Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment Stage 2 --- 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

For those invited to STAGE 2. Confirmation that stage 2 will be this month. No exact date but will be completed by end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

smiley963 wrote: »
    For those invited to STAGE 2. Confirmation that stage 2 will be this month. No exact date but will be completed by end of the month.

Is that the first 1971 will be called now before end of the month? Or first 600

Doyle06 wrote: »

I'm not to sure it could be the first 600. But saying that not to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

From reading the old Stage 3 posts, I'm after becoming slightly worried about the upcoming stage 2.

From what I've read, your results have to be verified with your previous result in stage 1, and must be a very similar score to verify that it was you that done stage 1.

Some people have said in the forum that they had passed all of the abstract, verbal etc. but failed overall because their result did not verify with their previous result.

So I have a few questions for anybody that can answer.

If I do better in Stage 2, then in Stage 1, will I fail because my result are different?

If I do worse in Stage 2, then in Stage 1, but still reach the qualifying score, will I fail because I didn't get a similar amount of points?

I was unlucky in the last campaign that I didn't progress to stage three. I failed stage 2 by a small amount of points, and I have put a lot of effort into this campaign.

Thankfully I qualified for the next stage, and I'm in the top 1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's usually that you can't score a certain percentage under your original score. There'll be a standard deviation calculated for people who scored at your level, and if you score under that, it could be assumed that you are not a) consistent or b) the person who took the original test.

Just practice so that you are better than your last score. Easy.

discus wrote: »
    It's usually that you can't score a certain percentage under your original score. There'll be a standard deviation calculated for people who scored at your level, and if you score under that, it could be assumed that you are not a) consistent or b) the person who took the original test.

Do you know if the test is the exact same one again?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭PMMG

What if it's impossible to do better than your last score...don't envy he person who came 1st:)

AudiKid wrote: »
    Do you know if the test is the exact same one again?

I imagine so because if you have to verify I would have thought this would be important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

PMMG wrote: »
    What if it's impossible to do better than your last score...don't envy he person who came 1st:)

I got top 10 after stage 2 and i got on grand at supervised tests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I imagine so because if you have to verify I would have thought this would be important.

I wouldn't have thought so. These tests are standardised, they have 1000's of variations, for all levels and abilities. It'll be the same difficulty, be different questions. I'll buy ya a coffee if I'm wrong (and we both make it to Templemore!)

I wouldn't have thought so. These tests are standardised, they have 1000's of variations, for all levels and abilities. It'll be the same difficulty, be different questions. I'll buy ya a coffee if I'm wrong (and we both make it to Templemore!)

Sorry I misunderstood the question. I assumed s/he meant the same style of tests ( i.e. same company producing the tests). Of course the questions will be different! I will still take you up on that coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kahmen

so if i was placeded 5000 is thare a chances il get a call back or will i need to reaply in the next drive or dos it cary on till thay get down to my number

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TF1992

Reading the previous stage 3 thread has freaked me out slightly , everyone seemed to be caught on scores from stage 1 not verifying. I took the tests on my own so I should be grand , but obviously nerves and change in environment will play a part in the end scores, hopefully they take that into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

kahmen wrote: »
    so if i was placeded 5000 is thare a chances il get a call back or will i need to reaply in the next drive or dos it cary on till thay get down to my number

I'd say it will carry down. You'd get preference over new people on the next drive. Problem is the waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kahmen

Soby wrote: »
    I'd say it will carry down. You'd get preference over new people on the next drive. Problem is the waiting.

agreed but at lest we hopfuly wont have to wory abut reaplying for a bit at any rate

Soby wrote: »

Once they get through all successful candidates then they will start a new campaign.

So I rang Familiarisation Material will be sent in the next couple of days. Also it looks like the 1791 or 1971 whatever the number is will be brought forward between March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

I only had a chance to look through to scoring information now. I thought that the Abstract Reasoning would be my worst performance but I ended up scoring 720 in it and it being my best result. Worried that I wont even come close to that in stage 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

fitzytour wrote: »
    I only had a chance to look through to scoring information now. I thought that the Abstract Reasoning would be my worst performance but I ended up scoring 720 in it and it being my best result. Worried that I wont even come close to that in stage 2!!

no point in worrying get ya nowhere

• Advertisement

fitzytour wrote: »

That's what I'm worrying about too.

I'm usually awful at the verbal reasoning, but I ended up in the 600's. I doubt ill be able to do that well again.

Whats the purpose of Stage two anyway.

Is it just to verify our results? or cut down on numbers again?

AudiKid wrote: »
    That's what I'm worrying about too.

I'm usually awful at the verbal reasoning, but I ended up in the 600's. I doubt ill be able to do that well again.

Whats the purpose of Stage two anyway.

Is it just to verify our results? or cut down on numbers again?

Yea id say its more to cut down numbers, cant see them interviewing 1971people, most theyl interview is prob 600-700 of the 1971 if they even interview that many

Doyle06 wrote: »
    Yea id say its more to cut down numbers, cant see them interviewing 1971people, most theyl interview is prob 600-700 of the 1971 if they even interview that many

They're recruiting 600 Gardai though, so if we progress to the next stage we have a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TF1992

Just going to practice verbal and abstract a tonne and hope that'll cancel out my nerves and I'll hit around the same score. Not point worrying too much yet I suppos though

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

I'd worry more about the report writing and job scenario tests in stage 2 than verifying the other 2

jaybyrne9 wrote: »
    I'm placed 2942.
    I'd did quite well on both aptitude test sections. Did poor on personal assessment. Not surprised. Answered honestly. I do not follow orders without question,etc.

