Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland trip

Options
  • 02-03-2016 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to head to Scotland for three or four nights during the Summer.

Spotted some cheap flights to Glasgow airport with Ryanair.

Anyone have any recommendations of nice areas to visit? I am into hiking/walking and checking out scenery.

Is Glasgow the best airport to fly into or would another airport be better? How are connections to and from the airport?

Also, hotels, any recommendations?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Lots of places for hiking/scenery in Scotland.

From Glasgow, take the train to Mallaig. This is akin to taking the train over the Sally Gap here. There's plenty of minor stations later on - some are stop by request only - that you can get off at and go for a hike. Can't remember which ones are best exactly, but I'm sure if you do a search for the line, you'll find photos/suggestions.

The Isle of Skye is just across from Mallaig; regular boats between the two.

Just one option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cdeb wrote: »
    Lots of places for hiking/scenery in Scotland.

From Glasgow, take the train to Mallaig. This is akin to taking the train over the Sally Gap here. There's plenty of minor stations later on - some are stop by request only - that you can get off at and go for a hike. Can't remember which ones are best exactly, but I'm sure if you do a search for the line, you'll find photos/suggestions.

The Isle of Skye is just across from Mallaig; regular boats between the two.

Just one option anyway.

Many thanks! Glasgow is €20 return with Ryanair so will probably fly there as connections seem pretty good. Just need to get the bus from the airport to the train station.

Any other suggestions also welcome.

Advertisement