Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship 2016

• 01-03-2016 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea on the Competition opening date, numbers to be recruited etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Does anyone have any idea on the Competition opening date, numbers to be recruited etc.?

Historically Cadetship recruitment campaigns have began around Jan/Feb with start date around October.

I've noticed the process has gotten shorter in recent years probably due to the streamlining of the applications.

As for numbers, judging from social media the numbers tend to vary between 25-45 or so divided between all three services. You didn't specify which service so its hard to be specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Thanks,
    Would be army I'd be going for.
    Am I right in saying the 2016 competition hasn't opened yet?

Regards,
    Matthew Robb
    Negative_G wrote: »
    Historically Cadetship recruitment campaigns have began around Jan/Feb with start date around October.

I've noticed the process has gotten shorter in recent years probably due to the streamlining of the applications.

As for numbers, judging from social media the numbers tend to vary between 25-45 or so divided between all three services. You didn't specify which service so its hard to be specific.

Thanks,
    Would be army I'd be going for.
    Am I right in saying the 2016 competition hasn't opened yet?

Regards,
    Matthew Robb

I haven't seen anything on their social media accounts and its usually well publicised while the competition is open.

Best of luck in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fasnet353

Bump

Just bumping the thread since it will start getting busy soon.

The PDF have begun the Cadetship Competition for this year with the final date for applications being the 17th April.

If you are posting, to save time and effort be sure to say which Cadetship you are applying for.

Also, for those applying for the first time, be sure to get running and get your fitness up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

Is there any point in doing one of those aptitude test preparation courses, there is a company offering one specifically for the cadetship, buts its 225 quid, is it worth it or could someone point me to some good resources to prepare for it.

Actually even if it is worth it i doubt i'd pay that for it, i'm really just looking for good online resources and tests to prepare for it.

fyi just applying for the air corps

The psychometric tests are contracted out and the company last year was Mind Mill, a UK based company. They analyse the tests and its as simple as if you don't get above a certain score you are excluded from being called.

Tests were numerical fluency, spacial awareness, alphabetising, and verbal reasoning. So personally I dont know what 'tricks or tips' they could give short of maybe pointing you in the direction of some material to practice on.

There again, ive never been to the courses myself and maybe they are good, even for a bit on confidence coming up to it all.

fasnet353 wrote: »
    The psychometric tests are contracted out and the company last year was Mind Mill, a UK based company. They analyse the tests and its as simple as if you don't get above a certain score you are excluded from being called.

Tests were numerical fluency, spacial awareness, alphabetising, and verbal reasoning. So personally I dont know what 'tricks or tips' they could give short of maybe pointing you in the direction of some material to practice on.

There again, ive never been to the courses myself and maybe they are good, even for a bit on confidence coming up to it all.

Thanks for the reply, thats good info, handy to know.

Yeah its annoying because i did the air corps process in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and i got down to the final 30 each time but it was a different process, it was run by parc aviation, tried applying again in 2014 with the new system and i didn't get past the appitude test.

Thanks for the reply, thats good info, handy to know.

Yeah its annoying because i did the air corps process in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and i got down to the final 30 each time but it was a different process, it was run by parc aviation, tried applying again in 2014 with the new system and i didn't get past the appitude test.

Have you applied for your results under FOI?

Negative_G wrote: »
    Have you applied for your results under FOI?

I tried that a couple of times and only ever got them once, it was like trying to get blood from a stone

• Advertisement

I tried that a couple of times and only ever got them once, it was like trying to get blood from a stone

First time I've heard anyone mention not getting any reply whatsoever in certain instances.

I would suggest contacting the information commissioner if you happen to experience this again in a future application.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

For the Army line, how do the qualifications work, is it LC results and a degree? Asking because it says open to school leavers/non graduates

Tommy, last year as long as you get in contact with the recruitment section of DFHQ in the Curragh they should send on the results. They also mark who requested feedback.

CajunPenguin, if you go onto the website they have the terms and conditions for the competition published for this year. So long as you meet the leaving cert standards you can apply without a degree. The only difference between graduates and school leavers is that graduates are commissioned at a higher rank, certainly with the naval service anyway. However, the school leavers aren't at any real disadvantage once in the DF. Neither do they have preference during the competition of school leavers and graduates. Its a competition and they are looking for the cream of the applicants.

fasnet353 wrote: »
    The only difference between graduates and school leavers is that graduates are commissioned at a higher rank, certainly with the naval service anyway. However, the school leavers aren't at any real disadvantage once in the DF. Neither do they have preference during the competition of school leavers and graduates. Its a competition and they are looking for the cream of the applicants.

Couple of points to note here.

Graduates, once commissioned will start off on a different higher pay scale due to rank, than non graduates. Might only be a small amount but that gap will always be there for those graduates/non graduates of the same class.

Graduates, once commissioned, will become senior to the non graduates of their senior cadet class. Graduates will also reach Captain sooner and will have more time in rank served so will be eligible for promotion sooner than their non graduate brethren.

Those in possession of a level 8 degree will also be eligible for an additional 10% bonus marks at the final stage of the competition.

I would agree that the best candidates will be picked regardless but joining the DF as a graduate is a definite advantage in terms of career progression and salary.

The Naval Ensigns and Cadets I have the opportunity to meet last year talked about the difference. They were doing the same job and it only took 12-18 months for them to be promoted to Sub-Lt. So yes, the graduates would have a slight advantage but just a little.

