Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business / work lunch - claiming as an expense

• 01-03-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a sole trader.

In the past 2 months I have found myself closing in on a deal over lunch. Of course, I end up paying :pac:

It's a legit business lunch (to gain business) and no alcohol involved.

Can this be claimed as an expense? Revenue seem to say no: http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/allowable-expenses.html

But thought i'd ask as this isin't 'entertainment' (as mentioned on revenue website), but rather to seal a deal.

I've asked my accountant but he's not in the country right now so thought i'd ask on here to get an indication. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

It would probably be claimed as entertainment expense. Entertainment of staff is tax deductible but entertainment of clients isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Payment of staff may be tax deductable but in certain circumstances there may be BIK issues for your staff which you will have to then pay on their behalf. Mis-lableing of expenses is another issue that the revenue may take a dim view of if uncovered as it shows concealment and that you are potentially a lier which is never a good thing if you come up against an inspector who is not benign towards you.

You ask your accountant and tax advisers for tax advise and pay them accordingly. Especially if it may leave you in an exposed position where you will be asked questions you wont be able to easily answer at a revenue audit. Never an online forum.

Dbran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

It's certainly hard to argue your own lunch cost as a genuine business cost, as you would have had to eat regardless if you were working or not! I doubt revenue would take into account the difference in expense between a typical lunch and a business lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Also if an expense is client entertainment the whole cost of the lunch is not an allowable expense, not just the portion relating to client.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The only way it is deductible is to have a conference and pay for a room and supplied refreshments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement