Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Racing Photographer

Options
  • 01-03-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All,
    I've recently started to try my hand at horse racing photography and generally try to get to a meeting once a week. I'm trying to get a bit more exposure so thought this would be a good place for people to see my work.
    All feedback is welcome and if anyone knows owners/trainers/jockeys/yard workers, etc that might have an interest in getting a few photos it would be great if they could have me in mind.
    Below are links to my twitter and facebook pages so take a look and let me know what you think!
    Thanks,
    Declan

https://twitter.com/DecMcPhotos
    https://www.facebook.com/DeclanMcEquinePhotography

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Hi All,
    I've recently started to try my hand at horse racing photography and generally try to get to a meeting once a week. I'm trying to get a bit more exposure so thought this would be a good place for people to see my work.
    All feedback is welcome and if anyone knows owners/trainers/jockeys/yard workers, etc that might have an interest in getting a few photos it would be great if they could have me in mind.
    Below are links to my twitter and facebook pages so take a look and let me know what you think!
    Thanks,
    Declan

https://twitter.com/DecMcPhotos
    https://www.facebook.com/DeclanMcEquinePhotography

Photos look good.

2 suggestions, firstly the point to point scene may be more fruitful for you, plenty of owners and trainers in that spave with only a handful of runners who may want a keepsake of their first winner etc. Mick O'Leary, Wylie or JP are unlikely to want a print of some horse of their hundreds in training winning a maiden hurdle in Gowran or Clonmel.

Secondly, most small trainers yards will have a Facebook page of their own, no reason you can't post a heavily watermarked copy of a photo of a winner or a lovely action shot to their page, or at least tag them the shots on your own page. Good way to show them your work and keep you in mind should the need any specific work done

Just my 1-50 bet on a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Taff

Nice set of photos.

Have a word with the race courses too, they may be able to help with access to less public areas.

I'm sure the yards might show an interest - the market may be with the lower class of animal as they don't usually get photographed but their owners might be more interested in getting the prints.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MacAttack84

Thanks guys..

Hurleronditch - i'm planning on getting to some point to points in next couple of months so maybe i'll get something out of that alright.. At the moment i'm really just doing it as a hobbie and for some practice so I don't mind getting a photo of Faugheen and the likes coming over the last just even for myself! I must take a look for the smaller trainers on Facebook, I try to tag any of the smaller yards on my twitter posts but haven't really done that on facebook so will give that a go!

Taff - I have actually been on to a couple of the tracks and as I have the necessary insurance i'm able to get access to the track itself so next step now is getting some recognition and having the smaller yards become familiar with my work.

Appreciate the tips and the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For twitter use more hashtags, ask for RT in your tweet and when tweeting sometimes include racing websites/big accounts for more exposure e.g.hi @goracing do you like my photos from....)
    Dint forget if you begin your tweet with '@goracing' it's not easily viewable to all.

Nice photos btw.

dinneenp wrote: »
    For twitter use more hashtags, ask for RT in your tweet and when tweeting sometimes include racing websites/big accounts for more exposure e.g.hi @goracing do you like my photos from....)
    Dint forget if you begin your tweet with '@goracing' it's not easily viewable to all.

Nice photos btw.

Thanks for the tips - I wouldn't have been a big user of twitter before this so helpful to be given tips on how to get noticed more... Appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

As far as i know its a fairly closed shop
    healyracing.ie have been official racing photograhers for 40 years
    every horse in every race is photographed and they have access to all owners details and you get a sample photograph posted to you after your horse runs , hoping you will order
    huge costs involved for them so i cant see it being to easy to compete with them

Heres a link

http://healyracing.ie/page/home/

knighted wrote: »
    As far as i know its a fairly closed shop
    healyracing.ie have been official racing photograhers for 40 years
    every horse in every race is photographed and they have access to all owners details and you get a sample photograph posted to you after your horse runs , hoping you will order
    huge costs involved for them so i cant see it being to easy to compete with them

Heres a link

http://healyracing.ie/page/home/

Thanks Knighted - i'm aware of Pat and Co and they do have the market fairly well wrapped up - it's a very good operation they have in place. I wouldn't be looking to compete with them I guess - i'd be happy with getting an accreditation with a publication of some sort to start with and go from there! Thanks again for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Taff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks Knighted - i'm aware of Pat and Co and they do have the market fairly well wrapped up - it's a very good operation they have in place. I wouldn't be looking to compete with them I guess - i'd be happy with getting an accreditation with a publication of some sort to start with and go from there! Thanks again for the help!

You could try sending in your photos to publications like The Irish Field, Horse&Hound, etc. as well as local papers. If they publish them, you usually get a fee (check with local papers about this as some don't always credit the photo).

Taff wrote: »

Hi Taff - yeah it's been on the cards for a while that - sounds like the race tracks themselves have their own dedicated photographers and they've decided they're pretty much the only one's allowed to take photos at meetings.. I follow a few of the amateur photographers on twitter that are being affected by the changes and it'll be a great shame that they aren't allowed to take photos anymore because they aren't in it to make money (like me it's just a hobby to them so they don't even sell the photo's). I just hope the same thing doesn't happen over here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement