Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period.

Options
  • 02-03-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Was discussing a work issue with my brother and I just want to get some confirmation on the matter of notice on leaving a job. My brother accepted a new job in January, which has turned out to be a complete disaster. He has another opportunity available to him and he would like to cut his losses with his current employer and pursue the new role.

I was just wondering what notice he should give the company? He is still on probation but his contract states that he must give two month's notice. Another employee left the company a few weeks ago and she only gave one month's notice. She had worked there for two years. What is the correct period of notice in this case? He is not going to add the employment to his c.v. and he is not going to use the company as a referee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Was discussing a work issue with my brother and I just want to get some confirmation on the matter of notice on leaving a job. My brother accepted a new job in January, which has turned out to be a complete disaster. He has another opportunity available to him and he would like to cut his losses with his current employer and pursue the new role.

I was just wondering what notice he should give the company? He is still on probation but his contract states that he must give two month's notice. Another employee left the company a few weeks ago and she only gave one month's notice. She had worked there for two years. What is the correct period of notice in this case? He is not going to add the employment to his c.v. and he is not going to use the company as a referee.

One week if you don't need a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Generally if you on probation it is a week, but the contract will state this 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

davo10 wrote: »
    One week if you don't need a reference.

Or no notice at all if you don't need one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No notice needed or given if working less than 13 weeks.
    Courtesy would be a weekhttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/losing_your_job/losing_job_entitlements.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No notice needed or given if working less than 13 weeks.
    Courtesy would be a weekhttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/losing_your_job/losing_job_entitlements.html

Not if the contract says otherwise. These are the statutory minimum notice periods and can be increased by agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

allibastor wrote: »
    Generally if you on probation it is a week, but the contract will state this 100%

Generally if you are on Probation you can just finish as same days notice

Just like when you are on probation they can terminate your contact without notice

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Eoin wrote: »
    Not if the contract says otherwise. These are the statutory minimum notice periods and can be increased by agreement.

but then there is the question of the company enforcing the contract. for an employee there less than 13 weeks they probably wont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

but then there is the question of the company enforcing the contract. for an employee there less than 13 weeks they probably wont bother

This is true, but posters here often get confused and think that the minimum legal notice periods are all that apply to employees, or your pay frequency somehow has something to do with your notice period.

You're dead right that a company probably won't do anything, but you are breaching the contract and do not have the law on your side.

It's probably low risk, but it's best to point it out as some very poor advice and "facts" gets posted here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

the reality is the company will cut their losses immediately and potentially allow him to leave within a week - a short clean handover - unless he is going to a direct competitor, once he agrees to forego his full notice pay.
    best approach may be to sit down with direct line manager and say this is not for me and want to move on and look to professionally agree a period to transition on.
    the company knows he will not be committed for his notice period, so they will potentially look to release him from his full notice period and pay for same, if he agrees to this type of compromise.
    this is the approach i take with people, once they are prepared to forego expecting their full notice pay, in lieu of moving on immediately - we agree a week handover etc but where they want there full notice pay i.e. 3 months - i keep them for same period

Advertisement