Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

echancrure wrote: »
    **** the sun's out.

It's June in Cork. Anything could happen.

Blatantly ripped from a friends Facebook page:

"Remember - 20 mile warm up, 10k race. Tuck in behind a big lad on any exposed bits where the wind is in your face (Blackrock Castle, Kinsale road). Just make it to the Lough in good enough shape and you'll fly the rest. Look forward to the downhill at the tennis village. And nothing beats racing down Patrick Street. You'll hear the crowds coming along the quays. The hard work was in the training. The race is your reward."

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Hot buttered scones I was exactly the same last night really struggled to get the mind to rest but I'm always the same with the pre race excitement!

Raddo soak up the atmosphere and focus on enjoying the day, running your first full marathon really is special.

Best of luck everyone running today, forget about the weather and lets smash it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Good luck to everyone going to be a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Is there any tracker for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Hope everyone was happy with their race on what was a humid morning. The pints are well deserved!

Unfortunately the half marathon start was a complete omni-shambles, with me sent the wrong way (along with others) at least twice. A real shame because it should have been a great race; brilliant support, water-stations, volunteer support. 53 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hope everyone was happy with their race on what was a humid morning. The pints are well deserved!

Unfortunately the half marathon start was a complete omni-shambles, with me sent the wrong way (along with others) at least twice. A real shame because it should have been a great race; brilliant support, water-stations, volunteer support. 53 euro?

I always hate to hear cock-up stories especially in my home town race. What the fcuk did they do? How difficult can it be to direct people in the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sun was so hot - hats off to the full marathon guys ! The half marathon was way to long - the markers were wrong from the start and really off putting to pacing .Not happy for the 68 bucks that I paid . It wasn't the garmin thing being out it was out by at least 700m from the start . Sorry to be a moaner but it cost a lot! Anybody else think this - were we sent the wrong way or what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Tough day at the office with that heat. Think it was the lead bike that went the wrong way adding a quarter mile to the race. He was probably only going the way he was directed by the stewards. Feel sorry for the people chasing PBs, who might have got them had it not been for the mistake. Hopefully they will come out quick and admit it.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sun was so hot - hats off to the full marathon guys ! The half marathon was way to long - the markers were wrong from the start and really off putting to pacing .Not happy for the 68 bucks that I paid . It wasn't the garmin thing being out it was out by at least 700m from the start . Sorry to be a moaner but it cost a lot! Anybody else think this - were we sent the wrong way or what happened?

I was wondering why my watch was way over! Very demotivating when the mile markers are much further ahead than you are expecting. Was my slowest time yet but really enjoyed the support and getting chatting to a few new runners.

Feel sorry for the poor woman whose legs gave way 10 metres from the end, me and another girl tried our best to get her over the line but we weren't able to carry her and had to call over the medics. Hope she was ok after.

Showered and fresh. .time for a siesta! Hope everyone else had a good day out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I was at the front of the half, seems like the bikes went the wrong way (or at least the way they were directed) which lead us head on into the on coming full marathon group at the sexton pub. A quick turn around onto the other side of the road over the median and back towards the start.

Just back and haven't had time to read the other comments. The start of the half was fubared. We ended up running up the marathon course towards the river with sub 3 marathoners coming against us and then had to do a hairpin turn and cross over the hundreds of halfers who were doing the same thing. Total joke. No stewards, no signage, nothing. Total jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's awful, so frustrating for those hoping for a PB today. Was it all the participants or just the lead runners affected? They've had issues with the HM in the past haven't they? Late starts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I was towards the front of the half too. There were 2 lead motorbikes but they went straight at the roundabout after about 100 yards instead of taking a left.

It added on about .4 of a mile for me.

From http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/cork016.html

2014Half_Start_map1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

ncmc wrote: »
    That's awful, so frustrating for those hoping for a PB today. Was it all the participants or just the lead runners affected? They've had issues with the HM in the past haven't they? Late starts etc?

Everyone was affected as far as I can make out - I certainly wasn't at the front. I think the two hour pacers were 3 mins over two hours because of this ! Poor guys and the seemed to be doing a super job as well. Don't know how the other pacers gone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Itziger wrote:
    I always hate to hear cock-up stories especially in my home town race. What the fcuk did they do? How difficult can it be to direct people in the right way?

A real shame alright. I was sent the complete wrong way, only covering 10 miles. I knew I was in trouble but there was no point turning back once I realised. I hate saying it but it was a complete mess. All done in the first mile, with many taking wrong turns. Just a mess. Once again, a real shame on a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Everyone was affected as far as I can make out - I certainly wasn't at the front. I think the two hour pacers were 3 mins over two hours because of this ! Poor guys and the seemed to be doing a super job as well. Don't know how the other pacers gone on.

