Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

opus wrote: »
    chrislad wrote: »
    chrislad wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the half, mainly as a training run as it'll be my first time doing that distance since DCM last year. Can you pick up numbers on the day usually? I doubt I'll bother if I have to drive down the day before.
    you have to collect your number on Saturday or Sunday.
    That's fairly annoying. I doubt I'll bother then, unless someone I know can pick it up for me.
    I can get it for you if you're stuck as I'm running the half with a friend so will be getting two numbers anyway on the Sat morning.

Cheers. I may take you up on the offer. My brother in law may be going down the day before so he may be able to get it. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Signed up for the half last night, said I'd keep up the tradition ! Full in 2014, half last year and half again this year. Hoping for a happy medium between the storm of last year and the heatwave of the year before!

Now better get my bum in gear and do some proper training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

No heatwave please...I do not do well running in heat. Happy medium would be lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

No heatwave please...I do not do well running in heat. Happy medium would be lovely!

I did the half last year, terrible weather but I loved it and would prefer unseasonably cool, wet and windy any day to a heatwave! In fact, Cork in June was much cooler than DCM in oct 2014... No point trying to predict Irish weather!

Signed up again for this year of the Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

Anyone has any discount code to registre online in the half marathon?????. I'm thinking of doing the half, mainly as a training run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Anyone has any discount code to registre online in the half marathon?????. I'm thinking of doing the half, mainly as a training run

Yeah, try "cheap ass" :-)

annapr wrote: »
    I did the half last year, terrible weather but I loved it and would prefer unseasonably cool, wet and windy any day to a heatwave! In fact, Cork in June was much cooler than DCM in oct 2014... No point trying to predict Irish weather!

Signed up again for this year of the Half.

Having run Wings for Life yesterday in the heat I really, really hope Cork isn't hot this year.

It's pissing there at the moment, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Entry deadline extended to next Friday the 20th, if anyone still thinking about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crotty46

Having run Wings for Life yesterday in the heat I really, really hope Cork isn't hot this year.

It's pissing there at the moment, ironically.

I did the wings for life also, it was cruel!! Hills everywhere, short and sharp and long and drawn out. Half my first 10kms were my usual 5kms times as I couldn't slow down running down the hills! Plus the 21c was a killer. Beautiful course but I hope they change it next year, it's supposed to be a 'world run' yet we are the only country with elevation! Can't believe the Irish winner ran over 70kms in that, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Signed up last minute by post, a bit worried but just noticed email confirmation in inbox. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a cool day and some Boston redemption. :pac:

• Advertisement

I got injured 3 weeks ago and started back last wknd with a ten miler (85 mins) and now my knee is shot. Any advice?

Had been planning my 20 for this wknd.

Not sure I'll even make the start line now. Or am I just feeling sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Does anyone know what pacer groups will there be at Cork?

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/pacers/

From 3 - 5 every 15 minutes for the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

wrstan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what pacer groups will there be at Cork?

I'll be there pacing 3:45 if anyone wants to listen to my particular shade of bull for that amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I saw the traffic information signs on the Dunkettle roundabout earlier and the 8 mile marker on the South Link. Best of luck everyone.

Puibo wrote: »
    I got injured 3 weeks ago and started back last wknd with a ten miler (85 mins) and now my knee is shot. Any advice?

Not sure I'll even make the start line now. Or am I just feeling sorry for myself.
    maybe try 5 first and see how that knee holds up, slow and steady, don't write yourself off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What were you doing up to three weeks ago?

If it was me, I'd write it off. See if you can defer til next year. (Mind you not much difference between cost of medical note and cost of entry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

There was a student discount available but the deadline has passed. Not sure if any others are available.
    Yeah, try "cheap ass" :-)

What's wrong with looking for a discount?

-

I've been training nicely for this and tapering down now. I've ran the DCM once in 2014. Having only ever been to Cork once, I'm really looking forward to it. Liking what I've read too through this thread, especially the lack of hills. I like the way someone mentioned their name being called out. Worked wonders for me coming down by Vincent's in the DCM and it was most certainly a Cork woman too. More followed but that really lifted me from a very slow pace to something much more optimistic.

