Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

opus wrote: »
    My bit of a video of the marathon just as it turned onto the South Mall.

That's mad about the half! I was running with a buddy & did think it a bit strange at the time as was fairly sure of the route beforehand. Didn't really affect us but of course incredibly annoying if you were going for a time etc.

A lot of runners taking short cuts on that corner. Maybe they added extra miles to the half marathon To make up the full distance for cheeters

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UM1 wrote: »
    Put the responsibiliy on the organisers
    ..and well done yesterday,

well yes actually you're right,, I should have said organisers as they organise the stewards, clearly they didn't do a good job of this and any taping, cones etc on the road that should have been in place.

Thanks, almost a podium finish for the first time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

UM1 wrote: »
    Put the responsibiliy on the organisers
    ..and well done yesterday,

big +1 to this. The organiser has the responsibility to direct the stewards/lead bike etc. Stewards, bikers, other crew, almost none of whom receive a penny for the work they put it, are hardly ever to blame, although some organisers will sometimes allow this kind of misinformation to percolate around and distance themselves from the consequences. It was a screw up, pure and simple, likely caused by not ensuring there were enough stewards or competent bikers leading the race. Fair play to that steward who tried to assume some blame for not being on the roundabout but it wasn't his responsibility to assign positions.

Now - the amount of course cutting in this race, among relay racers, half racers, and marathoners alike, was just scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

A real shame alright. I was sent the complete wrong way, only covering 10 miles. I knew I was in trouble but there was no point turning back once I realised. I hate saying it but it was a complete mess. All done in the first mile, with many taking wrong turns. Just a mess. Once again, a real shame on a great day.

I was one of the others who did this, ran way out the link road before seeing the 3 mile marker for the HM when i should have been around a mile in. We were sent that way by someone who must have thought we were doing the marathon, i was sure this was wrong but i think the heat had addled my brain though so on i went :P I did turn round but as you say completely pointless and not sure why i did in the end - jogged it in from about six miles and ended up running almost 14 miles. Not a race i was targeting but frustrating and disappointing nonetheless. Fifth time running between half and full but not sure i'll come back again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Murph_D wrote: »
    big +1 to this. The organiser has the responsibility to direct the stewards/lead bike etc. Stewards, bikers, other crew, almost none of whom receive a penny for the work they put it, are hardly ever to blame, although some organisers will sometimes allow this kind of misinformation to percolate around and distance themselves from the consequences. It was a screw up, pure and simple, likely caused by not ensuring there were enough stewards or competent bikers leading the race. Fair play to that steward who tried to assume some blame for not being on the roundabout but it wasn't his responsibility to assign positions.

Now - the amount of course cutting in this race, among relay racers, half racers, and marathoners alike, was just scandalous!

I hope none of my posts read like I was balling the stewards, as that was;t my intention. A steward stands were they are told to, and directs runners where they are told to direct. This 100% the fault of the organisers.

As for the course cutting, I'm intrigued. TBH I felt like cutting down onto Centre Park Road (past the entrance to the Marquee) after that half start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

That's me! Not facebook though, the 10 miles. Still a 14 minute PB so no complaints from me!

Expecting a call about Rio any minute. Cancelled work and bought some extra holidays clothes. Looking forward to it now.

That's me! Not facebook though, the 10 miles. Still a 14 minute PB so bo complaints from me!

And as we all know, all that counts is the official time! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

And as we all know, all that counts is the official time! :-)

Really looking forward to the finish line video. Let's just say I didn't cross the line for the win.....haha

As for the course cutting, I'm intrigued. TBH I felt like cutting down onto Centre Park Road (past the entrance to the Marquee) after that half start.

Nah, just the usual stuff, jumping up on footpaths, running outside the cones etc. Mostly around town in first 5 miles of the full (by the end many runners were too f*cked to vault the kerb). :)

A lot of runners taking short cuts on that corner. Maybe they added extra miles to the half marathon To make up the full distance for cheeters

Well,if they did that they'd have been penalising the wrong people as the half didn't start till an hour and 40 mins after that video was shot. :rolleyes: But yes, the corner cutting was shocking, as it usually is.

