Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building in Smithfield shows celtic tiger is back in town.

Options
  • 02-03-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

The new building in Smithfield. by the luas stop. The red brick one. the red brick one with the cheap aluminium windows. the one with the low profile, low cost insulation going in. the red bricked aluminium windowed poorly insulated,built by the lowest cost builder one. the red bricked aluminium windowed poorly insulated, lowest cost builder one that looks like something that would be thrown up by someone out in bray at the height of the celtic tiger and have starter one bed flats in it for as little as €435,000 that don't actually have windows in them because its all the rage in Denmark right now and aesthetically pleasing. you know the one? that one?

i cant believe it. I cant believe what i'm looking at. in smithfield. The sheer audacity of someone to come up with that pile of crap, call it a building that is sympathetic to the area and not only get planning permission but to actually go ahead and build something so in line with the crap we spewed out during the recession is just shambolic. It is genuinely like we learned nothing. about 10 lads going in there this morning with breakfast rolls from spar and the mirror under their arm.another godless, soulless building going up in an area that should have a planning authority sympathetic to the areas needs and historical value.

Another pile of cow dung! someone needs to give the lad that works in the planning department a book on gaudi or at least a dermot bannon architechture book or something. Its like he went to the college for sticklebrick or lego and decided this is how all things should look. I'm getting damn sick of the crap that comes out of this place.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm getting damn sick of the crap that comes out of this place.
    In which case, make submissions to the Planning Department before the deadline for observations has passed on any proposed development you don't like the look of. That might change things, whereas posting to Boards about a nearly-finished building probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

It wasnt in my local area and i wasnt aware of the building at the time but there are many businesses and residents in that area that could have put in a submission. If that was being built around me, i sure as hell would have put in some form of opposition. Its worse than an eyesore. the building behind it was selling itself on being a glass fronted bulding drawing in loads of light and being a very open space. now it is just another empty office building down a little narrow sidestreet behind an ugly red brick monstrosity.

Im looking forward to seeing what the plans are for the triangular sink hole on the far side of it that is about 3/4 acres. I would love to know what was supposed to go in there or if it is held up for cross city works etc... (is that kevin street?)

Hogzy wrote: »
    Any pictures?

only of myself and the dog.

only of myself and the dog.

Sure throw them up and ill take a look

• Advertisement

Sure throw them up and ill take a look

one of us may not be wearing clothes....

And your complaining about the look of the building??? :eek:

Throw on some pants!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

So long as the dog has one of these, we don't care.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5601901/il_570xN.109453881.jpg

Red Kev wrote: »
    So long as the dog has one of these, we don't care.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5601901/il_570xN.109453881.jpg

please tell me thats not a thing now??????????????????????????????????

there are many businesses and residents in that area that could have put in a submission.
    Cinnamon did, Generator did, even An Taisc did. Nobody mentioned Gaudí, though.
    Im looking forward to seeing what the plans are for the triangular sink hole on the far side of it that is about 3/4 acres. I would love to know what was supposed to go in there
    Latest is that a new family courts building will go there but I don't think there's been anything more specific announced in the year and a bit since that was in the news.

• Advertisement

how many family courts does one country need exactly?
    bloody hell!!!!

More than fit safely into Dolphin House, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The new building in Smithfield. by the luas stop. The red brick one. the red brick one with the cheap aluminium windows. the one with the low profile, low cost insulation going in. the red bricked aluminium windowed poorly insulated,built by the lowest cost builder one. the red bricked aluminium windowed poorly insulated, lowest cost builder one that looks like something that would be thrown up by someone out in bray at the height of the celtic tiger and have starter one bed flats in it for as little as €435,000 that don't actually have windows in them because its all the rage in Denmark right now and aesthetically pleasing. you know the one? that one?

i cant believe it. I cant believe what i'm looking at. in smithfield. The sheer audacity of someone to come up with that pile of crap, call it a building that is sympathetic to the area and not only get planning permission but to actually go ahead and build something so in line with the crap we spewed out during the recession is just shambolic. It is genuinely like we learned nothing. about 10 lads going in there this morning with breakfast rolls from spar and the mirror under their arm.another godless, soulless building going up in an area that should have a planning authority sympathetic to the areas needs and historical value.

Another pile of cow dung! someone needs to give the lad that works in the planning department a book on gaudi or at least a dermot bannon architechture book or something. Its like he went to the college for sticklebrick or lego and decided this is how all things should look. I'm getting damn sick of the crap that comes out of this place.

Is it apartments?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's actually pretty well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

.............. one that looks like something that would be thrown up by someone out in bray at the height of the celtic tiger a.............................. to actually go ahead and build something so in line with the crap we spewed out during the recession i

Which is it? Your rant makes no sense.

wyndham wrote: »
    Which is it? Your rant makes no sense.

During the boom. I'm allowed ranting errors. With the tone of the thread, I'm sure you had an iota of when I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Aluminum windows are a small fortune. If he was a cowboy builder like you imply he would have used PVC or even wood. Aluminum windows are 2/3 times the cost of PVC. Pretty much all insulation in Ireland comes from a handful of factories. They are sold unstamped slightly cheaper, it doesnt mean the quality is inferior. All apartment blocks in DCC have that rough cheap red brick look. I guess it is what apartment people like in apartments.

DCC has built some horrific housing in Smithfield. They have their generic 3 storey social housing blocks across the square from the Mater Private clinic. Likewise on Queen St, they have built some horrific 2/3 apartment/house combination. DCC and not private developers have made Smithfield look cheap.

Do you even know the history of Smithfield? It was a run down fruitmarket until about 10/15 years ago. There was literally just abandonded warehouses/ car dealerships. It was a dump and pretty similar to the IFSC before it was built.

Smithfield has always been a dump and commercial district. It has never been a residential district. Look at the amount of Disterallriers that used to be in area.

wyndham wrote: »
    Is it apartments?
    With retail on the ground floor. Pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Meanwhile there are still empty units galore on the square and on Queen Street :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I doubt there are empty residential units to be had in Smithfield. The empty business units are also filling up. New retaurant going in and a dentist clinic. Not much left to fill after that.

• Advertisement

I'd say Dublin's need for new apartments outweighs the :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Meanwhile there are still empty units galore on the square and on Queen Street :rolleyes:

But yet they're turfing out the artists in Block T to revamp that and sell it off for commercial office space or something.

Time for the artists to be moved out to bluebell and crumlin to bring their merry brand of hipster regeneration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I don't get the hatred for this building. Smithfield 15 years ago was a dive and used mainly for trading cattle/horses. I don't see anything "celtic tiger -ish" about this new building and I'm actually happy there's work being done there.

There's 3 new coffee shops just after opening, there's a burrito bar, dentist and another restaurant in the pipeline as well. It's all coming up Smithfield.

Loving Smithfield at the minute, hope business continue to open at pace. I went to school her in the 1990's it was desperate. Now 1000X better so I'm not too fussed about aluminium windows.

That building did ruin plans for a cycle lane on the quays but sure ya can't have it all.

Where are people getting the info on new restaurants opening in Smithfield? Id be curious to find out more.

Where are people getting the info on new restaurants opening in Smithfield? Id be curious to find out more.

Builders are fitting out the unit opposite Oscars at the min. There's signs for a dentist up on the next unit down. 3 new cafes opened in the past few weeks. One on Haymarket st, one in the glasshouse beside cinemon and one beside the vintage clothes shop beside the old car garrage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

How does OP know about the quality of insulation that was put in?

OP seems to know nothing - doesn't even seem to realise the building isn't "red brick" :confused:
    My only complaint about the building is that it's like 3-4 floors too short and as a result looks squat and out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

From my side it's all just local gossip from talking to business owners in the area.

• Advertisement

the building behind it was selling itself on being a glass fronted bulding drawing in loads of light and being a very open space. now it is just another empty office building down a little narrow sidestreet behind an ugly red brick monstrosity.

The Glass house is north facing and permanently in the shade anyway.

Advertisement