Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rivving knife

Options
  • 02-03-2016 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Just curious, I see a lot of American pictures or YouTube videos of table saws with no knife behind the blade.
    I have always assumed they're essential, is this not the case? Are they optional?
    One big advantage I can see of not having them is being able to cut tennon-shoulders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They are not essential if you use a bit of common sense. Most saws sold in the US still don't bother fitting one but they are an EU requirement on all new saws. I have an American saw and find that the only problem arises with wood movement in ripping boards when it begins to pinch the blade - just stop the cut and flip the board.A more efficient way of making tenons is to make a jig to ride on the fence and push the board over the blade in a vertical position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i wouldn't remove it.
    I cut the top off of mine to allow for half way through cuts. I then put a guard on an arm over the blade to collect the dust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

i wouldn't remove it.
    I cut the top off of mine to allow for half way through cuts. I then put a guard on an arm over the blade to collect the dust

Does the guard not ride up and down with the blade. ? The problem arises with a narrow kerf blade when the kerf is too narrow to clear the guard.Having on overhead guard is great in theory but I like to see whats happening with the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the guard that came with it was attached to the riving knife and razed and lowered with the blade.
    I cut off the knife so that it didn't stick up past the top of the blade.
    the guard I have on mine is made by axminster in the uk and is clear.
    mine is a bit like this

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-industrial-series-tsce-12r-overhead-crown-guard-kit-508229

you should get an appropriate sized knife when you get a thinner or thicker blade. they are a great safety feature

Advertisement