Might be us together in our group do. Low 3000 myself

I'm literally dying for stage 2. It will be this month. Hating the vertified trying to get same results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

I can understand the pressure with verifying scores, but there is room for nerves and setting. And honestly I think there is genuine need for it as people could have had someone else do their unsupervised assessments, scoring very well and receiving a place in the process that they do not deserve, and that doesn't reflect their abilities and weaknesses.

Mudmask wrote: »
    I can understand the pressure with verifying scores, but there is room for nerves and setting. And honestly I think there is genuine need for it as people could have had someone else do their unsupervised assessments, scoring very well and receiving a place in the process that they do not deserve, and that doesn't reflect their abilities and weaknesses.

Dead right. But even doe the tests are similar layout you do get difference tests and they vary. So it can be hard to be consistent with the same score. 10% under your original score is all you can achieve.

Dead right. But even doe the tests are similar layout you do get difference tests and they vary. So it can be hard to be consistent with the same score. 10% under your original score is all you can achieve.

Where did you get the 10% figure? That's pretty harsh!

• Advertisement

How do you know its 10%?

what if you do better then? is it still not verified?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Slightly off topic but fairly important to remember that people should not be giving out specific information on forums or any kind of social media. I've noticed that lots of people have been giving their exact numbers in OOM. If interviews are passed then social media accounts will be checked. Candidates have been requested to keep all information private and I would assume that posting on the likes of boards,facebook etc would be a breach of the rules. I realise I sound like I'm moaning but I'd hate to see someone removed from the competition over something like this

Slightly off topic but fairly important to remember that people should not be giving out specific information on forums or any kind of social media. I've noticed that lots of people have been giving their exact numbers in OOM. If interviews are passed then social media accounts will be checked. Candidates have been requested to keep all information private and I would assume that posting on the likes of boards,facebook etc would be a breach of the rules. I realise I sound like I'm moaning but I'd hate to see someone removed from the competition over something like this

No you are right

Where did you get the 10% figure? That's pretty harsh!

I heard from candidate that in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Totally agree! You can say around what you got but giving your exact OOM is basically identifying all your views and sometimes stupid questions to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭FletcherBelle

Completely forgetting about the reserve stream too that'll slow this process down even more surely 😬

Totally agree! You can say around what you got but giving your exact OOM is basically identifying all your views and sometimes stupid questions to the employer.

Here's a stupid question...what's OOM? :)

Here's a stupid question...what's OOM? :)

Order Of Merit: The number you got that determined your place after stage 1!

Order Of Merit: The number you got that determined your place after stage 1!

Oh right!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

The lower your OOM the quicker you progress through each stage....The higher it is the slower you go. e.g you're better off being in the 1-100 group than 5000-5100

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

Quick question - for those placed around the 1400 mark - anyone have a clue as to the likelihood of being called to stage 2 this/next month? Trying to figure out will it clash with the last of my college exams and hoping not!

AiB123 wrote: »
    Quick question - for those placed around the 1400 mark - anyone have a clue as to the likelihood of being called to stage 2 this/next month? Trying to figure out will it clash with the last of my college exams and hoping not!

600 every 3 months going by last time so

1-600 - end of this month

601-1200 - end of june

1201 - 1800 - End of Sept

1801 - 2400 - End of Dec

etc....

Thats a very rough guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CreamTim

Did anyone sign up to do one of those Career Services stage 2 courses ?

I hope the wait isn't that long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 clarky09

Does anyone know how many applied in total to Stage 1 & how many are going forward (at some point) to Stage 2? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

So in the next stage we will be Re-tested on Verbal Comprehension and Abstract Reasoning tests
    And tested on:
    Job Simulation.
    Report Writing.
    Any idea what Job Simulation is? Is it like the second part of the Assessment Questionnaire, where we had to rank what action is best? or more of a role play exercise?

• Advertisement

RedmondHR wrote: »
    So in the next stage we will be Re-tested on Verbal Comprehension and Abstract Reasoning tests
    And tested on:
    Job Simulation.
    Report Writing.
    Any idea what Job Simulation is? Is it like the second part of the Assessment Questionnaire, where we had to rank what action is best? or more of a role play exercise?

Yep it's like the second part of questionnaire

Irish public service recruitment is a test of patients in itself! Police Scotland launched a massive recruitment drive around the same time as AGS because they were reestablishing the service and they have managed to keep it a steady stream of applicants and recruits. Before you send in your application for example you are well advised to be fit as you will be called for fitness testing within no less than TWO WEEKS.

Bit off topic but the point is that you have to be as peaceful and patient as a Tibetan monk in these campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Yep it's like the second part of questionnaire

Thanks!

Everyone all set for stage 2 in coming weeks. There's nothing much we can really do other than hope to the best we did first time. Ha ha

Everyone all set for stage 2 in coming weeks. There's nothing much we can really do other than hope to the best we did first time. Ha ha

The problem is we are up against the top scorers and only some of us will get through. Tough competition !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement