Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options
  • 02-03-2016 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread for this, or at least I couldn't find it.

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/

Looks like a small number planning to do this based on the Spring Marathons Thread.

Anyone else? Any previous experiences of note?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I've entered the half providing a bit of moral support for a friend who's running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Signed up to do it, it'll be my first marathon.
    I have done the half marathon in Cork the last 2 years and really enjoyed them, despite the weather last year!!
    Being from Cork, I enjoy knowing where I am running to / from / through and feel as if I can use landmarks as targets.
    Only issue with the race is the date, Bank Holiday Monday is a bad day for it.
    I think it would attract a lot more people if it was moved to the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

For the first time since 2011 I'm not pacing it this year! :eek:

Whoever takes over the 3:15 balloon better not mess it up. :D Plus, I'll probably want it back next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I haven't decided yet, but I'm giving this serious consideration this year.

What have your collective experiences been compared to other marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

not entered yet but training for it so will enter before the price goes up!

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm giving this serious consideration this year.

What have your collective experiences been compared to other marathons

There have been organisational hitches with the half marathon once or twice but the full marathon has always been flawlessly organised as far as I can tell.

The weather can be a factor, we've had everything from heat waves to mini-hurricanes.

The course is a tad easier than Dublin. There are a few rolling hills, especially from miles 17-21, but nothing major. In fact, for a city as hilly as Cork this is an amazingly flat route.

All in all I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone.

I'd agree with the above (although seeing as I live in Cork might be biased :)), the only slight issue I have with it is that it's on the Monday of the bank holiday weekend.

Support is good is most parts apart from the bit on the South Link Road after the tunnel & along the estuary front in Mahon (which isn't the nicest spot to run if the weather isn't playing ball).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Just entered the half, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

There have been organisational hitches with the half marathon once or twice but the full marathon has always been flawlessly organised as far as I can tell.

The weather can be a factor, we've had everything from heat waves to mini-hurricanes.

The course is a tad easier than Dublin. There are a few rolling hills, especially from miles 17-21, but nothing major. In fact, for a city as hilly as Cork this is an amazingly flat route.

All in all I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone.
    Would agree but the support in DCM is better espically in the places it matters.

rom wrote: »
    Would agree but the support in DCM is better espically in the places it matters.

That is certainly true but support in DCM is way better than anywhere else in Ireland, by a mile. Support in Cork is still a lot better than most other races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Doing the half this year and looking forward to it. Regarding support - I did the full last year and my son and parents were there at 3 different points in the first 4 miles because of the route and then I met them again at the Elysian which was great. They couldn't get out to the lough in time but were there at the finish with my wife and daughter. The relay changeovers are great as well - passing through them is like a recharge. Being a native it was great to see people I knew along the course. The best of all was having your name on your bib in large letters and hearing your name called out as you ran. I got a great lift from that. And when you come out from that walkway off the Mardyke and hit the quays and you can hear the noise starting the come up from Patrick's Street it's the best feeling ever. I ran Dublin too and I did find Cork an easier course tbh. The support was larger in Dublin, but I think it threw me a bit because I wasn't used to it but then again I found the whole event a bit overwhelming. But it's a personal thing. I'm more used to it being quieter at the tough end of things when you really have to concentrate and dig deep. I also probably wasted loads of energy in Dublin showing my appreciation for the support and high 5ing kids and the like. But enough of my rambling. Hope everyone doing this has a great day
    Does anyone know if the half route has been finalised yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Did it last year, great marathon, terrific atmosphere at the relay changeover points. Lovely route covering urban, rural, greenway, tunnel, parkland, riverside, castles, bridges, docklands - great variety. Flawless organisation. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Doing the half myself. Hope the weather is better than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

colin32 wrote: »
    Doing the half myself. Hope the weather is better than last year

Ah sure it couldn't be any worse... or could it ... :pac:

7 weeks from tomorrow, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Doing the half this year and looking forward to it. Regarding support - I did the full last year and my son and parents were there at 3 different points in the first 4 miles because of the route and then I met them again at the Elysian which was great. They couldn't get out to the lough in time but were there at the finish with my wife and daughter. The relay changeovers are great as well - passing through them is like a recharge. Being a native it was great to see people I knew along the course. The best of all was having your name on your bib in large letters and hearing your name called out as you ran. I got a great lift from that. And when you come out from that walkway off the Mardyke and hit the quays and you can hear the noise starting the come up from Patrick's Street it's the best feeling ever. I ran Dublin too and I did find Cork an easier course tbh. The support was larger in Dublin, but I think it threw me a bit because I wasn't used to it but then again I found the whole event a bit overwhelming. But it's a personal thing. I'm more used to it being quieter at the tough end of things when you really have to concentrate and dig deep. I also probably wasted loads of energy in Dublin showing my appreciation for the support and high 5ing kids and the like. But enough of my rambling. Hope everyone doing this has a great day
    Does anyone know if the half route has been finalised yet?

The route is finalised and is almost identical to last years.
    details are on the website http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/half-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The route is finalised and is almost identical to last years.
    details are on the website http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/half-marathon/

Is where the Half and Full Route merge not going to be a disaster altogether.

Is where the Half and Full Route merge not going to be a disaster altogether.

they've used this route for the last couple of years and the merging point is fine with plenty of stewards in place.

the only change is that the river crossing is at North Gate Bridge rather than Patrick's Bridge, not sure why they have changed this, possibly for traffic flow reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

the only change is that the river crossing is at North Gate Bridge rather than Patrick's Bridge, not sure why they have changed this, possibly for traffic flow reasons.

Yes but their map afaik is still showing the old route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Course was changed for traffic flow reasons. Course has been remeasured, as per AIMS requirements (must be remeasured, at least, every 5 years). I'll post a link to a new course map once I get around to finishing the measurement 'paperwork'.

Apart from the last half-mile or so, there are several changes, mostly minor, due to (cumulative) street re-alignments.

Condo(r)131 - AIMS/IAAF Cork City Marathon Course Measurer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thinking of doing the half myself, wish it was a Sunday mind ! Is it a pb course? I know I should know the answer myself as I have done different legs of the relay over the years but it's been a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Very tempted to give the Marathon a go this year but still daunted by the distance. I did the Great Railway 25k in 2 hrs at the weekend and was comfortable at that distance. Need to make up my mind, But still might do the Half if decide not to do the full distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Ok I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I am not that familiar with the names of the bridges in Cork City. Would the north gate bridge be the first bridge you run past when you leave the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm thinking of doing the half, mainly as a training run as it'll be my first time doing that distance since DCM last year. Can you pick up numbers on the day usually? I doubt I'll bother if I have to drive down the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Signed up last night, First attempt at the marathon distance.

I am not that familiar with the names of the bridges in Cork City. Would the north gate bridge be the first bridge you run past when you leave the park.
    It's the first traffic bridge, there is one pedestrian bridge before it. If you are looking it up it's proper name now is Griffith Bridge.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the half, mainly as a training run as it'll be my first time doing that distance since DCM last year. Can you pick up numbers on the day usually? I doubt I'll bother if I have to drive down the day before.
    you have to collect your number on Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That's fairly annoying. I doubt I'll bother then, unless someone I know can pick it up for me.

• Advertisement

That's fairly annoying. I doubt I'll bother then, unless someone I know can pick it up for me.
    I can get it for you if you're stuck as I'm running the half with a friend so will be getting two numbers anyway on the Sat morning.

Advertisement