Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad Air 2 - Screen issue

• 02-03-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I have an iPad air 2 which is about 14 months old and last night for the first time I noticed that there are blue blotches on the screen which are only properly visible on black or grey backgrounds.

The iPad wasn't dropped or anything and this appears to have just happened suddenly. Has anyone experienced this? Can I contact Apple online and return the iPad (I don't have apple care) or is the warranty only 12 months?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Contact apple either by chat or phone, they will know its only 14months old and give you the benefit of doubt etc. My son had beats headphones bought in Bestbuy in NY, no receipt. Got onto them and they replaced them as a good will gesture.

Say to Apple you cant believe that you only had ipad for 14months and it has developed a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

EU warranty on electrical goods is 2 years, covers manufacturing faults. As long as it wasn't damaged by yourself you're good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

In Ireland the Sale Of Goods Act covers us for upto 6 years and Apple are one of the only companies I know here that actually acknowledge it:

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Dom3XmH.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    EU warranty on electrical goods is 2 years, covers manufacturing faults. As long as it wasn't damaged by yourself you're good.

Never enacted in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

whiterebel wrote: »

The sister got an iPad through school and the screen went bad. At the time it was 2.5 years old. I got onto the guys who supplied the school. They put in a claim on the eu warranty to Apple and Apple replaced it. Had to send pics to ensure she didn't damage it herself. The lady told me they do eu claims a good bit but there can't be any physical damage to the iPad casing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pete123456 wrote: »
    The sister got an iPad through school and the screen went bad. At the time it was 2.5 years old. I got onto the guys who supplied the school. They put in a claim on the eu warranty to Apple and Apple replaced it. Had to send pics to ensure she didn't damage it herself. The lady told me they do eu claims a good bit but there can't be any physical damage to the iPad casing.

So its a 2.5 year EU warranty? The 2 year warranty was never enacted in Ireland, as the Sale of Goods Act offered greater protection.
    Whatever they did for your sister doesn't seem to have been done under any of these, as the claim is with whoever sold it, not the manufacturer. It wouldn't be up to Apple to do anything about it no matter what the circumstance if they didn't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Thanks for the information and suggestions guys, I will get on to Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

whiterebel wrote: »

Oh it's enacted alright, but Irish law covers for 6 years.
    EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's not because the Irish consumer protection offers more.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The solution offered was to bring it to compu b and arrange a repair at my expense. I wasn't really expecting anything else I suppose as its out of warranty. Disappointing build quality though given the age of the device and just bad timing.

• Advertisement

The 2 year warranty was never enacted because the SoGA provided more protection than required under the EU legislation.

Advertisement