Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Dead - Upgrade Needed - But What

Options
  • 02-03-2016 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Lightning strike through the cable modem last night and the PC won't boot this morning :( . To say I'm heart broken is an understatement .

But where do I even start to try and find out whats dead and whats not ?

Do I go and buy and PSU first and take it from there ? or is there any other way to find out whats gone without buying everything one by one .

Also , does anyone know of an easy diamond heist that I could get in on to pay for this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Coax to modem to ethernet to NIC. So assuming its onboard it'll be the motherboard dead for sure. If that instantly failed then everything else could be ok.

Visual inspection is unlikely to reveal too much so it'll be case of replace and test. If you could borrow an appropriate mobo you could breadboard the remaining components to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

ED E wrote: »
    Coax to modem to ethernet to NIC. So assuming its onboard it'll be the motherboard dead for sure. If that instantly failed then everything else could be ok.

Visual inspection is unlikely to reveal too much so it'll be case of replace and test. If you could borrow an appropriate mobo you could breadboard the remaining components to test.

Yup , it's onboard .

The PC died immediately . When I tried it later on , after we got over the shock , the power button on the PC did nothing but when I pressed the button on the back of the PSU and kept it held in it did seem like the PC was booting up but there was nothing on the screen . There is a green flashing power led on the motherboard . Now when I try the button on the back of the PSU nothing happens , the PSU just clicks .

Also I don't know anyone around with a similar system that I could use to test my parts , and it's the AMD FX 8350 so there aren't many of them around I'd say .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

As ED E says it's more than likely the motherboard is gone, if it was connected via Ethernet cable during the lightning strike.
    CPU's are pretty hardy these days so that may be OK, likewise it's possible the RAM is OK too as the motherboard would have taken the brunt of the damage before getting to them I'd imagine.

I see there is a new Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard on Adverts for €50;
    http://www.adverts.ie/motherboards/new-gigabyte-ga-78lmt-usb3-rev-6-0-am3-micro-atx-amd-motherboard/9918550

jonski wrote: »
    Yup , it's onboard .

The PC died immediately . When I tried it later on , after we got over the shock , the power button on the PC did nothing but when I pressed the button on the back of the PSU and kept it held in it did seem like the PC was booting up but there was nothing on the screen . There is a green flashing power led on the motherboard . Now when I try the button on the back of the PSU nothing happens , the PSU just clicks .

There's a button not a switch on your PSU?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote:
    There's a button not a switch on your PSU?

Yup , it's an 750 w PSU from a dell xps

Ahh, from the look of it its a trip/reset switch, so what you're probably hearing is the protection circuit cutting in when you press it as the board is now fried and shorting out.

Just to update this , I bought a new ( same one as I had ) motherboard from Amazon that took ages to get here . I replaced it and everything else worked fine . I had to reactivate Win 10 but that wasn't a problem .

Advertisement