Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being charged for taking away old washer/dryer

Options
  • 01-03-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

My washer dryer died but it's covered with an extended warranty through a company called Domestic and General Insurance.

All has been arranged but then they asked if I wanted to get the old appliance picked up at a cost when the new one was delivered. I agreed and paid it but as far as I understand it this should be covered in the price of the new unit.

I'm already paying a delivery charge which I accept but then to be told I also have to pay for collection and recycling of the old appliance doesn't sit well.

I've logged a complaint with customer service and quoted the WEEE directive. They did mention terms and conditions of my policy but I stated that terms and conditions do not allow them to circumvent the law of the land.

If I get no joy I may consider raising a complaint with whatever authority deals with the insurance industry.

Am I within my right to expect this to be covered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can bring the appliance for recycling free of charge yourself but they don't have to collect it from you for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

You can bring the appliance for recycling free of charge yourself but they don't have to collect it from you for free.
    I'm afraid what you said contradicts the information provided here:

"If a product is being delivered you are entitled to have the old item collected at the same time for no extra cost on the same one-for-one, like for like basis. If a new product is being delivered to a customer’s home retailers cannot charge for collection of the waste equipment (although a retailer can charge a delivery fee)."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/recycling_waste_from_electrical_and_electronic_equipment.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Cabaal wrote: »

It seems the op is receiving a replacement rather than buying a new one. The retailer may be required to take away an old one when a new one is bought and delivered but perhaps not when when an insurance company is replacing it. Insurance companies may not be subject to the same requirements as retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Xcellor wrote: »
    My washer dryer died but it's covered with an extended warranty through a company called Domestic and General Insurance.

All has been arranged but then they asked if I wanted to get the old appliance picked up at a cost when the new one was delivered. I agreed and paid it.

Am I within my right to expect this to be covered?

Your rights cover buying a new machine not a replacement through an insurance company.

Did you buy a new machine? I'm trying to understand why you agreed to pay delivery for a replacement item.

• Advertisement

Your rights cover buying a new machine not a replacement through an insurance company.

Did you buy a new machine? I'm trying to understand why you agreed to pay delivery for a replacement item.

The insurance plan states that I am responsible for delivery of new unit if they are unable to fix the washing machine plus any outstanding charges. The insurance was 110 euros (10 of which had been paid in jan). So I had to pay 100 euro + 62 euro delivery + 12 euro for the collection/recycle of old unit.

I am getting a brand new unit with new warranty etc. and as far as I can tell insurance company is paying retail price (which should include WEEE).

I'm relatively sure that if I cancelled this fee for collection (I paid this to insurance company), when the delivery of the new unit comes they would take the old one anyway. (indesit are delivering the new unit).

I'm relatively sure that if I cancelled this fee for collection (I paid this to insurance company), when the delivery of the new unit comes they would take the old one anyway. (indesit are delivering the new unit).

Indesit are not the retailer, they are the manufacturer. You are dealing with an insurance company rather than a retailer/shop so they may not be required to take your old machine free of charge.

davo10 wrote: »
    Indesit are not the retailer, they are the manufacturer. You are dealing with an insurance company rather than a retailer/shop so they may not be required to take your old machine free of charge.

The machine is coming from indesit/hotpoint. I've had to call their Home delivery department to arrange the delivery.

What I may do is call them up and ask is there a charge associated with picking up the old appliance and see what they say. If they say "no" then it seems like the insurance company is just chancing their arm hoping people don't question it. They pocket this money and indesit/hotpoint see none of it. Or perhaps I'm just being cynical.

The machine is coming from indesit/hotpoint. I've had to call their Home delivery department to arrange the delivery.

What I may do is call them up and ask is there a charge associated with picking up the old appliance and see what they say. If they say "no" then it seems like the insurance company is just chancing their arm hoping people don't question it. They pocket this money and indesit/hotpoint see none of it. Or perhaps I'm just being cynical.

Indesit may be charging the insurance company for disposing of the machine rather than charging you. The insurance co may be passing that charge on to you.

• Advertisement

OK after getting off the phone with them now they are going to just give me cheque for 500 euro plus refund me for the shipping and recycling and throw in a 10 euro compensation and they told me to just go ahead and buy the replacement and to invoice them for any recycling fee... But when I spoke to indesit in the morning they told me my replacement order would be dispatched on Friday...

All very confusing I'll wait till Monday... I don't think they replace many washing machines

Just to update.

No cheque received yet but I did receive refund for shipping costs of the replacement unit. I spoke to Domestic and General yesterday who told me cheque was organized on the 1st of this month. Still haven't received. I got multiple confirmations that this cheque is coming. So I went ahead and ordered a replacement washer/dryer from Currys... (it's been a month now without a working washing machine)

This morning I get a call from Indesit saying replacement washer dryer has been dispatched and I will get a call on the 14th to arrange delivery...

So no idea what to do, they clearly have a very disorganized service. Now I'm wondering if I should just cancel the washer/dryer I organized and wait and see.

There maybe a brand new Washer dryer appearing on adverts very soon.

Received the cheque and have cashed it. (to cover the costs of replacing the unit.)

However as predicted I now have courier who is also trying to deliver a new washing machine as well. This is despite the insurance company telling me this wouldn't happen...

Anyone want a cheap integrated washer dryer???

Advertisement