Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Learner Hi Viz Recommendation?

• 01-03-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a decent high viz jacket with L plates on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Someone on here might have one to pass on if they've passed their test... as soon as I pass mine, I'll be doing just that as another very kind Boardsie did that for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For what its worth I would deffo wear a hi viz but I would not stick the L on it, just stick the "L" on it for the test. I personally found starting out attitudes towards "L" bikers appalling and so did alot of others. Just my 2 cents mate.....enjoy your new bike and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My Dad has his test coming up soon. I think we have a high vis vest for jogging that he will use. I'll print an L and staple it onto the vest. That's what I done for my test a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Be careful you have to have an L on the front and the back for the test. When I was on the L plates I duck taped an L to the back af a yellow vest and gards didn't care but for the test I borrowed my instructors one. I was told the tester can be sticky on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Be careful you have to have an L on the front and the back for the test. When I was on the L plates I duck taped an L to the back af a yellow vest and gards didn't care but for the test I borrowed my instructors one. I was told the tester can be sticky on it.

I wonder could I get a 2 euro shop hi viz and superglue an L plate on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

I will post you mine if you want. No cost. Just pass it on again when your finished. Last guy I offered it to didn't bother to reply.

Testers can be picky, my advice is to get a slightly used one instead of a brand new one. Make the tester think you were actually out in it, and the L on front and back do indeed need to be positioned correctly especially the front.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    I will post you mine if you want. No cost. Just pass it on again when your finished. Last guy I offered it to didn't bother to reply.

Thats very generous of you! Thank you! have you a favourite charity i could throw a few euro to?

I'll pm you my details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    For what its worth I would deffo wear a hi viz but I would not stick the L on it, just stick the "L" on it for the test. I personally found starting out attitudes towards "L" bikers appalling and so did alot of others. Just my 2 cents mate.....enjoy your new bike and stay safe.

I had no problems with wearing the L, commuting through the city center each day for the six months. For the Op, if you're stopped by the Gardai without it, it's an offense. Having said that I can't find what the actual penalty is.

Generally, I think it's a good idea to wear the L. It's ugly, but it is a constant reminder that you _are_ a learner and need to be careful, and not get cocky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

a favourite charity
    Next bucket you pass will do, but no need to.
    Pm your address

Next bucket you pass will do, but no need to.
    Pm your address

Cheers bud!

Its dafodil day next week I think - Ill throw a tenner to them! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 codghost89

Yes you can do that, or you can try to get one with RSA on it... They are usually free and are much better quality than the pound shop ones. They are made by Portwest, and they would last longer.

Gavin wrote: »

Generally, I think it's a good idea to wear the L. It's ugly, but it is a constant reminder that you _are_ a learner and need to be careful, and not get cocky.

An L vest is not gonna stop lads being cocky on a bike in fairness....and if you ( as in learners) need an L vest to remind you that biking is a dangerous mode of transport well then you better off in an alternative mode of transport TBH.

Its the same in cars, when alot of people see an L on the car or someone taking lessons you automatically start auto correcting every little thing they do and get very passive aggressive towards them. Just my 2 cents, each to their own m8.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Wear an empty bag over the back of the vest. It's the cars behind that give you the trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents, each to their own m8.

True, but irrespective of opinion, it's a legal requirement.

Received with thanks!!

Gavin wrote: »
    True, but irrespective of opinion, it's a legal requirement.

Absolutely, but if you were to do everything in this country just because its a legal requirement m8 you would be committed.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bobthebobbob

Hi All, just wondering if anyone else out there has an old Learner Hi Viz that they could donate to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yep.

Drop me a PM and I can arrange. I'm in north Dublin, near Finglas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement