Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go wallop

• 01-03-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone, I have to ask this here now, because I've been rooting around the Irish expressions on the site for hours now, and I couldn't find the meaning of 'going wallop'?

From some other articles it seems as if it can mean to go bankrupt.
    In some instances it seems as if it can mean to get broken.

I'm actually looking for a good Irish expression for "going berserk", "going mad" or "nuts". I thought going wallop might work, but now I'm not so sure any more.

If going wallop isn't something you would use for one of my three options here, what would be a good expression to use. If this is an expression that a good Irish mammy would use, all the better.

Thank you kindly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Going mental

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

Go wallop definitely doesn't work for that. I've only ever heard it in the context of a business failing / going bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mufasa from Warsaw

Bigus wrote: »
    Going mental

Thanks, Bigus, but I was wondering whether there isn't something typically Irish that's not used in the rest of the English-speaking world. Something like Oh, it'll be grand.

There are so many 'real' Irish expressions for so many things that I can't imagine there aren't any for going mad?
    IllBeGrand wrote: »
    Go wallop definitely doesn't work for that. I've only ever heard it in the context of a business failing / going bankrupt.

Thanks, I thought so.

Going " Spare "

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

Did his nut.

He's a headbanger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Lose the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The expression would be 'gone wallop' meaning irretrievably broken down - a bankrupt business or a car that the engine has fallen out of. Its rather an old fashioned expression that you would not hear all that often now. The expressions already given would suggest the 'going mad' idea. I am not sure that they are all only Irish though.

I also heard "throw her head altogether" today. Are you familiar with this one?

I also heard "throw her head altogether" today. Are you familiar with this one?

Throw the head altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Bigus wrote: »
    Going " Spare "

I would use this to mean going mad with exasperation rather than going mad out on the town. What sort of situation were you thinking of OP?

• Advertisement

Go mad with exasperation was exactly what I had in mind. Would throw the head altogether mean the same thing, and if so, which of the two would you prefer?

The context is a housekeeper going spare/throwing the head at the fishmonger who was late with a delivery.

She's 50, around 2000, in a small village in the country.

Advertisement