Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delonghi Esam 4200 Dry vs Oily coffee beans.

• 02-03-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just bought a Delonghi Esam 4200 bean to cup machine - currently in transit to me.

Many of the 4200 reviews I've read have said that you should only use "dry" coffee beans in this machine, rather than "oily" beans. As a first time user of coffee beans - can someone explain the difference between the two types of bean and more importantly how I can tell the difference when I go to buy beans?

Many thanks !

George.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

From what I understand, it's usually the likes of flavoured beans and certain varieties that are oily and visibly look shiny. They tend to leave a gritty residue which can accumulate and cause issues with grinders over time. One of the reasons it particularly matters for integrated machines is because it's difficult to actually get into the grinder unit to brush it out without physically disassembling the machine or taking out the whole brew unit. Most places doing freshly roasted beans won't have this issue though, just something to keep in mind.

I'm not entirely sure but I think that machine has a bypass doser - if you really love your flavoured coffees you might be better off grinding them with a hand grinder and then scooping that into the bypass doser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

moonstomp wrote: »

Many of the 4200 reviews I've read have said that you should only use "dry" coffee beans in this machine, rather than "oily" beans. As a first time user of coffee beans - can someone explain the difference between the two types of bean and more importantly how I can tell the difference when I go to buy beans?

The longer coffee beans are roasted for the more oily they get before they eventually combust! The roast profile descriptions in the link below arent really used in Ireland/Europe but the images should give you a feel for how a different roast profile will affect the bean.
    http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/roasted.pict-guide.php

Most of the Irish roasters wouldn't be roasting to the point of seeing oils on the beans. You'll find most of the 1kg bags of beans on supermarket shelves will be oily and probably have descriptions like espresso roast/bean on them. Avoid those and buy freshly roasted and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonstomp

Thank you both for the replies - really helpful.

Now I just have to get myself some decent beans !

Advertisement