Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta insurance saga - unable to get insurance

Options
  • 02-03-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

I had a van policy with the dreaded Setanta years ago. My wife was named on the policy and had an accident. Now 5 years later with the Setanta debacle still dragging on, she was thinking of getting insurance in her own name on a car and has been told that she cannot get a quote because of the outstanding claim.

Surely this can't be correct?

What if the Setanta crap drags on another 5 years. She will have been effectively banned from taking out insurance for 10 years?

I know that you can't move to another company if you have an outstanding claim on your current policy, but this was a claim against her, on my van policy which has long since expired, many years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brianb243

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I had a van policy with the dreaded Setanta years ago. My wife was named on the policy and had an accident. Now 5 years later with the Setanta debacle still dragging on, she was thinking of getting insurance in her own name on a car and has been told that she cannot get a quote because of the outstanding claim.

Surely this can't be correct?

What if the Setanta crap drags on another 5 years. She will have been effectively banned from taking out insurance for 10 years?

I know that you can't move to another company if you have an outstanding claim on your current policy, but this was a claim against her, on my van policy which has long since expired, many years ago.
    Hi finding myself in same situation as you now. Did you have any luck or how did you get around it. My claim is open since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Contact a good broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brianb243

ravima wrote: »
    Contact a good broker.
    Any recommendations. They don't want to touch me because of open claim. Am with Britton Insurance brokers. Find them useless. Any help appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

brianb243 wrote: »
    Hi finding myself in same situation as you now. Did you have any luck or how did you get around it. My claim is open since 2011.

She is still just named on my policy.

Advertisement