Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sextant is where it was alright. Great Burger. Nice joint. Very handy too, close to City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Good article on cork running re the impending warm weather for Monday:

http://corkrunning.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/running-cork-marathon-when-weather-is.html

I guess that raindance I did was not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I dunno, according to those nice Norwegians, the weather looks good to me:

15 degrees C
    Cloudy
    wind 3m/s

I've certainly ran in worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Took a jog down towards the half-marathon start area last night so a few pics to whet your appetite :)

2qnt5yg.jpg
    v7avs7.jpg
    2e4ynux.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Thanks for that. I've started today.
    How much should one drink the morning of the race? I'm thinking of a litre when I get up at 8am (I'm doing the half marathon) and then a 250ml before the race.

A litre sounds like a little too much to me, oth, I've suggested 2 glasses on this 'Marathon Advice - On the Day' article on the Cork Athletics website, so probably not much between 2 glasses and a litre :rolleyes:

Probably best to drink what you normally drink before a long run, and maybe add a bit more on account of the heat.

Temperature:
    Current forecast is for high teens by 10am, and low to mid twenties by 1pm, so heat is definitely going to be a significant factor. Wind forecast is light to nothing, and is likely to be from the east/south/southeast, so will be behind runners for the most part. This means that there will be little cooling effect from the wind for most of the race, irrespective of whether it is Mar or Half.

Before the start, stay in the shade as much as possible.

Sun Block:
    Prob a good idea to wear sunblock, but don't overdo it. Cover areas that will be exposed. Remember you may be exposed to the sun for 2 to 6 hours!!
    Monday's UV index forecast for Cork is 7 = Strong - Burns Quickly :eek::eek::eek:

Course:
    There are several sites, with maps/links to maps that differ from the ones on the Cork Athletics (Marathon - Half-Mar) and Cork City Marathon websites. The one on the Cork Athletics website was compiled by the Course Measurer. The major difference this year is in the last mile, and the change applies to all events, Mar, Relay & Half-Mar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The Redbull Soapbox race is taking place on Sunday on Patrick's Hill. There are some road closures and traffic restrictions which may be of interest to people travelling into the city on Sunday before the Marathon. I can't see it causing too much hassle, but I could see it adding to traffic coming in from Blackpool.

http://www.redbull.com/ie/en/stories/1331797325643/soapbox-race-cork-faq-s

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

The Redbull Soapbox race is taking place on Sunday on Patrick's Hill. There are some road closures and traffic restrictions which may be of interest to people travelling into the city on Sunday before the Marathon. I can't see it causing too much hassle, but I could see it adding to traffic coming in from Blackpool.

http://www.redbull.com/ie/en/stories/1331797325643/soapbox-race-cork-faq-s

For those staying in the metropole there's no access to their car park until after 6pm.

wrstan wrote: »
    I dunno, according to those nice Norwegians, the weather looks good to me:

15 degrees C
    Cloudy
    wind 3m/s

I've certainly ran in worse!

Here's hoping the Norwegians are right and everyone else is wrong!!

Regarding the Old Railway line from Mahon, The Marina and Centre Park Road - has anyone else noticed that when the trees are in full leaf that the pace on your watch can be a bit off? I find the pace on my watch can jump around a bit especially on the first part of Centre Park Road when you come off the Marina, often reading a bit slower than it should. I suppose I bringing it up for people who may not be used the running in this area to say if you find this happening try and keep the effort steady rather than panicking because your pace has apparently dropped. And enjoy the brief respite from the heat - you'll have a couple of miles of shade here to prepare yourself for the final few miles.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

I'm providing a bit of moral support/water carrier duty for a buddy in the half so really looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Arrived down in Cork yesterday just after lunch and temp was 23 deg. Similar temperatures forecast again today

Looking like it's going to be a hot one tomorrow as well

Not liking that the lucozade will be in cups at the drinks stations :(

The expo was poor as well. Seemed half the people didn't bother to turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jaysus, lads, take it easy. Yes there was a fair bit of moaning there alright. I was going to post something about the negativity myself, but 'go back to wherever you came from' seems a bit harsh.

