Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2011abc wrote: »
    Not a big 'Spot' or 'Redbreast' fan in general ( at least the ones I can afford- in two figure price range !)

Honestly, If you don't like Greenspot (or it's variants), RB12, Lusteau, etc.
    I wouldn't expect you like the €100-500 range variants either. They are "better" as they aged, but fundamentally they are fairly good examples of Single Pot Still + Sherry cask whiskeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah I like malt first and foremost .Teeling SM ( free sample of all three at 7am at airport!) got me in to this 'world' .Brabazon 1 used be my fave but I reckon JJ Corry Gael 2 is 70% Barry Crockett at 30% of price !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Brian Nation stepping down as master distiller at Midleton Distillery. Master of maturation Kevin O’Gorman will replace him.

Waterford Distillery will be releasing their first two bottles for sale very soon. What's people's opinions on their take on terroir?
    They currently have 72 farms with 28,500 data points per different farm/whisky. Does it make enough difference for the effort required?

I saw one early reviewer who said that the influence of terroir on these two initial releases was impossible to compare as they used different barley types and different barrels for maturation which muddled the impact terroir might have made. The whisky itself got an average review.

I contacted Waterford Distillery to see if they would have smaller samples for comparison but they said they have no plans to release them at this time. I'll try get some but it will be difficult to get a feel for what they are trying to do at 70-80 euro a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    Waterford Distillery will be releasing their first two bottles for sale very soon. What's people's opinions on their take on terroir?
    They currently have 72 farms with 28,500 data points per different farm/whisky. Does it make enough difference for the effort required?

I saw one early reviewer who said that the influence of terroir on these two initial releases was impossible to compare as they used different barley types and different barrels for maturation which muddled the impact terroir might have made. The whisky itself got an average review.

I contacted Waterford Distillery to see if they would have smaller samples for comparison but they said they have no plans to release them at this time. I'll try get some but it will be difficult to get a feel for what they are trying to do at 70-80 euro a bottle.

Its a shame they mixed the barely and the barrels as it would have been totally unique to compare the two different versions of terroir. Makes comparison impossible now. I'll probably buy one of each of the three initial releases anyway to support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Roe & Co back on sale in Supervalue. €30 a bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2011abc wrote: »
    Yeah I like malt first and foremost .Teeling SM ( free sample of all three at 7am at airport!) got me in to this 'world' .Brabazon 1 used be my fave but I reckon JJ Corry Gael 2 is 70% Barry Crockett at 30% of price !!!
    Pot stills are still predominantly malt. Green barley too obvious. But the grain content is typically very low.
    Brabazon is a sherry cask iirc.
    Never tried JJ Corry Gael. But Irish Malts suggests it’s a blend include a small amount of very old sherry cask.

So maybe it’s not the sherry cask then.

Nice delivery this morning. Looking forward to the Laphroaig 25 Years Old Cask Strength especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Nice delivery this morning. Looking forward to the Laphroaig 25 Years Old Cask Strength especially.

Where from?

L mulligans are having an online whiskey festival. You get a cocktail, nine whiskeys, two masterclass sessions with whiskey samples and a festival exclusive single cask whiskey. €70 including postage. I went for method and madness and Bowmore as my two classes.

In these times of isolation, we are delighted to bring you Distilled: an online whiskey festival celebrating coming together virtually to share a dram, attend masterclasses and chat about whiskey with experts and our whiskey community. This festival will be held entirely online. Once you have purchased your ticket, we will post your Festival Kit to you. A list of the countries we can ship to is below. The event will be held on July 18th between 3pm-8pm. Sessions will be recorded and made available should you not be able to attend all of the events.

You will be welcomed with a cocktail from our pals at Bar 1661. Every attendee will receive nine ‘Festival Pours’ of selected whiskey from our favourite distilleries from Ireland and Scotland. Each pour will come with a link to a tasting note presented by the distiller, blender, brand owner or ambassador. Additionally, each ticket holder will attend two masterclasses, one at 4pm and one at 6pm to be selected at the time of ticket purchase. These are live tastings held over Zoom and include previews of new releases, food and whiskey pairing masterclasses and tastings of heritage brands. We will also host three panels on the day:

3pm Drink it or keep it?
    4pm Masterclasses
    5pm Our imagined whiskey past: The invention of ‘authenticity’ in Irish whiskey.
    6pm Masterclasses
    7pm Future of Irish Whiskey

Finally, each attendee will receive a Festival Dream Dram, a specially selected cask strength, single cask whisky exclusive to L. Mulligan. Whiskey Shop.

Details of the Masterclasses are listed below.

