Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terenure 5 Mile - Sunday May 15th

Options
  • 01-03-2016 4:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last Years Thread
    Website
    Registration

The Terenure 5 mile will take place this year on Sunday 15th May at 11am.

Formerly known as the “Dublin 5 Mile Classic”, 2016 will be the races 32nd year.

The fast 2 lap course starts from Terenure College, Dublin 6w.

The Charity partner for 2016 is ISCC (Irish Society for Colitis and Crohn's Disease)

The race is run by the local Sportsworld Running Club. Check out previous threads for reviews of the race. 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.

The entry fee is €20 (+€1.40 admin fee)
    • Free Technical Race T-Shirt
    • Free Professional Race Photo’s on Internet after race
    • Free Post Race Refreshments
    • Race Number with Chip Timing
    • Race Pacers for 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 minutes
    • Numerous Spot Prizes
    • One of the flattest course around
    • Athletics Association Ireland (AAI) Certified race
    • Ideal Mini Marathon Preparation and qualifying event
    • Cash and Spot prizes

Course:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

This year's Terenure 5 Mile finisher's top looks like it's a homage to the early '80s Southampton jersey of Keegan, Channon and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sorry to be missing it and fancy long sleeved top. Nab one for me if you can Adrian.
    A great race for those that haven't yet had the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Agreed. I'm missing out this year too, for the first time in four years. Love the course and it's usually good for a few PBs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

This will be my 2nd year running it. Last year I was just home from California so jet lag kicked my ass and I ran a shoddy race. This year I plan on doing way better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2 things on this that people may not be aware of, 1 is that the race HQ is now in our ladys school and not in terenure college. Secondly there is a reduced race capacity this year so if at all possible I'd recommend registering prior to race day.

But I would say that wouldn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aquinn wrote: »
    Sorry to be missing it and fancy long sleeved top. Nab one for me if you can Adrian.
    A great race for those that haven't yet had the pleasure.

I'm hoping to race. You can have my top if I do - I don't wear red. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Alas can't make it this year. The new top looks great. Here's an example below of 2007, 2008 and 2009 cotton tees versus the 2014 technical shirt.

The cotton tshirts aren't badly printed, i.e. the logos etc were impressed in a manner akin to silk-screen printing rather than ironing on some scratchy plasticy patch that'd cause nipple bleed. The technical top feels great, but the logos are scratchy and could catch people in the wrong places.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With Entries rushing in, some very important Race Day Information ....
    Our New HQ is Our Lady's School beside Bushy Park OPPOSITE Terenure College.

There is NO PARKING at either Terenure College or at HQ. There's lots of parking in the area.

Number collection will be at Sportsworld Running Club on Saturday May 14th not HQ

Sportsworld Terenure Running Club
    68 Rathdown Ave, Terenure, Dublin
    https://goo.gl/maps/F8wus1z9wYq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Signed up for this last night and looking forward to it. Nice looking top also which always helps. Grew up around the area so nice to get over and run around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Looking forward to this, have heard it's a great race.

I was just about to ask some silly questions here about number collection etc., but it's all covered in the comprehensive Runners Info section here:

http://terenure5mile.com/runner-info/

• Advertisement

Folks,
    Entries really really are accelerating and flying in.
    It's likely we will be closing online entry mid week with no on the day entries.
    Today is traditionally the busiest day for entries and we really don't want to let you down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Signed up yesterday, looking forward to it.

Hi,

There is number collection and T-Shirt Pickup in the clubhouse in Bushy Park on Friday evening between 7pm and 9pm and again on Saturday between 2pm and 5pm.

If at all possible it would be best to get your number on one of those days as registration on the morning of the race is likely to be a bit manic.

http://www.sportsworldrunningclub.com/news/terenure-5-early-race-number-shirt-pick/

Also, there is no parking in Our Lady's school or Terenure College this year so if at all possible could people travel using public transport or carpool as on street parking in the area will be in high demand on Sunday.

Buses that go out from town include the 15, 49, 65 and 65b.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rathfarnham shopping centre is just a few minutes walk away from the start line, there should be parking there. Or the Carlisle gym off Kimmage road. In Terenure village there are Lidl and Aldi supermarkets with car parks.

Entries for this race are now closed. I'll be in the clubhouse tomorrow night giving out race numbers, say hello if you collecting your number then.

By the way if anyone doing the race is thinking about joining the club or has any questions about that there will be an info desk setup tonight/tomorrow during number collection so don't be shy!

Number collection tomorrow between 9 and 10.30 from our lady's. Don't leave it till the last minute.

Also contrary to the first post there are no 30 min pacers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Great race, first time doing it. Lovely course, a bit warm for me but had a decent run 36:XX. Happy with that, great idea to have a long sleeve T shirt I have loads of short sleeve ones so this will come in handy. Nice spread after as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

My first time also, very enjoyable!

The band were brilliant, hearing them while walking to the race start really got the adrenaline pumping and passing them at the start of the second lap was great motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Another first timer here too!
    Really enjoyed the race, the heat got to me a bit in the second lap so I slowed down but the support around the course was brilliant. It's on the list again for next year.

Thanks to everyone who took part today. Conditions seemed perfect before the race though it was probably a bit too warm by the time most people were finishing up.

If you have any feedback, positive or negative I'd be glad to hear it. You can post here or message me privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who took part today. Conditions seemed perfect before the race though it was probably a bit too warm by the time most people were finishing up.

If you have any feedback, positive or negative I'd be glad to hear it. You can post here or message me privately.

Very well organised race as always, Adrian. From number pickup yesterday to the finish line today, all very smooth. Only slight gripe (not a big one) was that the water was hard to find at the end today and the fruit wasn't obvious or plentiful... But really a very small thing.

Some supporters were deafened by less appreciative of the band apparently :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Great race. Kudos to organisers and participants! Warm day for it. You can never predict...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great event. Had heard good things about it and it lived up to the praise. Found it tough with the warm conditions, but hung grimly in there. 1st time under 30 mins for me (chip time) so was delighted. Thanks to organisers and their army of volunteers. Hope to see Sportsworld next at the Wicklow way relay next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Great race, great course, great organisation and really great tshirt.

Had much the same experience as many today.
    1m - okay, feeling good, let's do this.
    2m - really?
    3m - seriously?
    4m - for the love of god don't walk
    5m - jog it home.

Dunno what the hell was in the water today. Nearly 90s slower than Raheny in Jan.
    Never mind.
    I'll be back again next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

great race and my first. Started towards the back of the field and the first mile was just pouring past people. Need to get up somewhere near the front. Finished in 34 minutes odd and was happy with that. Well organised and would definitely do again.

Great race, great support around the course and the samba band were great. I also got a PB so happy about that.

Only negative was I got last years t-shirt instead of the new long sleeve snazzy one. I'm guessing you guys ran out of them. (I know it's just a t-shirt but just saying)

KJ wrote: »
    Great race, great support around the course and the samba band were great. I also got a PB so happy about that.

Only negative was I got last years t-shirt instead of the new long sleeve snazzy one. I'm guessing you guys ran out of them. (I know it's just a t-shirt but just saying)

What size are you? I think there were Mediums left but all the S and L were gone.

• Advertisement

What size are you? I think there were Mediums left but all the S and L were gone.
    Yeah I got a small. I did leave it until about 10am on the day though.

Advertisement