Diploma is typically for holders of Honours Bachelor Degrees but can also be for holders of Ordinary Bachelor Degrees. It is of note that the Higher Diploma is typically in a different field of learning than the initial award. "

So you do need a level 8/Level 7 before enrolling in a level 8 diploma and it is a "conversion" type award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi Tom,

Thank you, yes I have seen that information on the NFQ but it does not actually deal with the final question ...

Is a Level 8 Diploma considered to be "on par" with a Level 8 Honours Degree, along with being a higher level of education than a Level 7 Ordinary Degree ?

At first glance, from the NFQ diagram, it would appear that they are, but in the next breath if I were to suggest that I held a Level 8 Diploma and insist that it was equal to a Level 8 degree, it might be misleading which I would not intentionally do.

Thanks,

G.

Technically, they are on a par - both level 8 on the national framework.

However, are they equal, technically not - one is a four year programme, the other is a one year programme. As you have acknowledged, to get the higher diploma, at level 8, you already have to have completed a four year qualification.

Put it anther way - if you had a four year, Level 8 Bachelors degree in Business and decided you wanted to do a Level 8 higher diploma in ICT. Would employers accept that your one year of ICT knowledge is comparable to a person who has studied ICT for four years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement