Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building in Smithfield shows celtic tiger is back in town.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

One of the bigger issues is that we don't tend to see cities as shared space in the same way continental countries typically do.

Cork City actually makes more use of its (actually quite limited) open spaces like wide parts of streets and so on.

Dublin has an issue that every time they try to do anything nice in the city centre it becomes junkie hangout space - compare Cork and Dublin boardwalk areas and you'll see what I mean. One is full of people chilling and having coffees and lunch, the other is full of junkies.

D1 and D7 need to basically be taken in hand and "recolonised" as living, breathing, functioning urban spaces. That hasn't been happening.

I mean take the area around O'Connell street. Architecturally it's lovely, but it's completely rundown and there's basically nothing attractive to do there.

Parnell Street is completely destroyed with modern ugly buildings.

There's a long list of problems and they need to be sorted out.

There are good examples of parks in Dublin - Herbert Parkmand Marley Park spring to mind but, we need to get past the notion that parks are just for old people to sit and observe the ducks in... They need to be busy, active places ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The biggest enclosed park within a city in the world is nestled in Dublin 7 (and to a lesser extent Dublin 15 - but that just shows its size). Dublin 7 also houses Smithfield and Grangegorman... so can we stop the nonsense about Dublin 7 being devoid of parks?

As for Dublin 1, I am all for a serious urban regeneration project, but if you want to see more urban parks (as you describe) per square km, then you need to accept a significant increase in building heights and a move towards up-market residential developments in these areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The biggest enclosed park within a city in the world is nestled in Dublin 7 (and to a lesser extent Dublin 15 - but that just shows its size). Dublin 7 also houses Smithfield and Grangegorman... so can we stop the nonsense about Dublin 7 being devoid of parks?

As for Dublin 1, I am all for a serious urban regeneration project, but if you want to see more urban parks (as you describe) per square km, then you need to accept a significant increase in building heights and a move towards up-market residential developments in these areas.

*Putting on my pedantic hat"

Phoenix park is actually Dublin 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northside,_Dublin

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    *Putting on my pedantic hat"

Phoenix park is actually Dublin 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northside,_Dublin
    Why I said "nestled in" rather than just "in" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't get the hatred for this building. Smithfield 15 years ago was a dive and used mainly for trading cattle/horses. I don't see anything "celtic tiger -ish" about this new building and I'm actually happy there's work being done there.

There's 3 new coffee shops just after opening, there's a burrito bar, dentist and another restaurant in the pipeline as well. It's all coming up Smithfield.

I have no problem with what people build as long as the government stop trying to screw them out of existence with excessive energy rating, unbalanced rent controls that more resemble anti-rent/anti-construction measures, and do a proper job regulating the financial institutions.

On the other hand, I would like to see a suspension bridge over Dublin bay to link north and south traffic and alleviate congestion (Dun Laoghaire to Dublin Port). DART underground needs to happen sooner or later also I feel. That's the kind of construction the city actually needs. A rail link to the airport wouldn't hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This building is pretty much finished now. I like it apart from the odd decision to use red brick for the ground floor when the rest of the building is yellow brick. Also it looks like most if not all of the ground floor is intended to be a coffee shop!? Seems a bit unwise considering there are two coffee shops literally across the street from it and another two within 50 yards…

The apartments themselves are all at least 80sqm according to this -

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/smithfield/oxmanstown-lofts-smithfield-dublin-1198073/

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

I see Cinnemon have been putting their table right outside the front door of it every chance they get weather permitting. It'll probably be a starbucks or costa going in there. Any job creation is good job creation i guess. hope the competition wont affect the others too much.

We are becoming a nation of crap coffee shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I see Cinnemon have been putting their table right outside the front door of it every chance they get weather permitting. It'll probably be a starbucks or costa going in there. Any job creation is good job creation i guess. hope the competition wont affect the others too much.

Urbanity's coffee is sublime!

I dont see how planning would be granted for yet another coffee shop in Smithfield Square. Oscars, Third Space, Cinnamon, Urbanity and two others I cant recall the name of all come in under the Cafe umbrella term. The square is saturated!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I wish those apartments were a bit more affordable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

This building is pretty much finished now. I like it apart from the odd decision to use red brick for the ground floor when the rest of the building is yellow brick. Also it looks like most if not all of the ground floor is intended to be a coffee shop!? Seems a bit unwise considering there are two coffee shops literally across the street from it and another two within 50 yards…

The apartments themselves are all at least 80sqm according to this -

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/smithfield/oxmanstown-lofts-smithfield-dublin-1198073/

Pretty baller cribs but who can afford to and who would want to buy a 400k apartment in Smithfield? And the management fees would probably be 2k a year on those places. I wonder who they're targeting as buyers. If I was going to spend that much I'd buy a house in the suburbs for the same price, without having junkies and kids from the Youth Courts outside my gaf every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Pretty baller cribs but who can afford to and who would want to buy a 400k apartment in Smithfield? And the management fees would probably be 2k a year on those places. I wonder who they're targeting as buyers. If I was going to spend that much I'd buy a house in the suburbs for the same price, without having junkies and kids from the Youth Courts outside my gaf every day.