• Advertisement

Just messing around with Strava there - I've no links or anything. Just an idea - what if they started the half and full together? You'd skip the Blackpool bit and add it to the end of the full. And go over Christy ring bridge at the start instead of the North Gate bridge. For the half finish you'd just after the turn off on Centre Park road down by where the Marquee is and send the full up Monahan Road. You'd also have to tweak the Southside route of the full a bit (up Pouladuff road instead of Lower Friars walk for example). This should help with the half route and also start the race at a decent time instead of almost midday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just messing around with Strava there - I've no links or anything. Just an idea - what if they started the half and full together? You'd skip the Blackpool bit and add it to the end of the full. And go over Christy ring bridge at the start instead of the North Gate bridge. For the half finish you'd just after the turn off on Centre Park road down by where the Marquee is and send the full up Monahan Road. You'd also have to tweak the Southside route of the full a bit (up Pouladuff road instead of Lower Friars walk for example). This should help with the half route and also start the race at a decent time instead of almost midday in June.

They need to sit down and consider all options. The limited experience that I have are of races where both started at the same time and place. No, 3 races now that I think of it. It can't be THAT difficult!

They also need to communicate with those involved, apologise and explain any changes for future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

The obvious solution is to start further out Victoria Rd; in fact it's so obvious that there must be a good reason why they are not doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

polaris68 wrote: »
    The obvious solution is to start further out Victoria Rd; in fact it's so obvious that there must be a good reason why they are not doing it!

With all the road closures the main route from Blackrock/ Mahon into town is in Blackrock road and then turn left at the traffic lights before Victoria Road. The race would have to start on Blackrock road (to avoid the loop in the first mile) This wouldn't allow any access into town from this direction.

polaris68 wrote: »
    With all the road closures the main route from Blackrock/ Mahon into town is in Blackrock road and then turn left at the traffic lights before Victoria Road. The race would have to start on Blackrock road (to avoid the loop in the first mile) This wouldn't allow any access into town from this direction.

That answers that questions then.
    Itziger wrote: »
    They need to sit down and consider all options. The limited experience that I have are of races where both started at the same time and place. No, 3 races now that I think of it. It can't be THAT difficult!
    They also need to communicate with those involved, apologise and explain any changes for future years.

I think a route change is needed and I'm definitely in favour of an earlier start. Yesterdays problem could have been solved very simply with some corriboard posters saying "half marathon this way" at the relevant points. The marathon course had signs at every turn. Why not the half, which (along with the relay) seems to be the money spinner? But creative. Run a contest to design a new course with a prize of free entry? There's loads of options, but what they all absolutely rely on is proper organisation and stewarding - without that there's always going to be mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

It seems that they can't run the event earlier in the year due to lack of an actual free weekend, there's no 'window' as such. If that is the case then they simply have to start the half earlier. It would be less disruptive to road closures and it wouldn't be as hot.

Either that or do away with the half altogether...they ran five simultaneous events altogether yesterday and that clearly diluted down resources and leadership. I know the half is the money-spinner but it won't be for very long with more of these cock ups.

I also would really, really encourage the organisers to change those signs we had to wear on our backs the whole way round the course yesterday. I can only assume they were to benefit the full marathon runners coming up behind us - did anyone find them to be of benefit? If so can mine please say '13.1' next year? I may be short, but I'm not a half of anything.

The support from residents in Turner's Cross, Ballyphehane and the Lough was outstanding yesterday, huge thanks to all the locals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The support from residents in Turner's Cross, Ballyphehane and the Lough was outstanding yesterday, huge thanks to all the locals there.

Yes, they were fantastic. Was a tough slog around that area so having so many people there really helped.
    Someone even had a hose out which really cooled me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Yes, they were fantastic. Was a tough slog around that area so having so many people there really helped.
    Someone even had a hose out which really cooled me down.

I ran through that hose, it was glorious. Thank you mysterious kind man.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/06/statement-from-cork-city-marathon.html
    STATEMENT FROM CORK CITY MARATHON ORGANISERS

The Irish Examiner Cork City Marathon 2016 took place in Cork city yesterday (Bank Holiday Monday) with almost 10,000 participants sharing the 10th anniversary of Cork City Marathon. With year on year growth, the Cork City Marathon is a much loved, inclusive race that attracts thousands to the region annually.

Organised by Cork City Council in partnership with Athletics Ireland and Cork BHAA (Business Houses Athletics Association) and supported by hundreds of volunteers , the Cork City Marathon 2016 had a number of Guinness World Record breakers at yesterday’s event. Philip Harty (West Waterford AC) and Nollaigh O’Neill (Leevale AC) were the marathon winners. Due to the humid temperature, overall race times were slower than normal which is to be anticipated.

However there was an issue at the start of the Cork City Half Marathon which added additional distance to the marathon and therefore impacted on the runners’ running times.

“On behalf of the Cork City Marathon team, I would like to sincerely apologise to the Half Marathon runners who were affected yesterday by an incident at the beginning of the Half Marathon” said Cork City Marathon Race Director, Jim O’Donovan of Cork City Council.