4pm Masterclasses
    Hinch Whiskey
    Method and Madness
    Powers
    Glendalough
    Connemara
    Highland Park

6pm Masterclasses
    Greenspot
    Dublin Liberties
    Lambay
    Roe & Co
    Bowmore
    Pearse Lyons

• Advertisement

L mulligans are having an online whiskey festival. You get a cocktail, nine whiskeys, two masterclass sessions with whiskey samples and a festival exclusive single cask whiskey. €70 including postage. I went for method and madness and Bowmore as my two classes.

In these times of isolation, we are delighted to bring you Distilled: an online whiskey festival celebrating coming together virtually to share a dram, attend masterclasses and chat about whiskey with experts and our whiskey community. This festival will be held entirely online. Once you have purchased your ticket, we will post your Festival Kit to you. A list of the countries we can ship to is below. The event will be held on July 18th between 3pm-8pm. Sessions will be recorded and made available should you not be able to attend all of the events.

You will be welcomed with a cocktail from our pals at Bar 1661. Every attendee will receive nine ‘Festival Pours’ of selected whiskey from our favourite distilleries from Ireland and Scotland. Each pour will come with a link to a tasting note presented by the distiller, blender, brand owner or ambassador. Additionally, each ticket holder will attend two masterclasses, one at 4pm and one at 6pm to be selected at the time of ticket purchase. These are live tastings held over Zoom and include previews of new releases, food and whiskey pairing masterclasses and tastings of heritage brands. We will also host three panels on the day:

3pm Drink it or keep it?
    4pm Masterclasses
    5pm Our imagined whiskey past: The invention of ‘authenticity’ in Irish whiskey.
    6pm Masterclasses

Finally, each attendee will receive a Festival Dream Dram, a specially selected cask strength, single cask whisky exclusive to L. Mulligan. Whiskey Shop.

4pm Masterclasses
    Hinch Whiskey
    Method and Madness
    Powers
    Glendalough
    Connemara
    Highland Park

6pm Masterclasses
    Greenspot
    Dublin Liberties
    Lambay
    Roe & Co
    Bowmore
    Pearse Lyons

Where is it on their website? I cant see it in "Events"

Where from?

Masters of Malt. I got them delivered to relatives up North though as they don't deliver to the 26 counties.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where is it on their website? I cant see it in "Events"

Oops forgot the link!

http://distilled.irish

Masters of Malt. I got them delivered to relatives up North though as they don't deliver to the 26 counties.

Thanks. That’s why I was wondering. I am looking for a company now to order larger amount of samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nock13

Plan to try bunnahabhain for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to that, I've heard goods things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L mulligans are having an online whiskey festival.

4pm Masterclasses
    Hinch Whiskey
    Method and Madness
    Powers
    Glendalough
    Connemara
    Highland Park

6pm Masterclasses
    Greenspot
    Dublin Liberties
    Lambay
    Roe & Co
    Bowmore
    Pearse Lyons

Cheers Cazale, I saw your post before I saw the email about it!

Have signed up for Glendalough & Roe Co classes.
    Was a tough call for 4pm slot between Glendalough, Method & Madness and Hinch - haven't tasted any of their ranges before.

I've had a lot of craic at Roe Co events in the past so signed up with them on the strength of that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thanks. That’s why I was wondering. I am looking for a company now to order larger amount of samples.

Dick Macks pub have started selling 50ml samples from their whiskey collection.

https://www.dickmackspub.com/shop/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Saw this today too and some at very good prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm looking to offload a bottle or two.
    Any suggestions as to what FB group to use, I don't fancy some of the auction sites, as they have far too many fees.

Excellent, thanks for the tip! If somebody has more places to recommend to buy whiskey samples from please post it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Excellent, thanks for the tip! If somebody has more places to recommend to buy whiskey samples from please post it!

Guys in Germany

https://www.simple-sample.de/

FYI the PayPal integration on the site seems a bit flaky.

I got my order through eventually... am hoping I don't get any duplicates in my L Mulligans festival drams though!

Bit of a blitz on single grains \ rye I'd wanted to try for a while:
    • Kilbeggan Single Grain 50ml €6.00
    • Method and Madness Single Grain Virgin Spanish Oak 50ml €6.50
    • Fercullen 10 Year Old Single Grain 50ml €7.00
    • Hinch 5 Year Old Double Wood 50ml 1 €6.50
    • Templeton Rye 4 Year Old 50ml €6.00

There's a flat delivery \ handling fee of €7.

I suppose the only downside is they won't come in branded miniatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mikeecho wrote:
    I'm looking to offload a bottle or two. Any suggestions as to what FB group to use, I don't fancy some of the auction sites, as they have far too many fees.

I'd say you could get some takers in here if you asked or days what you're looking to offload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

There are some good groups on Facebook that do bottle shares of 50/100ml, for example, I'm actually doing a share now of a few like:
    Teeling 24 year old, Dunville's Very Rare 18 yo, Writers Tears Cognac Cask, Pearse Lyons Distillery Edition Marraige of Malt, JJ Corry The Gael and The Banner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

brinty wrote: »
    I'd say you could get some takers in here if you asked or days what you're looking to offload

I don't think that's allowed.