Investors will buy them and rent them out for €1,800pm. They'll get their entire investment back over about 15 years in rent and then re-sell it for twice the price in 2031.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I live in smithfield and actually like the new apartments. Prob not the greatest architectural success in dublin but defo not the worst. Smithfield has come on hugely in the last few years. Anywhere that has third space, Oscars and the lighthouse in the same area is doing well. Can't understand why another coffee shop allowed though??? There will be 7 coffee shops between cinnamon and third space when this opens...

ha, I forgot about Third Space. So that makes five coffee places within about 50 yards of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

12Phase wrote: »
    Getting to Smithfield on foot is a very short, but horrible walk through some pretty scary streets. I know I don't feel comfortable once I get past Caple Street. That whole area around the Four Courts is a total kip.

When you head from Smithfield to Manor Street (which is nice) you have to go through yet more run down, semi-derelict streets e.g. North King Street.

Surprised by this. This is my walking route every day and it's totally grand. Most of it is the fruit and flower market!

ha, I forgot about Third Space. So that makes five coffee places within about 50 yards of it.

There are 15 places on Smithfield Square or around it doing coffee now! It's crazy. Three opened in about a week although some of them are nice to be fair. I feel bad for Cinnamon. They had a nice little square there and next thing this massive building about 5 feet from them springs up. Suppose new apartments are needed. Not sure why they are called Oxmanstown Lofts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

And at the other end of D7 choice is extremely limited, For example around Hanlons corner there is only the little cafe in the Park shopping centre.

Hogzy wrote: »
    [...] and two others I cant recall the name of all come in under the Cafe umbrella term. [...]
    ... rain something? Cloud Picker... Next door to the vintage clothes place with the mannequin that has the blonde wig.

Rantan wrote: »
    I live in smithfield and actually like the new apartments. Prob not the greatest architectural success in dublin but defo not the worst. Smithfield has come on hugely in the last few years. Anywhere that has third space, Oscars and the lighthouse in the same area is doing well. Can't understand why another coffee shop allowed though??? There will be 7 coffee shops between cinnamon and third space when this opens...
    I had a look at them again this morning in their near-finished forum an I stand by my opinion that the building is totally out of proportion. It's far too 'squat' and should have been at least another 2 floors on the main building (not set-back).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was in Smithfield for the first time in years on Friday. Really lovely looking space there. Didn't see anything that popped out to me as out of place.

I had a look at them again this morning in their near-finished forum an I stand by my opinion that the building is totally out of proportion. It's far too 'squat' and should have been at least another 2 floors on the main building (not set-back).
    That's true of most buildings in the city to be fair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Celtic Tiger indeed!
    Just fund out today that all apartments sold out on launch weekend and within36 hours.

Ground floor retail/café sold the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

kceire wrote: »
    Celtic Tiger indeed!
    Just fund out today that all apartments sold out on launch weekend and within36 hours.

Thats not surprising to be honest given the demand for housing in Dublin at the moment. Although id be surprised if these were all sold individually. Id say most were sold in blocks to buyers as investment opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

kceire wrote: »
    Ground floor retail/café sold the following day.

I heard (from the guys in Urbanity today) that it was sold this week to Costa. They seemed to have solid information directly from the Dublin Loft Company. The owner of Urbanity seemed to think that it'd be a positive for them and that it would bring more people to that end of Smithfield. I doubt that the grumpy shïte in Cinnamon will see it that way!

I heard (from the guys in Urbanity today) that it was sold this week to Costa. They seemed to have solid information directly from the Dublin Loft Company. The owner of Urbanity seemed to think that it'd be a positive for them and that it would bring more people to that end of Smithfield. I doubt that the grumpy shïte in Cinnamon will see it that way!
    Jaysus, so we'll have Cinnamon, Urbanity, Costa, Third Space, Proper Order and that tiny place next to the vintage clothes shop, all within a couple of yards of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Jaysus, so we'll have Cinnamon, Urbanity, Costa, Third Space, Proper Order and that tiny place next to the vintage clothes shop, all within a couple of yards of each other!

Tiny place is Provender and Family. You also have:

The Kiosk place at LUAS stop
    Lighthouse cinema
    Bel Cibo
    Oscars
    Maldron (sign outside now about coffee)
    Christophes
    Sparks Cafe
    Generator
    Insomnia in Fresh
    The Italian shop on north King street

If you want a coffee, go to Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Don't forget the coffee and donut place at the luas stop and also Insomnia in Fresh!

Edit: beat me to it budgemook haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thats not surprising to be honest given the demand for housing in Dublin at the moment. Although id be surprised if these were all sold individually. Id say most were sold in blocks to buyers as investment opportunities.

I was told that only 2 units were bought by the same person. The rest seemed to be owner occupiers.
    All,due for completion next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Nah. The yield would be too low on them. You can buy a house in Smithfield in 3 units ( it is a former pre-63, that is recently renovated and actually nice) with a yield of 12.5% for the same price. I imagine you would be lucky to get 5/6% yield with one of these apartments.

Investors are buying the likes of Cabra Park or NCR, where you can get 3/4 units for the same price as one of these apartments. There is no management fees either. Plus the more units you have, the lower your risk ie having one non-paying tenant in a block of 4 apartments is less of an issue, than having a non-paying tenant in your only apartment. Plus the likes of NCR and Cabra Park will be gentrified slowly. You wont get the same capital appreciation in an already trendy neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

budgemook wrote: »
    If you want a coffee, go to Smithfield.

There are worse things it could be known for, TBF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    There are worse things it could be known for, TBF.

New slogan:

"Smithfield: less horse fair shootings, more cappuccinos brewing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Do horse fairs still happen on the square?

Advertisement