Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2016

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

still no offer of a refund to the half marathon runners i see...

Can't honestly see that happening. Road Closures, Gardai, Water, Barriers, Timing, Medals, Fruit, Security, Tents etc. all has to be paid for and doesn't come cheap.

I doubt very much that this marathon makes much of a profit in the first place so if they gave out refunds they'd probably end up in a massive loss resulting in probably a higher entry fee next year to recoup losses or the possible scrapping of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

whats done is done , and cant be undone

I was disappointed with the half , but i am not expecting a refund. it was an extra half mile or so, if you can go a half marathon distance , and extra half should be ok. it was disappointing that after a few minutes of the race my race target was out the window, i was annoyed and rightly so, but i still enjoyed the race, finisged with a reasonable time and celebrated as if i won the race..
    we need to move on, although i can see peoples frustration, cork marathon organisers need to make a proper apology and ensure it cant happen again and stop blaming the wheelchair person, it sounds like an excuse Basil fawlty would give. thats the worst aspect of this whole affair tbh.

at the end of the day, it was badly organised..as a famous cork man once said..fail to prepare then prepare to fail..

never though he would be right!

happy running all, thats the most important aspect. their will be other days where all will go correctly..and other days where human error takes over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Puibo wrote: »
    To those who are still complaining about this and that, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, can ye just be happy with your achievements? Don't loose sight of why we all take part!

Fair enough, from what I'm reading the start of the half was a bit of a shambles but the organisers are human too. Nobody was injured, nobody was hurt.

What about someone who did it as a goal race, paid for a hotel for two nights, travelled to Cork and back and had entered the half to get a right old mess of a race? Would you have any more sympathy for them?

A proper apology instead of a half hearted one where they blamed a wheelchair athlete (did they remove the barriers to go the wrong road?) would be something. No one will get their money back or their wasted time but it would be nice if the organisers treated people with a bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Can't honestly see that happening. Road Closures, Gardai, Water, Barriers, Timing, Medals, Fruit, Security, Tents etc. all has to be paid for and doesn't come cheap.

I doubt very much that this marathon makes much of a profit in the first place so if they gave out refunds they'd probably end up in a massive loss resulting in probably a higher entry fee next year to recoup losses or the possible scrapping of the event.

The event makes a loss every year and the bill is footed by Cork City Council to make the event viable so anyone that thinks the organisers are in it for the profit are mistaken. There will be no refunds as there is no money to refund people unless an organisation like the city council fund the bill which is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

El Caballo wrote: »
    The event makes a loss every year and the bill is footed by Cork City Council to make the event viable so anyone that thinks the organisers are in it for the profit are mistaken. There will be no refunds as there is no money to refund people unless an organisation like the city council fund the bill which is not going to happen.

Well, I for one am going after a full refund. I would have accepted a small mistake but I ran 10 miles. 53 euro for 10 miles. In no way can I accept that. It's not about the money, it's the sheer principal of it.

108 euro on a hotel.
    24 on transport.
    Dinner, breakfast lunch etc.

A very expensive weekend.

I would also suggest that if the council makes a loss on the event it would want to take a look at it's business model. As far as the half went it was a complete amateur attempt. I take no pleasure in that. I would rather run the race I paid handsomely for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Well, I for one am going after a full refund. I would have accepted a small mistake but I ran 10 miles. .

how did you run 10 miles?
    i thought the issue was that it was half a mile too long?

how did you run 10 miles?
    i thought the issue was that it was half a mile too long?

I was again misdirected. I have run races were the course was 10% out but never have I seen such a mess. I have the garmin trace so all verifiable.

I will look back on the data but it looks like the group got split again after the u-turn, with me (and a few others) misdirected. I expected to get overtaken by the Sergiu/Somba etc. but that obviously never happened. Once I realised I was 100% in the wrong area it was too late so I ran the remaining miles back to the city. Not knowing Cork wasn't a help!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Not being funny but there's less chance of a refund if you didn't complete the race

I did the half marathon myself & disappointed with the mistake but know full well there'll be no refund given. A proper apology would be good manners though

I hired a car & 2 nights at a hotel as well plus parking costs & food/drinks

colin32 wrote: »
    Not being funny but there's less chance of a refund if you didn't complete the race

I did the half marathon myself & disappointed with the mistake but know full well there'll be no refund given. A proper apology would be good manners though

I hired a car & 2 nights at a hotel as well plus parking costs & food/drinks

I did actually finish (technically). I stopped just before the gantry. I did not want any trouble with the placing etc. I jogged back and helped someone to the finish line.

Again it's the principal. I know the chances are slim but I would not accept it in an other form of life, be it professional or as a consumer so I see no reason not ask for what I believe is right.

colin32 wrote: »

totally agree i think it could be abated by an email to the participants saying sorry, simple and effective, we're sorry we messed up no blame no excuses just sorry.
    but you never know.
    I was again misdirected. I have run races were the course was 10% out but never have I seen such a mess. I have the garmin trace so all verifiable.

weird i had over 100 people from my club running and while everyone doing the half was redirected the wrong way doing just under half a mile extra i didn't hear of anyone doing three miles less, thats ridiculous... how did that not come out with all the complaining going on?

• Advertisement

weird i had over 100 people from my club running and while everyone doing the half was redirected the wrong way doing just under half a mile extra i didn't hear of anyone doing three miles less, thats ridiculous... how did that not come out with all the complaining going on?

Again, I will analyse the course vs. trace when home but front group came to a full stop, with little idea where to go. I came to a complete stop. Some continued on and I, along with others were ushered in the wrong direction. I followed someone and again was told we were correct. I overtook him and actually thought I was leading! Haha. I expected the leaders to overtake as mentioned but after a mile that did not happen. I knew then I was in the wrong place. Crossing the Mile 5 mark (I think) in around 12 minutes fully confirmed it :o......

I guess it was a handful of people it really affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

You must have continue straight onto the link after the u-turn I presume instead of following the left turn back towards the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    You must have continue straight onto the link after the u-turn I presume instead of following the left turn back towards the roundabout
    Nah at the uturn he prob filtered into the full marathon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/avfc2011/albums/72157668992181201/page3

this only happened to two people according to the photos taken a tad bit up the south link. I wonder if you crossed the line would he have got the prize as it was not through your own fault.

It could always be worse
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/avfc2011/27409841812/in/album-72157668992181201/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

rom wrote: »

My type of runner leave it all on the road when u race:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

ger664 wrote: »
    My type of runner leave it all on the road when u race:p

Is he a relay runner? Chucking it up after 4.8 miles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Itziger wrote:

Secondary School kid - I think the red numbers were for the youth challenge.

Itziger wrote: »

not everyone only did one leg, i did two and was totally fukced after them.

the C and D legs he cold have done the last two or was just battered from the heat poor fecker..

Advertisement