Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No refund for families who have paid water charges

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

You literally just said that the initial allowances would result in the fees not passing the WFD.

So... what are you talking about exactly?

WFD = Polluter pays.

WFD = User supposedly directly responsible for the costs associated with their usage.

Initial allowance = first person in any house (possibly the only person) does not pay anything directly

What part of that are you having problems with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

My point is that those who are claiming (rightly or wrongly) that the WFD requires full cost recoup now were saying nothing when IW wasn't full polluter cost recoup, and are merely being opportunist and jumping on the latest of a series of unsubstantiated twists in order to defend their favourite quango.
    That's also not correct. Commission has been quite clear that recoupment can from various sources. It's not 100% recoupment of domestic from domestic; 100% of commercial from commercial; etc.
    FS confused "polluter pays" with "self-sustaining", and while one implemented fully implies the other, they're not the same thing and it's disingenuous as dismissive to imply that someone cannot make the distinction.
    I said nothing of the sort actually.
    But I guess people wouldn't need lawyers of these things weren't written vaguely so "legal opinion" could supersede facts and - in many cases - put someone off seeing justice done (a regular DOB tactic)
    I won't even start to try to understand what this means...

WFD = Polluter pays.

WFD = User supposedly directly responsible for the costs associated with their usage.

Initial allowance = first person in any house (possibly the only person) does not pay anything directly

Sigh. You haven't read the WFD have you? Be honest.

I said nothing of the sort actually.

You did actually. You seemed incapable of correctly reading the point I made and you actually claimed that I was referring to one when I referred to the other.

You did actually. You seemed incapable of correctly reading the point I made and you actually claimed that I was referring to one when I referred to the other.
    I've quoted and linked your post 3 times now. You have no evidence to support your "counter-argument".

• Advertisement

I have. And I disagree. However that is the claim being made by the pros. Hence the "supposedly". Take it up with them.

That's also not correct. Commission has been quite clear that recoupment can from various sources. It's not 100% recoupment of domestic from domestic; 100% of commercial from commercial; etc.

Right.

So only charging actual wasters would cover the WFD ? No general bills for everyone required ? Glad we agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Right.

So only charging actual wasters would cover the WFD ? No general bills for everyone required ? Glad we agree.

Not too sure? Polluters pays means all users I would assume?

you are not gladrags, and your questions don't answer the questions asked of him nor have anything whatsoever to do with what we were talking about.

Redbishop wrote: »
    Not too sure? Polluters pays means all users I would assume?

Hence the question marks.

That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of, particularly when that's what pros are using to dictate that we have to put up with IW because of the WFD.

I'm not going to claim to know, as as far as I can see it's wide open to interpretation, but IW, FG, or even FF if they try to use it as an excuse to renege, hiding behind it as an irrefutable fact when it's merely an opinion isn't acceptable to me.

• Advertisement

Hence the question marks.

That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of, particularly when that's what pros are using to dictate that we have to put up with IW because of the WFD.

I'm not going to claim to know, as as far as I can see it's wide open to interpretation, but IW, FG, or even FF if they try to use it as an excuse to renege, hiding behind it as an irrefutable fact when it's merely an opinion isn't acceptable to me.

Ok, but unless there is a case brought then you have to base your decisions on legal opinion of what needs or not to be implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mine would be that they were well aware that they wouldn't have a majority or even sufficient influence.

Yours is wrong - they plan all sorts of stuff in much stronger language which would only be possible with a Labour-led Government, which the manifesto states is the objective.

As you would know if you had ever read it. But please, do continue to post your guesses based on nothing at all.

Yours is wrong - they plan all sorts of stuff in much stronger language which would only be possible with a Labour-led Government, which the manifesto states is the objective.

As you would know if you had ever read it. But please, do continue to post your guesses based on nothing at all.

Stronger language = rule out power "sharing" with FG, as we've seen.

I stand over my personal opinion / assessment that it was at least a factor.

Unless you can provide proof that yours is less of an opinion, by linking to where Labour discussed what you suggested and decided to phrase it based on that ?

Ok, but unless there is a case brought then you have to base your decisions on legal opinion of what needs or not to be implemented.

In my professional experience tenders have to get 3 quotes to ensure there is zero bias and shenanigans. If and when I see 3 unbiased sources advising same - and not vague "could", but actual warnings - I'll consider whether they override the advice to the contrary.

Likewise I'll factor in any agenda that Willie might have when considering how much weight to put behind his.

It's what people who want the facts do.

Right.

