Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking question

Options
  • 01-03-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So I have two virtual machines running on the same physical hardware (VMWare Vcenter 6 environment). Both are connected to the same virtual network, both are in the same IP range, with the same DNS/Default Gateway/Netmask.

Machine 1 is CentOS 7, Machine 2 is Ubuntu Desktop 15.14.

CentOS can connect out to the internet, update packages and so on, whereas when I run apt-get update on the Ubuntu machine, it errors out saying it is unable to resolve the proxy.

I can't ping the proxy (but can ping the default gateway, can get on the internet using a web browser on the ubuntu machine. Having said that, I get other errors related to TLS which I think is related, but haven't a clue).

Any ideas where I start? Obviously there is something on the ubuntu machine that's giving me jib, but I'm not sure where to start.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hey Tom. I had a quick browse and came up with the following. http://askubuntu.com/questions/578260/ubuntu-installed-on-vmware-cannot-get-access-to-internet I'm not sure if it will help you though, but it might be worth a look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I had an issue with a Linux box on VMware 5.5 somewhat similar.
    No access to other machines.
    Issue was the IP , gateway and Dns were not on the same subnet. After changing this and restarting it worked .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I'm back in work tomorrow.

By process of elimination, it has to be something on the ubuntu box, I reckon.

I'll set up something on the ubuntu machine to check (internal, within the organisation) network connectivity. I'm connecting using vSphere client, so I'm technically on the console. I'll try ssh tomorrow and see if that works. Forgot to try it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

I had a similar problem and it was because it defaulted to IPV6
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9940/convince-apt-get-not-to-use-ipv6-method

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, this has just gotten ridiculous. :)

On the console, I fired up Firefox and went to Google. Firefox asked me for authentication for the proxy, so I entered my regular Windows/Active Directory username password. Could surf the net no problem with Firefox.

Went back to the command line, did an apt-get update and it worked perfectly.

Mad, Ted.

Edit: Just tried an update on the CentOS machine, did not work. Fired up the web browser, authenticated on the proxy, retried the update and it worked.

So it's obviously the connection to the outside world that's the issue, nothing else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement