Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Dog

• 01-03-2016 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

So, I may have gone completely mad, but it looks like we might have a second dog in the next few months.

We've only had dog number one for 5 months and we had planned on waiting a year before we thought about a second dog. However, my parents have decided that they can no longer handle their (slightly insane) border terrier and they have decided to look for a new home for him. He's a lovely little lad - very friendly but with energy and brains to burn - he's running rings around my almost pensioner-aged parents. I couldn't not give him a chance, so I'm going to take him on trial in 2 or 3 months time (around May or June) and see how things go.

So, any advice? Am I bananas taking on a second dog so soon after dog number one has settled in? Any tips on keeping a very hyper terrier happy? I've done less research on borders so far than I did before getting my own dog because this situation just landed in my lap. The little terrier is probably given more exercise than my shepherd and is still bouncing off the walls so I'm considering trying agility with him to see how he likes it. Any and all advice (down to telling me I'm insane for thinking about taking on a hyped-up border with a very chilled GSD) welcomed! Any good links to websites on borders much appreciated too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Knine here is an expert on boarder terriers - I'm sure she'll be along soon enough to give you some advice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

WellI am biased because I have 4 Border Terriers & absolutely love them. They have a lot of character in a small lively package.

How does your GSD get on with other dogs & likewise the Border Terrier? Is your GSD a dog or bitch? Unlike many terrier breeds the correct Border Temerament is to be sociable with other dogs. In fact they quite enjoy the company of other dogs. There are exceptions however!

I don't think you are mad at all If you had already been considering getting a second dog. In terms of keeping a Border happy- they do need a lot of exercise & they make fantastic agilty dogs. They are very quick. One of mine has done agility. They can also be used for flyball, terrier racing, tracking,hunting etc. They do have a very strong hunting instinct so be careful around small furry & feathered creatures. They will happily live with a cat but then try to kill the neighbours. A garden like alcatraz will be needed to keep your dog safe as they are escape artists! Exercise wise once they are adult as much as you can give them! Mine don't tire out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

There is no doubt Border Terriers have character - he cracks me up!

My GSD is pretty unconcerned with other dogs and the Border Terrier just wants to play with everyone and everything. They've met before and had a ball together with just a couple of minor skirmishes over toys in the house. Nothing I thought was majorly concerning, though the little man obviously doesn't realise the size diferential and will have a go at her for taking anything he deems "his" (the GSD is a bitch and the Terrier is a dog). I assume my best bet here is to feed them seperately and avoid any situation where they could potentially get possessive over toys/ food / treats, at least until they've settled in a bit?

Thanks for those suggestions - I'll have a look and see what I can find close to us. I hadn't heard of terrier racing and it sounds brilliant! My main concern is finding him something to "do". You're completely right - he doesn't tire out at all!

The garden is plenty tall enough but I'd be concerned about him digging if left alone alright - he has a history! ;)

I don't ever leave toys or food around as 3 of mine are bitches & these little terriers have very strong jaws should they fight! Also most toys get wrecked.

Watch the digging alright as Borders are designed to go to ground & are very good diggers. I have several climbers too. I use a concrete based run for when I am not supervising. I have one bitch here who is extremely clever at escaping - crates, pens, dog runs. It took me a while to outsmart her. She is 6 almost and still as lively as ever.

Edited to mention they absolutely love food too. Mine make Labradors seem fussy. So watch his weight!

I'll bear that in mind and definitely lift all toys when I'm heading out... or maybe leave the dogs in separate rooms with their kongs when I'm out...

And I pray he doesn't climb! I wouldn't put it past him though so I'll watch out for it - cheers!

He's a disaster with food and would eat literally anything. He already managed to poison himself on numerous occassions - chrysanthemums, kelp, slug pellets... and some kind of neurological poison that they couldn't identify but had his survival touch and go for about 24 hours. Actually, that's a good point - I probably need to spend the next 2 or 3 months dog-proofing the house and moving anything poisonous above terrier-level...

• Advertisement

Above Terrier Level & then some. One of mine recently had a blockage - again the soon to be 6 year old. She ate her vet bed!

Yes they do like to take care of the gardening duties too. I walk on the beach a lot & they are like beach combers eating seaweed, crabs etc.

In spite of all this they are great fun.

Thanks so much for all the advice Knine. It's great to know what I should concentrate on before he arrives. I'm less nervous that I'm making a huge mistake getting a second dog now and maybe slightly more nervous about the Border Terrier tendancy for escapism and eating things they shouldn't!! ;)

I am still looking forward to it btw. I've got a feeling he's going to come in and turn everything upside down like a miniature tornado, but in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

following this thread with interest - have patterdale cross terriers - similarish to Borders... how old is the terrier op and is he neutered? How lucky is he to have you take him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

You are similar to my situation about 6 months ago. I took a spaniel from my mother about 2 years ago. It was a dog she found on the side of the road but the dog was full of energy and she found it hard to control her. So my mother took in another old Collie last year and unbeknown to her, the collie was pregnant. I took one of the pups (my brothers took the other 3).

I find that having two dogs is in many ways easier than having one. They keep each other company. Going for walks is so easy now as they tire each other out. They are constantly playing with each other as well so they pay less attention to me now. I would definitely recommend having two dogs. They won't really get on well with each other in the beginning but eventually they will get on like a house on fire.

aonb wrote: »
    following this thread with interest - have patterdale cross terriers - similarish to Borders... how old is the terrier op and is he neutered? How lucky is he to have you take him on.

He's about 2 years old and neutered. We'll be his third home - my parents got him at about 6 months from a family with a 4 small kids who found him too lively. I think my parents thought that he'd be good for walking with them and that he'd settle as he got older... He'll walk forever but hasn't settled any!

I don't know if the GSD is going to thank me for trying to take him on. I'm working from home today and she's literally spent the whole morning snoozing happily in the corner. We won't know what hit us when he arrives. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor GSD :) , but she will probably adapt fairly quickly, and if she doesnt want him bothering her will hopefully put manners on him quickly!
    Is he on decent quality food? I know you said hes a hoover, like most borders, but food quality can make a difference to behaviour. No doubt Knine will have some advice on that?

aonb wrote: »
    Poor GSD :) , but she will probably adapt fairly quickly, and if she doesnt want him bothering her will hopefully put manners on him quickly!
    Is he on decent quality food? I know you said hes a hoover, like most borders, but food quality can make a difference to behaviour. No doubt Knine will have some advice on that?

Sorry aonb, I missed this. He's on Burns sensistive right now I think but I'll be moving him on to a mainly raw diet (same as the GSD) when he arrives. Hopefully that might help a tad... though I'm not holding my breath!

BTW, just made my first trip to Carnivore Kelly's depot earlier this week to re-stock the freezer. It's AMAZING!!! :)

Advertisement