I'm fed up having this discussion with you if you're going to continue to be obtuse with regard to this point. It has passed devil's advocate now and is bordering on something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

That doesn't internalise costs.
    Internalising the costs means that the cost is borne specifically by whatever entity creates the cost.

Perhaps you'd like some time to confer. And clarify.

I stand over my personal opinion / assessment that it was at least a factor.

Unless you can provide proof that yours is less of an opinion, by linking to where Labour discussed what you suggested and decided to phrase it based on that ?

Guesses and opinions can be right or wrong. I state that my opinion is a guess because I know I cannot prove it is true.

Your guess is wrong, as a read of the manifesto I linked earlier shows, not that you care. The manifesto includes things which Labour could never do except in a Labour led Government, like:

Labour’s fiscal strategy provides for a €500 million Jobs Fund to finance a series of pro-jobs initiatives that involve elements of current expenditure.

So we know for a fact that they did not avoid putting things in the manifesto because they were aware they wouldn't have a majority or influence.

They had some other reason for that weak statement about water charging.

I'm fed up having this discussion with you if you're going to continue to be obtuse with regard to this point. It has passed devil's advocate now and is bordering on something else.

On the contrary. I posted earlier and you didn't discuss any of the points and merely made a cheap and false assumption re my not reading the WFD:
    WFD = Polluter pays.

If you want to discuss, fine. If you don't, equally fine.

Your statement was
    Commission has been quite clear that recoupment can from various sources. It's not 100% recoupment of domestic from domestic; 100% of commercial from commercial; etc.

....which should debunk quite a few pro claims.

Upthread, you were claiming that politicians broke promises, and shouldn't promise anything they can't deliver.

Now you are saying Labour carefully avoided promising anything on Water charges because they had a mind to negotiations with FG.

Wasn't that exactly what you wanted earlier?

Great job, Labour!

Upthread, you were claiming that politicians broke promises, and shouldn't promise anything they can't deliver.

Now you are saying Labour carefully avoided promising anything on Water charges because they had a mind to negotiations with FG.

Wasn't that exactly what you wanted earlier?

Great job, Labour!

Errr.....
    I was thinking more of the bigger and more important promises of honesty, integrity and transparency, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Errr.....

Sorry, I should have said "Great job on Irish Water and Water charges, the subject of this feckin thread, Labour!"

Sorry, I should have said "Great job on Irish Water and Water charges, the subject of this feckin thread, Labour!"

Irish Water = "honesty", "transparency", "integrity" ?

Noonan having to be asked 18 times about the Siteserv deal ?

Guillotined, rushed legislation ?

Kelly lying about a link between the grant and paying bills ?

Crony appointments of known wasters ?

Seriously ?

If you believe anything to do with IW involves even ONE of those three words then I'm at a loss for words.

If you believe anything to do with IW involves even ONE of those three words then I'm at a loss for words.

I'll believe that when I see it.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Care to comment on the points raised ? I said "if you believe", and you haven't indicated yet whether or not you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Stay on topic please, which is Irish Water, not Siteserve, guillotined legislation and other failings of the last Government.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

Stay on topic please, which is Irish Water, not Siteserve, guillotined legislation and other failings of the last Government.

The Irish Water legislation was what was guillotined, though - surely that's relevant ?

Not arguing the point, just wondering where the dividing line lies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Guillotine is a separate issue, keep it to IW, there's plenty to discuss about it. Any questions you can pm me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Care to comment on the points raised ? I said "if you believe", and you haven't indicated yet whether or not you do.

According to you, Labour carefully avoided promises on water charges in their 2011 manifesto because they were not sure they could deliver on them.

That was honest, transparent and showed integrity vs. promising no water charges and then breaking their promise, as various people have alleged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Perhaps you'd like some time to confer. And clarify.

You do realise that you've quoted two different posters don't you? We are allowed to have different opinions.

Regardless, myself and FreudianSlippers state things that are broadly in line I believe. Some cost has to borne in the form water charges. The entire cost cannot be covered by general taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

You do realise that you've quoted two different posters don't you? We are allowed to have different opinions.

We're all allowed different opinions, but in the instance I've provided, someone's opinion is wrong.

Unless both are right.

Which is it?

Regardless, myself and FreudianSlippers state things that are broadly in line I believe. Some cost has to borne in the form water charges. The entire cost cannot be covered by general taxation.

Nor should it be, if some domestic users are wasting or if some commercial users are making profits without contributing.

But that doesn't answer the question of what ratio / "polluter pays" / whatever other solution would satisfy the WFD.

There's no problem if someone says WFD says X but we're going X+1 because the country needs money, or because we need to take the burden off householders who are currently paying both bills and via LPT / LGF.

But charging both and hiding behind the WFD should not be tolerated.

Nor should it be, if some domestic users are wasting or if some commercial users are making profits without contributing.

But that doesn't answer the question of what ratio / "polluter pays" / whatever other solution would satisfy the WFD.

There's no problem if someone says WFD says X but we're going X+1 because the country needs money, or because we need to take the burden off householders who are currently paying both bills and via LPT / LGF.

But charging both and hiding behind the WFD should not be tolerated.

But not all households are contributing the same via either mentioned or other tax contribution measures.
    In fact it is quite possible that the less contributory households are paying the least while using the most water.
    Now I ve no gripe about tax bands and contributions but at least metered charging levels the playing field after subvention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

If your son tells you "I will go to school tomorrow", but in between saying it and the following morning he gets a terrible cold, would you force him to go to school or would you keep him home because it was the right thing to do?

Would you forever hold it against him that he was unable to go to school if he did in fact stay at home? Remember, he had told you "I will go to school tomorrow" but he didn't!

Please do actually answer the questions, they're not rhetorical.

Cannot see the rationale behind your "son" analogy.

We are talking about governments past and present,who are elected based on clear commitments,or if you wish promises,to the electorate.

They continually renague on these commitments,
    some of which are fundamental to all,or sections of the electorate,and affect their livliehoods.

BTW,you responded to a post that was not directed towards you.

Which you are entitled to do,as is everyone else.

gladrags wrote: »
    Cannot see the rationale behind your "son" analogy.

We are talking about governments past and present,who are elected based on clear commitments,or if you wish promises,to the electorate.

They continually renague on these commitments,
    some of which are fundamental to all,or sections of the electorate,and affect their livliehoods.

BTW,you responded to a post that was not directed towards you.

Which you are entitled to do,as is everyone else.
    Please do actually answer the questions, they're not rhetorical.

The rationale is that things change, and binding people to 'promises' they've made before the dynamics have adjusted is not normal in real life. In fact it's bizarre.

JK doesn't wish to have a discussion. His only wish is to derail the thread, as he has attempted with others.

• Advertisement

But not all households are contributing the same via either mentioned or other tax contribution measures.
    In fact it is quite possible that the less contributory households are paying the least while using the most water.
    Now I ve no gripe about tax bands and contributions but at least metered charging levels the playing field after subvention.

Interesting assertion. A one-adult household has only one income so contributes less in income tax but forks out the same LPT as a two-adult home.

They also, however use less water, not more.

So I'm expected to be subsidising others even more since IW arrived.

No solution is perfect but for some reason all solutions seem to hit the squeezed middle even more. And in IW's case for zero gain, as the cost/benefit analysis has never been given, other than taking off the books and making people pay the extra a different way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

The rationale is that things change, and binding people to 'promises' they've made before the dynamics have adjusted is not normal in real life. In fact it's bizarre.

It's really obvious when a party (or candidate) has a clear set of guiding principles - core values in other words. They will take a hit rather than compromise on those values.

If circumstances change and a party changes a policy, the changes should be in line with the core values of that party. In a coalition it's trickier, but you would expect the component parties to compromise in a way that gives most priority to whichever of their principles are most important.

Populist parties like FF have a core value which is "get elected". And that's pretty much it. They are far most likely to jump from one position to another as they chase whatever the current poll says is going to win them votes.
    The flip-flopping by FF on water is a good indicator that water charges are itself is of no importance to them at all. Anyone expecting them to stick to any stated position on water is deluded.

Interesting assertion. A one-adult household has only one income so contributes less in income tax but forks out the same LPT as a two-adult home.

They also, however use less water, not more.

So I'm expected to be subsidising others even more since IW arrived.

No solution is perfect but for some reason all solutions seem to hit the squeezed middle even more. And in IW's case for zero gain, as the cost/benefit analysis has never been given, other than taking off the books and making people pay the extra a different way.

I don't assert, I say its possible.
    You assert in bold.
    Need not be true in all cases.

I don't assert, I say its possible.
    You assert in bold.
    Need not be true in all cases.

Fair point. You asserted that it was quite possible; it's also therefore quite possible that they are not contributing less and/or not consuming more, as it is - as you say - not true in all cases.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Ok, ok, the thread topic is on refunds if IW is abolished. This thread has veered off topic into other aspects of IW e.g. should it be paid by general taxation or not. People can start new threads about those issues but we are not going to have a free for all megamerge type thread.

So I'll lock this thread but may reopen in the event that the issue of refunds in the event IW is abolished comes back into the news.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement