Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Usual pap..alway bleedin someone elses fault..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I really do not get this. It was an organisational problem, no one volunteer or athlete should be to blame. The first mile in particular should be fool proof.

I really do not want to too hard on the race but I paid 53 euro. That's over double the price of other races (Bohermeen etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Just a couple of more things - I didn't see a clock for the half at the finish line, just a marathon clock. I may have missed it but I don't think so. Also last years Finish line video was free (although it was with a now defunct company).
    This year I received an email from some Marathon Photo company trying to sell me this video for €9.99!! And only 6 photos from the top of Patrick Street for €13.99 each or €40 for the lot. Majorly annoyed because I never buy official photos, but these photos are the best photos I've ever seen of me running. Two feet off the ground as I turned the corner onto Patrick Street!! I may have to give up my principles on this occasion and give into my vanity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Just a couple of more things - I didn't see a clock for the half at the finish line, just a marathon clock. I may have missed it but I don't think so. Also last years Finish line video was free (although it was with a now defunct company).
    This year I received an email from some Marathon Photo company trying to sell me this video for €9.99!! And only 6 photos from the top of Patrick Street for €13.99 each or €40 for the lot. Majorly annoyed because I never buy official photos, but these photos are the best photos I've ever seen of me running. Two feet off the ground as I turned the corner onto Patrick Street!! I may have to give up my principles on this occasion and give into my vanity. :)
    Sure go for it. I remember pre paying for DCM ones in 2014 and I really mean it when I say they were complete sh!te. I think I paid €35 and got a few where's wally style photos of a massive crowd I'm supposedly in and 3 or 4 individuals of me. Admittedly I looked pretty crap in all them so doubly p'd off :D

I had some ground crew with me this time who got some nice snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

the only question i have is how did the international wheelchair participant get though?

why wasnt there someone standing there blocking the way?

only grip i have was there was no water etc at the relay changeovers,

say a few comming in battered from running more than one leg and there was nothing to drink...

and my relay team mate who didnt show up, f u i smashed those 10ish miles!

It's a bad place to put water as relay runners waiting their turn will stand around drinking it and when the tail enders in particular come in there'll be nothing there for them. They'd need massive supplies at every changeover, something that's probably not feasible.

Ideally the waiting member of your relay team should have something there waiting for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

It's a bad place to put water as relay runners waiting their turn will stand around drinking it and when the tail enders in particular come in there'll be nothing there for them. They'd need massive supplies at every changeover, something that's probably not feasible.
    true but it could have been managed better, particularly at the ringmahon part was madness... relay people both sides wandering into the road to see if they could spot their counterparts, marathoners trying to get past...
    victoria road seemed much better, even though i spent a solid 5 minutes trying to find my D person...
    Ideally the waiting member of your relay team should have something there waiting for you.

my waiting D member didnt bother to show up so i ended up doing the 3rd and 4th legs literally almost died hahaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just a couple of more things - I didn't see a clock for the half at the finish line, just a marathon clock. I may have missed it but I don't think so.

It was poorly positioned alright. I only caught it myself while waiting for someone else to finish. It was low down on the right hand side of the finishing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've done the full, half and relay in the past and they've always had problems with the half.

The year I did it, they couldn't get the buses out to the start in time as everyone left it too late to go from the city. Last year they had problems as well on buses getting lost IIRC and then you've a very fast wheelchair this year (Waterford Whispers News would be proud of it).

The reason I was told before they start the half at that time is so that the male and female winners can be over the line and get the acclaim before they get swamped by the half runners.

Problem is that you've the knock on effect then on the main body of marathon runners so they're always going to have issues in Cork but they don't seem to be able to fix it despite a number of efforts over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It should be possible to get the Half right

Think it was over 2,000 finished it so it should get the respect the runners deserved

Half runners can step up to the Full next year (not that that's likely for me ever) but 5 people from the club stepped up from this time last year

Total bedlam at the start yesterday

The minimum should be road's blocked off that you're not meant to run down and signs for the actual route

I don't like when people say do away with x part

The different runners, routes and races make Cork for me

You will never please everyone but it should be possible to run all the races together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Well done on the PB corklad! Running through the tunnel is a lovely quirk the first time you do the full as someone living in Cork it's just a bit mad to be running through it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done and congrats on the PB. I'd agree with everything based on my experience doing the full last year - I loved it.
    I was wondering what the change in the finish from last year (i.e. not running over Patricks Bridge) would be like, but it really worked. The crowd felt a lot closer as you turned the corner onto Patrick Street and seeing my family there gave me a real boost to finish strong when I thought I was spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Well done Corkladd. I was that mad ass 3.45 pacer with ye for the day. Must say, what a great group to pace. All up for the craic, makes the day pass much quicker when the banter is flowing. Great stuff on that PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

So, let me get this straight. They purposely took 2000 people off route to make sure one person didn't go the wrong way?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

El Caballo wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight. They purposely took 2000 people off route to make sure one person didn't go the wrong way?:rolleyes:

No, the 2000 people were to blame for stupidly following the lead motorbikes... Duh... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I also ran the full yesterday. Race was the most enjoyable marathon I've ran with a pb at the end. I ran Cork 2 years ago and some things have changed and not for the better.
    I agree with earlier post the water bottles were annoying with no top on.
    The changeover for the relay was mental but I was expecting this.
    I liked that the half and relay runners were clearly identified. It didn't feel too bad to be passed by someone going twice the speed as me when I knew they were running a different race.
    I know the previous timing company are no more but there was no where to see the results.
    And does anybody else think the expo, shirt and the goody bag was muck. Two years ago we got a lovely black top that still now looks like new, with a great goody bag that included a mug.
    This year colour catcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

i was told to go back where I came from the other day when I criticised the expo. Glad someone else agrees with me. It was embarrassing & cheap

I did the half and the start was poor from the organisers and to blame others is a joke

I thought the support was good all the way round

I won't be doing this race again though. Just seems to be a mo eye making scheme & to hell with the runners

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

My first time running in Cork, and I LOVED it!! Yes it was a hot day, but I was so happy for that lovely little breeze we had cooling us off for much of the route.
    Supporters were amazing, the route was much more scenic than I'd expected from a city marathon!!
    The regular-cap bottles were a strange choice for a race, but every single bottle handed to me by a water station volunteer had been opened beforehand, so I never had to struggle with that, and it made it easier to toss half the contents over my head to cool down, so score!

