Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Home Economics a Science Subject???

Options
  • 01-03-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, Im currently in TY and we have to pick our leaving cert subjects soon. I'm planning on doing Irish, English, Maths, French, Music, Chemistry and Home Ec. I dont want to close any doors on myself by not choosing a second science subject and Im wondering what colleges count Home Ec as a science subject?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

NUIG, UCC and UCD considers the following as laboratory sciences for matriculation: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science

UL considers the following as Science subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering, Design & Communication Graphics, Technology, Agricultural Science, Biology.

Trinity considers the following as Science subjects: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics or agricultural science.

In general it varies from college to college and from course to course but usually you're safest with Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Ag Science. I don't think anywhere considers Home-Ec as a science subject as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    NUIG, UCC and UCD considers the following as laboratory sciences for matriculation: Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science

UL considers the following as Science subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering, Design & Communication Graphics, Technology, Agricultural Science, Biology.

Trinity considers the following as Science subjects: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics or agricultural science.

In general it varies from college to college and from course to course but usually you're safest with Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Ag Science. I don't think anywhere considers Home-Ec as a science subject as far as I'm aware.
    Jesus Bazinga, how do you know these things? I'd swear you were a dean at some college!

In answer to OP's question, I don't think I've ever seen someone refer to home economics as a science. Don't really know what you'd refer to it as. Never heard it being called a humanities subject either. Maybe it's a social science?

EDIT: DON'T DO CHEMISTRY! It's absolutely diabolical. I swear to God it's much easier to do physics and biology than chemistry.I got an A2 in Bio and a B1 in physics but for the life of me I couldn't crack chemistry. Obviously personal aptitudes differ but from my experience it's extremely stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

I'm pretty sure I was told that home ec is considered a science subject for certain courses...... Could be wrong but for a select few courses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Jesus Bazinga, how do you know these things? I'd swear you were a dean at some college!

I imagine it would take more than a two minute google search to be a dean of any college. :rolleyes:
    In answer to OP's question, I don't think I've ever seen someone refer to home economics as a science. Don't really know what you'd refer to it as. Never heard it being called a humanities subject either. Maybe it's a social science?

According to Wikipedia's page on the Leaving Cert, Home-Economics is listed as an Applied Science (along with Engineering, Technology, DCG and Construction Studies) rather than a Laboratory Science (Bio, Chem, Physics, Ag Sci, App Maths).

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

The UCD degree in Veterinary Nursing requires one laboratory science subject or Home Economics. However, there wouldn't be many degrees where you can substitute Home Ec for a lab science subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

Another one is St. Angela's degree in Education, Home Economics and Economics

Advertisement