Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Open International Tickets?

• 02-03-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows about how much tickets cost for the Irish Open International kickboxing tournament in Dublin this weekend. My wife and I will be in the area and are planning to go from about 4pm to 11pm on the Saturday. I cannot see any mention of tickets or costs on the http://www.irishopenonline.com/ website, but I can't imagine we can just walk in and spectate for free?

Does anybody know about this year or from past experience the approximate cost of a ticket for the Saturday and if we will be able to pay on the door?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

I emailed City West Hotel Events Centre this morning and they confirmed the tickets for Saturday are 10 to 15 euro just in case anyone else was keeping an eye on this thread for the same info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That's crazy money to pay.

I know City West is expensive but the entry field would have that covered no bother.

The Irish Open (Judo) is also on tomorrow, 5th March in DCU and its free admission so far as I can recall.

That's crazy money to pay.

I know City West is expensive but the entry field would have that covered no bother.

The Irish Open (Judo) is also on tomorrow, 5th March in DCU and its free admission so far as I can recall.

Turns out it was 10 for the day, 15 for the weekend which was fair enough for a full day out. My wife started kickboxing recently so she wanted to see the competition. In that sense we got our moneys worth but thanks for the alternative suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Turns out it was 10 for the day, 15 for the weekend which was fair enough for a full day out. My wife started kickboxing recently so she wanted to see the competition. In that sense we got our moneys worth but thanks for the alternative suggestion

Ah cool, I thought maybe you just wanted to see some martial arts.

I've a background in kickboxing, Mugendo Coolock and have competed in the Irish Open. Its a good event, I hope you and your wife had a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Hope you enjoyed the event. Over 4000 competitors this year. It really is the pinnacle of Kickboxing tournaments.

• Advertisement

Overall it was enjoyable, thanks. We struggled a little initially to understand just what was going on due to the overwhelming scale of having so many things going on at once. But as the day went on we started to understand the structure better and I started to understand the scoring and rules better, and we started to recognise fighters as they progressed.

Towards the end of the day there was an exceptionally tense and dramatic final in the women's point scoring (Greece v Italy) where they kept quickly exchanging points as the seconds ticked down. As it was one of the last events still on, their respective teams had gathered around the fight so there was an a good atmosphere and it eventually went to sudden death with the Italian girl getting the point and the win in dramatic fashion. For me, that fight was practically worth the entry on it's own, and we've already spoken about going back again next year now that we've gotten a feel for it.

My wife started kickboxing about 5 months ago and enjoys it a lot. Her coach is encouraging (not pushing, in fairness) her to compete so she wanted to see what competition was like. She's already athletic, fit and very strong so she mainly just needs to focus on learning and improving technique in order to be able to compete. Her natural preference is towards Light contact, as she prefers to 'keep going' after being hit during sparring at her club, however seeing the fights up close now she thinks she may start with the point fighting to get some experience first. Would this be the most suitable approach or should she focus on the light contact style from the start rather than switching between the two? While there are obvious similarities, it looks to be two completely different approaches to me and you could be very good at one yet poor at the other depending on your strengths.

Overall it was enjoyable, thanks. We struggled a little initially to understand just what was going on due to the overwhelming scale of having so many things going on at once. But as the day went on we started to understand the structure better and I started to understand the scoring and rules better, and we started to recognise fighters as they progressed.

Towards the end of the day there was an exceptionally tense and dramatic final in the women's point scoring (Greece v Italy) where they kept quickly exchanging points as the seconds ticked down. As it was one of the last events still on, their respective teams had gathered around the fight so there was an a good atmosphere and it eventually went to sudden death with the Italian girl getting the point and the win in dramatic fashion. For me, that fight was practically worth the entry on it's own, and we've already spoken about going back again next year now that we've gotten a feel for it.

My wife started kickboxing about 5 months ago and enjoys it a lot. Her coach is encouraging (not pushing, in fairness) her to compete so she wanted to see what competition was like. She's already athletic, fit and very strong so she mainly just needs to focus on learning and improving technique in order to be able to compete. Her natural preference is towards Light contact, as she prefers to 'keep going' after being hit during sparring at her club, however seeing the fights up close now she thinks she may start with the point fighting to get some experience first. Would this be the most suitable approach or should she focus on the light contact style from the start rather than switching between the two? While there are obvious similarities, it looks to be two completely different approaches to me and you could be very good at one yet poor at the other depending on your strengths.

Very good observation in relation to the differences between light contact and points. The two are very different. They operate different tactics and different techniques are used. Points is very linear, as in it is all straight line attack and defence. They also use hand techniques that don't cross over to light contact, such as swiping and hitting on the back of the head. Light contact on the other hand has different tactics, a good light contact fighters will break centre line and try hold the centre making the use of angles not seen in points. It has a different array of techniques with all of the techniques from amateur boxing being allowed. With an influx of Taekwon-Do fighters into WAKO over the recent years, light contact has become famous for its lead leg tactics and counter kicking.

So my advice would be, if your wife trains light and she prefers it, then she should compete at light. Ideally she should get a few local tournaments in before the Irish Open next year. What club is she training with?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass that on to her. I don't think she intends to try and compete in the Irish Open next year as we'd expect she'd lack the experience to compete at that level. The talk is that her coach may look to find her a novice match-up at a future local tournament (ie someone from another club at a similar enough level who isn't yet ready for proper competition) She's happy to take her time with it, but just wanted to see what true competition was like when she had the chance.

I hope you don't mind, but I prefer not to mention which club she is with so as to protect her anonymity. I fully appreciate you were hoping to give some feedback about the club or other clubs in the area if you had knowledge of them, but that won't be necessary at the moment, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass that on to her. I don't think she intends to try and compete in the Irish Open next year as we'd expect she'd lack the experience to compete at that level. The talk is that her coach may look to find her a novice match-up at a future local tournament (ie someone from another club at a similar enough level who isn't yet ready for proper competition) She's happy to take her time with it, but just wanted to see what true competition was like when she had the chance.

I hope you don't mind, but I prefer not to mention which club she is with so as to protect her anonymity. I fully appreciate you were hoping to give some feedback about the club or other clubs in the area if you had knowledge of them, but that won't be necessary at the moment, thanks.

Not at all and no worries. I'm involved with the light contact team at a national/international level so I was just being nosey :p

Best of luck with it in the future :)

Advertisement