Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone signal booster

Options
  • 01-03-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Anybody know where I can source a device which boosts the 3G signal entering my home.

Recently moved into an apartment in Dublin and signal for my 3 mobile is poor at best.

Called to the local 3 store in Dublin, however they don't stock said item, and whilst the store manager did go to the bother of searching online, all that was found was a device sold by Vodafone which apparently is only compatible with Vodafone handsets as they use a different frequency to that used by 3.

Although there are many threads on this topic, most of those are many years old.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are recent threads, the search feature just sorts terribly.

Its illegal, you cant. Vodafone used to/still do sell the SureSignal but thats a femtocell not a repeater (requires a broadband line). If you can't get coverage your best bet is to change provider if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notaplumber

Thanks for clarifying 'ED E'.

I had read of the illegality of said devices, so that explains why it's not an item readily available.

Cheers
    ED E wrote: »
    There are recent threads, the search feature just sorts terribly.

Its illegal, you cant. Vodafone used to/still do sell the SureSignal but thats a femtocell not a repeater (requires a broadband line). If you can't get coverage your best bet is to change provider if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Is there nothing on the lines of an aerial that you can place outside the house that will port the signal inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

jeamimus wrote: »
    Is there nothing on the lines of an aerial that you can place outside the house that will port the signal inside?

If you have poor signal in your house you should have solid grounds to break free of your contract with Three. You will need to follow due process and keep meticulous records of your problems. If necessary go to Comreg or the Small Claims Court. Almost everyone I know has left Three in the last year since their disastrous merger. I honestly don't know why anyone has the patience to put up with such rubbish service. Try Eir/Meteor or Vodafone - both networks generally have good coverage in Dublin, and Eir/Meteor have good value deals.

Antennas won't do any good for your phone - phones don't come with antenna sockets, and you can't realistically have your mobile tethered to an external antenna all the time!

jeamimus wrote: »

Such devices exist, but only the operators can deploy them and as they're prone to fix the issue for one user and cause issue for another fifty in doing so they arent often used unless you're a very big customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have crap signal indoors at home with 3 as well but I've found that if you restrict the APN to 2G only (its in mobile settings) it forces it to use the old O2 network (and will roam onto VF) which is far better for voice/SMS reception. Assuming you have fixed-line broadband as well then that will cover your data needs on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notaplumber

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look into the possible options suggested. Perhaps a change of supplier may be in order if other companies have better coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 StellaBoost

I tried to buy a repeater off myamplifiers website only to get a nasty letter in the post telling me it was illegal and could face a 5000 euro fine if i did not renounce the ownership of the item to comreg. Just a warning out there to anyone...

I took a photo of the letter...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufy12nykirat3ui/comreg.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Vodafone have a license to give people a femtocell and Three don't.
    It's nothing to do with using a different frequency.

Unlike a booster, a Suresignal will allow you to use a (Vodafone) mobile phone where there is no coverage at all.
    It is your own private mast and connects to the phone network over your internet connection.
    They're not 100% reliable, but they are fantastic when you've struggled with poor coverage.
    You get to register up to 10 vodafone numbers with it, and can update your list via email request.
    Changes are normally processed on the same day.

I tried to buy a repeater off myamplifiers website only to get a nasty letter in the post telling me it was illegal and could face a 5000 euro fine if i did not renounce the ownership of the item to comreg. Just a warning out there to anyone...

Thats ?5000 for having it. Up to ?10,000 for using it if they were bothered.
    niallb wrote: »
    Vodafone have a license to give people a femtocell and Three don't.
    It's nothing to do with using a different frequency.

Unlike a booster, a Suresignal will allow you to use a (Vodafone) mobile phone where there is no coverage at all.
    It is your own private mast and connects to the phone network over your internet connection.
    They're not 100% reliable, but they are fantastic when you've struggled with poor coverage.
    You get to register up to 10 vodafone numbers with it, and can update your list via email request.
    Changes are normally processed on the same day.

Technically a femto isnt really the same thing, its a better solution all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you purchase a phone with WiFi calling (eg Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, S8), you can create your own coverage, anywhere there is WiFi. This is a totally legal alternative for solving your problem.

Voice & Text services continue to work just as if you are in mobile coverage. This has an advantage over femtocell technology because it will work anywhere there is WiFi, and there is no need for an extra box. You can also use it to bypass roaming charges - particularly useful in countries outside of EU! Only available on Eir & Meteor currently.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Our company got a booster installed by 3 on site. Maybe only an option for businesses.

MarkR wrote: »
    Our company got a booster installed by 3 on site. Maybe only an option for businesses.

Can you recall if that was during the National Broadband Scheme?
    This ran up to August 25th 2014, and as far as I am aware Three were permitted to install boosters as part of supplying data services to locations with weak signal.

Are you sure its a separate licence for femtos. I was under the impression that once you've got an allocation for a band segment its yours, use it how you wish once you let COMREG know of new locations within a reasonable timeframe.

I think Comreg would be happy to allow any operator to issue femtocells under existing licenses simply because it would help coverage for the public.

I thought the additional licensing was required to give approval for the location at which the cell is to be operated which seemed to be a big deal when we got our first one. It was 5 years ago though, and over the phone. Doesn't make a huge amount of sense now on recollection!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Both Comreg and Ofcom are looking at the issue of legalising the use of mobile repeaters - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102056468

Attached is Ofcom's latest consultation on the issue

They're looking to legalise repeaters, but Femtos have always been OK is my understanding.

Three/Meteor just dont want to manage the infrastructure.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

niallb wrote: »
    Can you recall if that was during the National Broadband Scheme?
    This ran up to August 25th 2014, and as far as I am aware Three were permitted to install boosters as part of supplying data services to locations with weak signal.

It was in the last few months. We had one previously (2G), but that stopped working well when they upgraded the local masts from 2g to 4g (i'm told)

The internal booster is only on the 3G band, only designed for voice I presume, which is fine, as we have our own wireless network here for data.

Advertisement