Take a chill pill folks and enjoy. Hope it doesn't get too hot. Would love to do this some year but as is would need a minimum of 2 days off work.

colin32 wrote:
    Arrived down in Cork yesterday just after lunch and temp was 23 deg. Similar temperatures forecast again today

colin32 wrote:

colin32 wrote:
    Not liking that the lucozade will be in cups at the drinks stations

colin32 wrote:

colin32 wrote:

colin32 wrote:

colin32 wrote:
    Not liking that the lucozade will be in cups at the drinks stations

colin32 wrote:

Welcome to Cork. I'm hoping it'll be a bit cooler on Monday but it's not looking like it will be by much so just get out there and enjoy yourself and if necessary adjust your pace to take the heat into account.
    I know cups aren't ideal, but at least the water is in bottles and to be fair this information was on the marathon website. I think they always do it this way.
    I agree that the expo was a bit sparse - only 3 or 4 stands as far as I could see, and your not the first person to say it either.
    Anyway I hope you enjoy your visit to Cork and that Monday goes well for you. So relax today and remember the most important thing is the race. The rest is just filler.

I'm just getting on the road now to head for the rebel county.

Trying to stay cool, but heck I'm excited :D

On the weather - on my last check, it'll be warm, but not roasting, cloudy but not too sunny, gentle enough breeze to cool the sweats but not to slow you down, and humidity falling quickly after 10am.

Positive thoughts folks!

Good luck to everyone, have a blast and enjoy the day.

PS I'll be in a bright orange Bray Runners singlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

wrstan wrote: »

PS I'll be in a bright orange Bray Runners singlet.

What time are you aiming for? I'll lookout for you if I can keep up to begin with :)

Got the train from Heuston at 8:30 this morning. Almost at the hotel. Pretty busy round town today with the Red Bull thing. Dropping bags and heading to expo.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. Regarding heat, I thought the DCM 2014 was very sunny throughout. Will be grand!

Any decent Italian restaurants that won't need a booking for this evening? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Weather is perfect at the moment. Not too warm, a little bit overcast,a cool breeze. Hopefully something similar tomorrow.

Looks like people aren't allowed to post about negative things by certain reactions

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow even in the heat

Staying just outside of cork & relaxing around hotel today

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Puibo wrote:
    Maybe you should just have stayed away wherever it is you are from with the negative attitude.

colin32 wrote:
    Looks like people aren't allowed to post about negative things by certain reactions

I withdrew the comment myself on the grounds that it was a bit harsh.

You were being negative, about the race surroundings. Just remember that you signed up for a race and not an expo.

Best of luck anyway!

I signed up for the race & the organisers of the race make you go to the expo to collect your race number. So that entitles me to comment

Anyway enjoy your day tomorrow

Took in the half way point in a bit of a run earlier. Weather was fairly humid but totally overcast, small bit of a breeze on the Mahon walkway. Could certainly tell it was the marathon tomorrow as normally I'd see loads of people on that route at the weekend.

spf1tx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

The expo was a bit miserable in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's a little expo. Good to be able to get a few gels and get out fast!

Jay D wrote: »
    What time are you aiming for? I'll lookout for you if I can keep up to begin with :)

I'm planning to start at 7:15 min pace and see how it goes from there. Say hello if you see me.

All the best in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of everything to all running tomorrow. Wrstan and Murph D...bestest to you guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

Good luck everyone for tomorrow this will be my second full marathon and hope its a good one. We are lucky people to be able to run. "THINK BELIEVE ACHIEVE." 😊🏃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Comte wrote: »
    Good luck everyone for tomorrow this will be my second full marathon and hope its a good one. We are lucky people to be able to run. "THINK BELIEVE ACHIEVE." 😊🏃

Absolutely right Comte!

For the weekend that's in it, your quote reminded me of this (and in the absence of a rave thread): "if my mind can conceive it and my heart can believe it, I can achieve it"

RIP Muhammed Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

The t-shirt is very tight, I should have got a XL, if anyone wants to exchange a XL size for a L PM

FFS this is nearly as bad as last year. Last year I did the full and got no sleep at all. This year I'm doing the half and only slept half the night so at least there's some consistency ☺. I didn't even think I was nervous but the moment my head hit the pillow the brain went into overdrive. I spent 5 minutes worrying about how the cross the marathon course to get to the city hall for the bag drop!!!. Any way I'm wide awake now but at least I got a good sleep Saturday night. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Best of luck to everyone this morning. Doing my first full marathon, actually really looking forward to it now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

**** the sun's out.

Advertisement