Hope the weather is overcast and slightly breezy. Perfect. Oh and the sun to beam just as I approach the finish line :)

Looking forward to taking in Cork City and hopefully a new pb. Staying Sunday and Monday and have Tuesday off work. Can't wait!

Good luck everyone taking part!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Condo131 wrote: »
    Course was changed for traffic flow reasons. Course has been remeasured, as per AIMS requirements (must be remeasured, at least, every 5 years). I'll post a link to a new course map once I get around to finishing the measurement 'paperwork'.

Apart from the last half-mile or so, there are several changes, mostly minor, due to (cumulative) street re-alignments.

Condo(r)131 - AIMS/IAAF Cork City Marathon Course Measurer.

Is the route shown on the website the amended course?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Signed up for the half yesterday after booking a late trip home for the bank hol. Looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement

maybe try 5 first and see how that knee holds up, slow and steady, don't write yourself off yet.

I went out Wednesday night with the intention of doing a 5k and ended up doing 11 miles!

Murph_D wrote:
    What were you doing up to three weeks ago?

I've done a couple of 15 milers and a 16. I'm going for 20 tmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Any advice on where to park on race day?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

wrstan wrote: »
    Any advice on where to park on race day?

Thanks

Last year I got parking up on Wellington Rd about 30min before the start. It was a 2min jog down to Patrick's St.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Not long to go now, done my long runs.
    I have a query as i went for 12 miles on sunday and it was quite warm and had problems with sweat going into my eyes, I dont like wearing hats when running. I have been told to use Vasaline????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

boydkev wrote:
    Not long to go now, done my long runs. I have a query as i went for 12 miles on sunday and it was quite warm and had problems with sweat going into my eyes, I dont like wearing hats when running. I have been told to use Vasaline????

I've used a small bit of Vaseline on my eyebrows and I never had a problem with it melting. I prefer Bodyglide as its less greasy. Vaseline or Bodyglide onto the eyebrows, nipples, feet and toes and especially the groin. Sweat + hours of skin rubbing against itself = chafing. It can be worse in the rain. Sweat in your eyes is the least of your problems if you get a bloody nipple or chafing on the family jewels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

I've used a small bit of Vaseline on my eyebrows and I never had a problem with it melting. I prefer Bodyglide as its less greasy. Vaseline or Bodyglide onto the eyebrows, nipples, feet and toes and especially the groin. Sweat + hours of skin rubbing against itself = chafing. It can be worse in the rain. Sweat in your eyes is the least of your problems if you get a bloody nipple or chafing on the family jewels.

Every water station on the course has a tub of vaseline, not always easy to see with all the water bottles but might be worth keeping an eye out for.

zinzan1 wrote: »
    Every water station on the course has a tub of vaseline, not always easy to see with all the water bottles but might be worth keeping an eye out for.

Just be mindful of the folk in front of you who double dip and you come along after and apply it to your face.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

These are the marathon & Half-Mar routes:
    Marathon Route

Half-Marathon Route

The biggest change is in the last mile, where, instead on continuing along Pope's Quay & Camden Quay, you turn right over North Gate Bridge and then left onto the south quays, passing the opera House.

There are only two other changes, both relatively minor: There is a new cutting/path, from the old railway line, onto the marina, immediately before the 15M mark, (this change should help with the Half/Mar routes merger) and a shorter route through Parnell Place (in 1st mile), due to street layout changes.

The upshot is that the start has moved 49m back down the street, in the Patrick's Bridge direction.

The Change in the last mile also affects the Half, so the start for that moves back down Victoria Road, making for a slightly longer run before the turn at the roundabout.

Finally, ffs, can people try to run 'the racing line'. I hate to see, year after year, people 'glued' to the LHS. It's measured using line of sight, bend to bend, full width of every road (except only where lanes have been sectioned off for traffic/emergency use)

Edit: Just checked CCM website - Maps are for last year's courses

• Advertisement

For the directionally challenged any chance you could take your paint brush for a spin and tattoo the racing line on the ground We could pretend we're in a major!

We'd even let you paint it in Cork colours.:)

Advertisement