Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I don't get the shorter route through Parnell Place thing - I don't think it has changed since last year has it? Anyway it doesn't bother me since I'm doing the half. The new cutting will definitely help with the half/full merger - I noticed it on Sunday and it's way easier than the old 3 sharp turns. The entrance to the car park at the back of the Atlantic pond has a few potholes so people should watch their step here. As for starting further back up Victoria Road - great stuff, an nice downhill start (ok it's only a small gradient, but every little helps!!)

Running the racing line - I definitely did not do this during the full last year so between that and weaving around people (another mistake) I'd say I ran at least an extra 500m. So on the South Link, for example, should I run up the middle of the road? I tucked into the side last year, thinking that was the best way to run it, but possibly also to shelter from the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Must say the 3:30 pacers did an excellent job with the racing line last year. It certainly makes a difference as some of the roads are quite wide with gentle bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I don't get the shorter route through Parnell Place thing - I don't think it has changed since last year has it?

All the works in the middle of the street between Oliver Plunkett St & Merchant's Quay are gone. Remember, when measuring, I'm looking as far as you can see, and taking the shortest line from that.
    As for starting further back up Victoria Road - great stuff, an nice downhill start (ok it's only a small gradient, but every little helps!!)
    Too far! ...It's only moving a little over 60m!cool.png
    So on the South Link, for example, should I run up the middle of the road? I tucked into the side last year, thinking that was the best way to run it, but possibly also to shelter from the weather.
    If there is a headwind, shelter behind someone, even if you're 'leapfrogging', otherwise bend to bend, e.g on South Link, you should be on the left going into it, then right over at the median as you pass the filling station, before hitting the extreme left further on and, yet again going back to the central median further on, and back left again shortly before the turn onto South Douglas Road.

Curragh Road to Tramore Road is even more critical - you can add 40-50m in about 1/3rd mile. That stretch is pretty much S curves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

anyone fancy joining me in a bit of rain dancing ahead of Monday - I am all for hot weather, just not on the day of the marathon - at least not till after 1pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

IMG_9347.jpg

Weather looking good so far for Monday (compliments of YR). Hopefully it stays this way.

Done the half in Wexford over the weekend and found the heat quite tough tbh. It's not as if it's been gradually getting hotter either.

• Advertisement

anyone fancy joining me in a bit of rain dancing ahead of Monday - I am all for hot weather, just not on the day of the marathon - at least not till after 1pm!

I was just thinking that myself. I went out to do the last 10 miles yesterday and was dying with the heat. A nice thunderstorm on Sunday night to clear the air, then a bit of soft rain and a light breeze from about 11am should do it. Wind at our backs on the Straight Road of course. I'll get me mam to light a candle.

Jay D wrote:
    Weather looking good so far for Monday (compliments of YR). Hopefully it stays this way.

That would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brenmur

Fingers crossed for favourable weather. Will be watching yr like a hawk. Previous attempts at the full have coincided with a warmish day and resulting slog straight to med tent for an oul lie down. Signed up for the half this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I remember watching the long range forecast for DCM last year. When marathon monday first appeared the weather looked perfect, then every day as it got closer the forecast deteriorated a little until the wind had whipped right up into something pretty nasty. I'm sure the same thing can't happen here!

Excitement is really building now. Just need to manage the dreaded PF to get me to the startline in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Has any body done a fairly substantial run in the last week.

Just wondering as I've recovered fairly well from my 20 miler last week and have just been tipping away with 5 miles since.

• Advertisement

I've used a small bit of Vaseline on my eyebrows and I never had a problem with it melting. I prefer Bodyglide as its less greasy. Vaseline or Bodyglide onto the eyebrows, nipples, feet and toes and especially the groin. Sweat + hours of skin rubbing against itself = chafing. It can be worse in the rain. Sweat in your eyes is the least of your problems if you get a bloody nipple or chafing on the family jewels.

Would you be able to give exact guidance on applying Bodyglide to eyebrows please? I tried it during half on Sunday. I applied it onto and just above my eyebrows. It was pretty hot and got into my eyes a fair bit, used the wrist strap to clean.

I'm thinking should I drag the Bodyglide line further across halfway between eyebrow and ear when applying it? Would come in very useful for the weekend. Don't have a lot of time to expirement.

Jay D wrote:
    Would you be able to give exact guidance on applying Bodyglide to eyebrows please? I tried it during half on Sunday. I applied it onto and just above my eyebrows. It was pretty hot and got into my eyes a fair bit, used the wrist strap to clean.

I usually just put it exactly where you did, maybe a bit further along the temples. I never had an issue with the Bodyglide going into my eyes though. Maybe use a bit less?

anyone else been emailed twice in the past couple of days asking to print your acceptance slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

Yes got an email yesterday and this morning

I usually just put it exactly where you did, maybe a bit further along the temples. I never had an issue with the Bodyglide going into my eyes though. Maybe use a bit less?

Ok thanks. No I meant sweat as opposed to Bodyglide going into eyes.
    anyone else been emailed twice in the past couple of days asking to print your acceptance slip?

Yes yesterday and this morning also.

Thanks - just a general thing then good stuff. Enough to be psyching myself out about without worrying about the bloody acceptance slip as well!

Jay D wrote: »
    Ok thanks. No I meant sweat as opposed to Bodyglide going into eyes.

Dunno - maybe vaseline would be better?

Thanks - just a general thing then good stuff. Enough to be psyching myself out about without worrying about the bloody acceptance slip as well!

I got a couple of emails too. Same last year. Relax. It'll be grand. Don't be wasting your energy fretting this week of all weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

To be sure, to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

https://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/06/dry-fit-tops-for-2016-cork-city-marathon.html?m=1

Preview of the tshirts. Hope its either the maroon or yellow for the half marathon. ..can't be seen around in red and white as a Kerrywoman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Yellow and the red both say 10th anniversary so by default the maroon one has to be the half as it's not been going ten years.

Not too mad on the red. Ah well it's another one for painting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Anyone know if the 'changing facilities' mentioned include showers for after the race??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 'changing facilities' mentioned include showers for after the race??
    I assumed it didn't. Our running club booked a room in a hotel for showers afterwards (I live near enough to go home for mine though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

AngelaRI wrote: »
    No showers provided.

On another topic: Heat
    Current forecast is mid to high teen by 10am, and low twenties by 1pm (4 hours). Use sunblock and it's advisable to wear a cap of some sort - sweat will part your hair and your scalp will burn. Cap might give some protection from heat stroke.

and...if you haven't already been hydrating = get on it, but do it gradually = sip throughout the days, rather than binge lots at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Condo131 wrote: »

and...if you haven't already been hydrating = get on it, but do it gradually = sip throughout the days, rather than binge lots at a time.

Thanks for that. I've started today.
    How much should one drink the morning of the race? I'm thinking of a litre when I get up at 8am (I'm doing the half marathon) and then a 250ml before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Speaking of hydration, where's the watering hole for post race post mortems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ferris B wrote: »
    Speaking of hydration, where's the watering hole for post race post mortems.

There was a pub last year that provided free bbq burgers to anyone with a medal :D. Can't remember the name but it was on of the many quaysides near the start of the Half.

annapr wrote: »
    There was a pub last year that provided free bbq burgers to anyone with a medal :D. Can't remember the name but it was on of the many quaysides near the start of the Half.

I think it was the Sextant on the corner of Albert Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I think it was the Sextant on the corner of Albert Quay.

That's the one. ..They normally put on a good spread after the marathon!

Advertisement