Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisteria Trees

Options
  • 01-03-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am looking for a pretty trees to plant either side of my driveway, I think there will be sufficient space to plant 2 on each side. Would Wisteria Trees be a good choice?. What advice can ye give on the type to plant and what I should look for when purchasing. The house in in north cork, on good soil but fairly exposed.
    All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Pinky123 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am looking for a pretty trees to plant either side of my driveway, I think there will be sufficient space to plant 2 on each side. Would Wisteria Trees be a good choice?. What advice can ye give on the type to plant and what I should look for when purchasing. The house in in north cork, on good soil but fairly exposed.
    All advice appreciated

Wisteria generally grows as a climbing vine. I have read that the vine can be trained to grow up another tree and when they do the pictures of the flowers look great. I think this is a long term project and might not work for very long in a fairly exposed site. I'm in north Cork too and planted tilia cordata (also called lime trees) along the drive way. They eventually grow fairly big so make sure you have enough space. I also think sorbus aria/ whitebeam might be worth considering, but I could only find grafted ones this year. I wanted just the standard wild type whitebeam and not a grafted cultivar.

When purchasing look for straight stems with no sign of disease. In getting trees for decoration awkward angled branches and mechanical damage or markings should be avoided. If you are planting bare root trees you should work fast before the spring convinces the dormant plants to start growing before they are settled in their new position.

Two sturdy stakes and a small cross piece of timber to fix to a purpose made tree tie should give enough support while the roots get established. I used cable ties to fix the support posts to the cross piece of timber. I have also put some mulch/horse bedding around the trunk of the trees to reduce weed competition and give them some extra nutrients. With smaller trees I have used old nylon tights to tie them to their support and just used one post. Keep an eye out for bark been striped (in my case by a hare as I noticed last weekend, although this might be uncommon). I have put some old drainage pipe around the stems of the trees that were attacked so I'm hoping there wasn't too much damage done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, wisteria are not trees. Also, while they can get very big, they are quite slow to start flowering - mine was 7 or 8 years before it flowered.

Advertisement