“We are carrying out a full review of the Half Marathon start and course including stewarding, barriers and lead vehicles. We will do our utmost to ensure that this will not happen again at Cork City Marathon.”

Mr. O’Donovan added that the team involved in Cork City Marathon were committed to organising a high quality marathon for Cork city.

The Cork City Marathon organisers have accepted full responsibility for the incident and apologise sincerely to the runners of the marathon.

The incident occurred when an international participant went off course close to the Half Marathon start line. Due to the speed of the wheelchair competitor, the stewards on foot were unable to stop the participant and the motorbike stewards went to redirect the participant. The Half Marathon runners followed the stewarding bikes on to Albert Road which was off course. They were quickly rerouted onto an alternate course, but naturally this caused confusion for those familiar with the Cork City Half Marathon route and also added additional time to the runners’s finishing times.

Cabaal wrote: »

So it was the wheelchair athletes fault then? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

the only question i have is how did the international wheelchair participant get though?

why wasnt there someone standing there blocking the way?

only grip i have was there was no water etc at the relay changeovers,

say a few comming in battered from running more than one leg and there was nothing to drink...

and my relay team mate who didnt show up, f u i smashed those 10ish miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

They need to sort out the half route, get rid of the relay it is a pain in the arse trying to run around them at the start and they are stuck up with the 3 hour pacers for the marathon, provide water bottles with a sports cap like they had 2 years ago - I lost most of the water over me which resulted in me walking at the last few water stops to make sure I got water into me. oh and the need to provide garmins at the start for eedjits like me that forget their watches !! :D

They need to sort out the half route, get rid of the relay it is a pain in the arse trying to run around them at the start and they are stuck up with the 3 hour pacers for the marathon,

noooooooo not the relay!!!!!

I was at the third relay point and it was brutal, marathon runners should be on one side and relays on the other.

there was a guy shouting directions but he was at the end of the changeover point not that start was pointless like...

marathoners getting cut across and everything...

They need to sort out the half route, get rid of the relay it is a pain in the arse trying to run around them at the start and they are stuck up with the 3 hour pacers for the marathon, provide water bottles with a sports cap like they had 2 years ago - I lost most of the water over me which resulted in me walking at the last few water stops to make sure I got water into me. oh and the need to provide garmins at the start for eedjits like me that forget their watches !! :D

+1 on the water bottles. The bottles they handed out come with a sports cap (I've bought them before) so I don't see why they were removed. Although I just took a couple of mouthfuls and poured the rest over my head. Those sponges were a godsend!!! As for getting rid of the relay - they are saying 10,000 took part yesterday - that's about 1,100 for the full and about 2,100 for the half. The bulk of participants are in the relay/youth challenge etc. There's no way that's going anywhere. I've done all my giving out for now. Once we got onto the full course the water stations were well run, and the local support was great. The relay changeovers were a bit crowded, but a few barriers should sort that out.
    A bit sore and tired today, but I'm moving onto the next challenge. Roll on DCM 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I think the organisers need to issue an official apology re the half distance as soon as possible, their silence is unprofessional and frustrating people further.

Focusing on the many positives.. it's my third year running this event and I must say the residents of Turners Cross, the Lough and Glasheen really are fantastic and put in a super effort every year round. Their cheering (and jellies and orange slices) after that tough climb up from kinsale road/south link gives a great boost when the legs are fit to give up.

I think the organisers need to issue an official apology re the half distance as soon as possible because their silence is coming across as unprofessional and frustrating people further.

Focusing on the many positives.. it's my third year running this event and I must say the residents of Turners Cross, the Lough and Glasheen really are fantastic and put in a super effort every year round. Their cheering (and jellies and orange slices) after that tough climb up from kinsale road/south link gives a great boost when the legs are fit to give up.

They have released a statement. Its posted earlier on in this thread. Basically it woz the wheelchair guy wot did it.

I think the organisers need to issue an official apology re the half distance as soon as possible, their silence is unprofessional and frustrating people further.

with the utmost respect did you read the posts above??

the apology is literally copied and pasted like 5 posts above yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Would agree on the support - even better than 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Apologies. ..only saw the last few posts, missed the others on the phone. Had checked the CCM Facebook page a short while ago and thought if anything was released it would be on there.

Poor excuse from them really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So it was the wheelchair athletes fault then? :rolleyes:

It's actually funny to read that the 'bleedin fordener' went the wrong way and then say the motorcyclists tried to catch them because he/she was so fast, but all the runners ran after the motorcyclists anyway.

Advertisement