Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Problem?

Options
  • 02-03-2016 1:35am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the last couple of days while playing a game (after 20 minutes or so) the game will freeze and I have to close it. But after that, no media works at all. Videos dont play on Youtube or Vlc/media player, nor any sound.

I feel like something is crashing, causing the game to freeze and lack of sound and video playback, but no idea what it could be :confused:

Using Windows 7
    GTX 750Ti
    8gb ram

Hope someone can help, an awful pain having to restart every 30 mins :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Did you check Event Viewer before each crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like a graphics driver crash. If you use HDMI that also covers your audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Time to move to 10?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Drivers are up to date on the graphics, mobo and cpu
    me_irl wrote: »
    Did you check Event Viewer before each crash?

No, but I will next time. What should I be looking out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yakult wrote: »
    In the last couple of days while playing a game (after 20 minutes or so) the game will freeze

While you have updated your graphics drivers... have you checked for any patches specific to that game you were playing?
    Especially if it only occurs in that game.

Other thoughts are over heating in the graphics card.
    Time to move to 10?

That's not a magic bullet solution and could introduce more issues.

I upgraded my old Quad-core Q6700 PC with GeForce 9800 GTX PC from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro around Christmas.
    Luckily I don't use it that frequently, but was getting annoyingly frequent crashes similar to the OP and not under any load either.

I installed the latest graphics drivers, disabled Power saving in the Win control panel, disabled the "Link State" power saving on the "PCI Express" item in the Windows control panel power options.

But I "think" I've fixed it after months of searching.
    In the BIOS settings, I disabled anything power saving, mainly in the ACPI settings especially related to PCIE (pci express slot for the graphics card). Haven't had a crash yet, although it's only day 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yakult wrote: »
    Drivers are up to date on the graphics, mobo and cpu

No, but I will next time. What should I be looking out for?

From here...http://superuser.com/questions/260433/windows-7-crashing-after-update-how-to-check-event-logs
    The Event Viewer log you need to look at is Custom Views > Administrative Events, they will be flagged as Error or Critical

These logs won't tell you much about what caused it, look and see if you have a folder in the Windows directory called Minidump, see if there are any .dmp files in there.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Hope that narrows it down!

Advertisement