I was one of the stewards at the start line and this was the first year that the motorbike outriders were used for the half. They went the wrong way and caused all the mayhem. Apologies to all for the balls up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just back and haven't had time to read the other comments. The start of the half was fubared. We ended up running up the marathon course towards the river with sub 3 marathoners coming against us and then had to do a hairpin turn and cross over the hundreds of halfers who were doing the same thing. Total joke. No stewards, no signage, nothing. Total jokeshop.

I was back with the 2:15 Pacers and was wondering what was going on... There was no divide between the out and back runners, all running on the same road. A bit mad. And at the 2 and 3 Mile markers I couldn't figure out how we were so behind when I was with the pacers!

But now I can blame the weather AND the long course :).

I wasn't going for a PB, would have been frustrating for those who were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Wow sounds a bit bad for the half lads.

I felt it was good overall. The people are just lovely around the course, especially the generous orange slices being doled out :) sponges were a nice touch too.

The relays were a bit demotivating though if I'm honest. Like how many times did they just sprint by me :( was struggling enough as it was :D

At one point I was comfortably in front of the 4 hour pacers. That dwindled just after the halfway mark. Then the 4:15s. Stil a pb all the same.
    I found it very tough from 35k but didn't stop unlike the last one I done DCM 2014. I kept running instead of walking even if it was a very slow running pace at times.

Be some craic in town tonight though. I for one am looking forward to a Guinness or two. Anyone heading out?

Illustration of the Half balls up on the Cork Running blog below.

1000+ runners sent the wrong way in the 2016 Cork City Half-Marathon... http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2016/06/runners-sent-wrong-way-in-2016-cork.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I was one of the stewards at the start line and this was the first year that the motorbike outriders were used for the half. They went the wrong way and caused all the mayhem. Apologies to all for the balls up.

To be honest it sounds a bit rich to be blaming the motorcyclists.
    Either they didn't get the right instructions (or possibly didn't listen!!) or the stewards that should be at the turns didn't direct them properly.
    They should, of course, have driven the route beforehand but the stewards should be in place in any case to make sure they go the right way.
    I'd feel sorry for anyone that was racing it or going for PBs'.
    Hopefully it's another lesson learned in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

To be honest it sounds a bit rich to be blaming the motorcyclists.
    Either they didn't get the right instructions (or possibly didn't listen!!) or the stewards that should be at the turns didn't direct them properly.
    They should, of course, have driven the route beforehand but the stewards should be in place in any case to make sure they go the right way.
    I'd feel sorry for anyone that was racing it or going for PBs'.
    Hopefully it's another lesson learned in any case.

I could have worded my post a bit better. While yes the outriders should have known the route it was a stewarding **** up. There was enough of us around the start line that another couple could have been used to control the roundabout which is a complicated junction so early in the race.
    As you say lessons have been learned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Crap situation for anyone aiming for a PB at the half, I'd put responsibility on the stewards, the route should have been properly restricted to prevent this type of mess. Its an expensive mistake to make especially considering its not a cheap half-marathon to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Tough day at the office for me. No issues with the course or the conditions, in fact I'm sure I'll be back. Have been battling a dose of PF for the past 4 weeks and I'm wondering if it was the cause of my woes.

Went through halfway in 1:34:30 feeling good. But hit those hills at 18/19 miles and my body just couldn't respond. Long way home after that.

I just keep telling myself I have a great cycle of marathon training in the bag, ready to build on for DCM. Then maybe back to the Rebel county.

Nice to meet Ferris_B on the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Cabaal wrote: »
    , I'd put responsibility on the stewards,r
    Put the responsibiliy on the organisers
    ..and well done yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I've never been one for collecting medals, but there's some serious bling in this one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Illustration of the Half balls up on the Cork Running blog below.

1000+ runners sent the wrong way in the 2016 Cork City Half-Marathon... http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2016/06/runners-sent-wrong-way-in-2016-cork.html

Just read that... What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

My bit of a video of the marathon just as it turned onto the South Mall.

That's mad about the half! I was running with a buddy & did think it a bit strange at the time as was fairly sure of the route beforehand. Didn't really affect us but of course incredibly annoying if you were going for a time etc.

opus wrote: »

That's mad about the half! I was running with a buddy & did think it a bit strange at the time as was fairly sure of the route beforehand. Didn't really affect us but of course incredibly annoying if you were going for a time etc.

I thought I was fairly sure of the route too, and then just assumed it was me who'd got it wrong until we did that u turn by the Sextant. Incredibly frustrating. To be honest though, I lost about the same amount of time due to the heat. I did feel a bit demotivated and let the head get the better of me at certain points. I was more than annoying though, because we met guys doing the full head on, there was people stopping and we had to cross over the full course and the stream of halters to get back onto Marina Terrace - so potentially dangerous too. Was on here or Facebook that I read some people went straight off down the South Link and ended up doing only 10 miles!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

So what are the arrangements for all those affected to get their money back?

Advertisement