I ran the marathon, and somehow my Garmin was showing 700-800m long (about half a mile) from beyond the tunnel. Anyone else find the same thing? I'm just trying to figure out if it was my Garmin that got confused in the tunnel or the route itself. Mind you I'm not complaining - I got to run an ultra (ended up 43.2km on my Garmin) for the price of a marathon, double-score! And still finished within my goal time, so very happy with the result.

All in all a fantastic day, I had a blast from start to end!! Even managed to pull some energy for the final 3 miles, picking up my pace for the home stretch and finishing at full sprint! Big grin on my face the whole way! :D:D:D

Fantastic day, huge thank you to the organisers and volunteers for pulling off a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

The regular-cap bottles were a strange choice for a race,

I am beginning to wonder if they did this this year so that the bottles would be disposed off close to the water stations and make it easier to clean up rather than someone being able to sip the bottle as they go along and drop it in between stations.

• Advertisement

I have never got the Irish fascination with bottled water. The cups used in Holland etc. are so far superior in almost every way. If nothing else bottled water makes almost every station dangerous underfoot, nevermind the waste and cost implications.

We need to move on and get over bottled water imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

The water thing has long been contested. Some give out cause the cap was taken off, some cause it was left on, others (including myself) prefer sports caps and then some say bottles are too tricky and we should just have cups. No race organiser is going to please everyone here, the most important thing is that there is plenty of opportunities to take in water around the course, and with 14 scheduled water stations on the full course on Monday we were well catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

I really enjoyed the whole event. From picking up the number at registration and having a quick gander at the expo. The footage from last year on the screen really caught my interest. The excitement the morning of the race. Nothing like running the streets of your home city!

To those who are still complaining about this and that, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, can ye just be happy with your achievements? Don't loose sight of why we all take part!

Fair enough, from what I'm reading the start of the half was a bit of a shambles but the organisers are human too. Nobody was injured, nobody was hurt.

Well done to all who took part and thank you to all who supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

capless bottles is so that if stood on the contents will come out and bottle compresses rather than potentially you going over your ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Results for people who cant follow links on the CCM website

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have never got the Irish fascination with bottled water. The cups used in Holland etc. are so far superior in almost every way. If nothing else bottled water makes almost every station dangerous underfoot, nevermind the waste and cost implications.

We need to move on and get over bottled water imo!

Water in cups would also reduce the risk of people drinking too much in warm weather as most of it will get spilt. More difficult to manage the filling up of cups at the water stations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

robinph wrote: »
    Water in cups would also reduce the risk of people drinking too much in warm weather as most of it will get spilt. More difficult to manage the filling up of cups at the water stations though.

water in capless bottles also mean people can drink too little as it spills everywhere before you get a chance to drink it - I ended up having to stop to take on water as there was no point otherwise it ended up all over me rather than in my gob - with sports cap I could sip as I needed.

Sounds like it is very much a personal preference though but i was surprised after we had sports lids the last time i did it. had i known i would have been tempted to bring my own bottle and fill up on route.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Puibo wrote:
    To those who are still complaining about this and that, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, can ye just be happy with your achievements? Don't loose sight of why we all take part!

The reason I have been critical of the event is because it is an event that not just includes the run, it's the organisation, the registration, the expo and everything else that goes with it. Cork is a city marathon and going on previous Cork marathons this year's event was a bit of a disappointment.

In my opinion the best are the foam cups every 5k over the half and full distances. What really is a great idea is the small sponges full of water, a complete godsend on a hot day (as well as cold!). The best way of cooling the body down.

Off-topic but Facebook was hilarious during the week with conflicting advice rampant: DON'T UNDER-HYDRATE.......DON'T OVER-HYDRATE! I really felt sorry for any novice marathon runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Puibo wrote: »

Fair enough, from what I'm reading the start of the half was a bit of a shambles but the organisers are human too. Nobody was injured, nobody was hurt.

to be fair there were quite a few cock ups, and thats not true,

I saw two runners taken off the course at the marina after falling... one of them was in the horrors and it looked like she'd tripped or slipped on a bottle or something...
    people were given tshirts for the wrong sex (ie men given womens sized tshirts)
    the half route was just the biggest mess up on the day
    my team relay didn't get a bracelet to hand over and talking to other groups they didnt either...
    two people on my relay bus were directed wrong
    the bags were terrible- curry sauce and a voucher? like for €80 could ya know throw in a gel or bar or something?
    the water bottles caps are a minor annoyance to me but the other stuff like the half mix up and the buses etc are stuff that seriously needs to be improved...

dont get me wrong i loved the day and im not a competitive runner but i did the relay with a view to moving up next year and would seriously consider not after the mess this year.

the sponges down the marina were a god send though... and the people with the hose out before the model farm road

still no offer of a refund to the half marathon runners i see...

Advertisement