Thanks for bringing attention to the bonus marks for the graduates, I had actually forgotten about it all together. However, I just read over the '2016' Terms and Conditions and the only bonus marks going this year are for members of the permanent defence forces and the reserve defence forces. The bonus marks for the graduates was however in the competition last year.

I would imagine they have seen in previous years that education doesn't necessarily make a good officer. Especially when the DF are going to be putting a person through a degree course anyway.

I was under the impression non grads must spend two years as a 2/Lt before promotion. Fairly sure that hasn't changed, although I am open to correction.

The lack of 10% bonus marks would indicate that they are starting a claw back on the incentive for graduates. Would agree with you that a educational qualification doesn't necessarily mean a better officer, plenty of historical examples to support that!

The application process seems to have changed quite a bit in the last decade.

Ive no official data to back up the time spent at the junior rank but just remembering what the lads had said.

The change seems to be similar to the British Armed Forces in the sense that they are not looking specifically for graduates and the like. They only changed in the last number of years in the Royal Navy that graduates are not automatically bumped to sub-lt and that everyone does their time as a midshipman.

Its good to see the change, I hope its for the better though!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

Anyone know how sitting the Leaving would affect my chances? On the application page one of the questions is are you sitting the lc this June. I'm 18 and sat the leaving last year and got around 480 points but I decided to repeat the lc and its only 3 months now until I resit. I imagine they don't want applicants in full time school(I'm not) that can't do the entrance tests or whatever.

I'd have no problem dropping out from the lc this year if it meant I got a place but it's obviously not a guarantee and like I said it's only 3 months til I finish.

I emailed the recruitment page with this question but got no reply.

Also, I was a bit confused on the terms for the air corps Cadetship, do applicants need a level 8 degree specifically for the air corps?

Thanks!

Soolander wrote: »
    Anyone know how sitting the Leaving would affect my chances? On the application page one of the questions is are you sitting the lc this June. I'm 18 and sat the leaving last year and got around 480 points but I decided to repeat the lc and its only 3 months now until I resit. I imagine they don't want applicants in full time school(I'm not) that can't do the entrance tests or whatever.

I'd have no problem dropping out from the lc this year if it meant I got a place but it's obviously not a guarantee and like I said it's only 3 months til I finish.

I emailed the recruitment page with this question but got no reply.

Also, I was a bit confused on the terms for the air corps Cadetship, do applicants need a level 8 degree specifically for the air corps?

Thanks!

Apply. Complete your leaving cert. Should any dates clash with your application be sure to inform them immediately and they should accommodate you. In previous years they have split candidates sitting their leaving certificate in order to prevent this issue arising.

Applicants for the Air Corps are not required to have any degree on joining. I think you may be confusing it with the Naval engineering appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

What order is the recruitment process done, eg:

Aptitude test,
    Confirmation aptitude test,
    Fitness test,
    Medical.

I know this stage is open until the 17th, I'm just trying to pre-empt dates and a rough timeline.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Stringbox,

Well for the NS last year it followed this process:

Psychometrics and Situational Judgment Test. (Mid May)

Visit to the base which included; fitness test, second round of psychometrics, job preview, and a tour of a ship. (Late July)

Interview in front of a panel of interviewers (August)

Medical at the base hospital (August)

Final e-mail. (September)

The whole process took from May 1st to September 16th.

I believe this year for the NS they are rolling the medical, interview, and base visit into one event on the base. There should be a fairly good break down on the website for whichever arm of the services your applying to.

Best of luck with your application!

Thanks fasnet, very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Onetouch1

I have one concern I hope someone could give me some advice on, it's regarding the army officer cadetship educational requirements. I have completed a bachelors of business level 8 degree in management at University.
    This is where i think I might fall down. I only sat 6 subjects in my leaving certificate and passed 5 subjects altogether. It states on the information booklet candidates need to pass all 6. Does my degree suffice or will they look for my leaving certificate transcripts too.

Onetouch1 wrote: »
    I have one concern I hope someone could give me some advice on, it's regarding the army officer cadetship educational requirements. I have completed a bachelors of business level 8 degree in management at University.
    This is where i think I might fall down. I only sat 6 subjects in my leaving certificate and passed 5 subjects altogether. It states on the information booklet candidates need to pass all 6. Does my degree suffice or will they look for my leaving certificate transcripts too.

They will require a copy of your leaving cert results.

The minimum qualifications are based on the leaving cert so anything else is irrelevant I believe. From an application perspective anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lukie1234

Hi guys I applied on the first possible date for the air corps cadets so it's been a month. I was wondering when I should worry about not receiving any update or future dates? I know the applications closed just on the 17th but just trying to correct something if I have missed out. Eg. Are future dates sent out by email, mail or telephone? Thankyou in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cupboard11

Just completed online psychometrics there. Very unsure/deflated after it. Just wondering how did people feel after them. ? And what is usually the timeline on good/bad news ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lukie1234

I haven't received anything yet so I don't know sorry. Do they roll out the email to people all at once? The only emails I have received are a thankyou and would you like to apply for general service in the Army or Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cupboard11

lukie1234 wrote: »
    I haven't received anything yet so I don't know sorry. Do they roll out the email to people all at once? The only emails I have received are a thankyou and would you like to apply for general service in the Army or Navy.

Sorry my above post is re army cadets. I'm not sure how recruitment works for air Corp but I would imagine the early stages are similar. You should contact someone in the recruitment office at this stage.

lukie1234 wrote: »

Yeah i'm the same and i only applied for the Air corps too

• Advertisement

Same here I just applied for air corps and have heard nothing yet.

Advertisement