I don't want to enrage the mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mikeecho wrote:
    I don't think that's allowed.

Wasn't aware of that myself, apologies mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

3pm Drink it or keep it?
    4pm Masterclasses
    6pm Masterclasses

4pm Masterclasses
    Hinch Whiskey
    Method and Madness
    Powers
    Glendalough
    Connemara
    Highland Park

6pm Masterclasses
    Greenspot
    Dublin Liberties
    Lambay
    Roe & Co
    Bowmore
    Pearse Lyons

So how big is a festival pour?

At festivals like whiskeylive the pours are quite small each time, though you can always get additional, and to be honest at whiskeylive you don't really want too much of each whiskey if you're looking to sample a wide selection.

57 The Headline have a Game of Thrones Whisky collection for €75.

11 x 50 ml bottles.

€5 delivery or can collect from them on Clanbrassil St

We are really excited to announce our next tasting with #TeelingWhiskey!!

As part of the launch of their 5th birthday & #DublinReborn events they have organised a VERY special line up of #DublinDistilled whiskeys for you!

Register your interest now!
    https://t.co/rwCrN7nLax https://t.co/2LN8ZmABrB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

As part of the launch of their 5th birthday & #DublinReborn events they have organised a VERY special line up of #DublinDistilled whiskeys for you!

That's bull. What a waste of my time clicking on that only to find that it's restricted to twitter users only and requires re-tweeting.
    Non-twitter lives matter too.

Whats your affiliation with all these tastings? You have posted loads in the last few weeks. Are you getting a kick back from any of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Don't know much about whiskey and looking to try some new types. Have tried the following so far and liked them all, listed them in order of preference. Any suggestions for types that are very different to these?

Glenfiddich 18 year old
    Glendalough double barrel
    Jameson caskmates IPA
    Yellow spot

Planning to get a laphroaig 10 year old, to try a really smoky/peaty one.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Don't know much about whiskey and looking to try some new types. Have tried the following so far and liked them all, listed them in order of preference. Any suggestions for types that are very different to these?

Glenfiddich 18 year old
    Glendalough double barrel
    Jameson caskmates IPA
    Yellow spot

Planning to get a laphroaig 10 year old, to try a really smoky/peaty one.

Glenfiddich is a Speyside scotch whiskey so is in the category of scotch that is most similar in flavor profile to Irish whiskey. Given the fact you like yellowspot id recommend trying Redbreast 12, Redbreast Lustau and Greenspot.

If youre not used to smoky whisk(e)y id stay away from Laphroaig unless youre able to get your hands on a sample for cheap, dont buy a full bottle just to try it in my opinion. It would really be diving into the deep end in terms of smoky scotch and could knock you for six. Id recommend maybe Highland Park 12 or Tallisker 10 as a stepping stone to smokier whiskeys. Talisker 10 is really nice in my opinion and I think you might get more enjoyment from it than Laphroaig given your taste profile you listed above.

If youre not used to smoky whisk(e)y id stay away from Laphroaig unless youre able to get your hands on a sample for cheap, dont buy a full bottle just to try it in my opinion. It would really be diving into the deep end in terms of smoky scotch and could knock you for six.

I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. A friend & myself opened a bottle of this in Scotland once, and never again. Money well spent elsewhere.

Hogzy wrote:
    Whats your affiliation with all these tastings? You have posted loads in the last few weeks. Are you getting a kick back from any of these?

I wish I got a kick back. So does my missus I would imagine. My affiliation is that whiskey is the only hobby of mine left that I can actually do during the shutdown. The tastings and free whiskies go very quick so I don't think giving people a heads up on here does any harm.

• Advertisement

I wish I got a kick back. So does my missus I would imagine. My affiliation is that whiskey is the only hobby of mine left that I can actually do during the shutdown. The tastings and free whiskies go very quick so I don't think giving people a heads up on here does any harm.

Apart from the harm to my credit card for the ones that aint free!

The tips are much appreciated... and if you have to retweet for some of them well you dont get nothing for nothing these days.

I've wasted no time on any of your free whiskey links :)
    It's not a negative comment on you or your post - Thanks for taking the time to do so.
    But rather that of the folks running it.

I understand that social media advertising matters but to specifically restrict it as they've done sends out the message that other whiskey drinkers don't matter to them if they're not on twitter.

Legion2008 wrote:
    So how big is a festival pour?

15-20ml.

wandererz wrote:
    It's not a negative comment on you or your post - Thanks for taking the time to do so. But rather that of the folks running it.

Apologies if I took you up wrong. It's been a long day!

I really hope he/she keeps posting these links, I find them great I would have never known about the upcoming fabulous Teeling one. Keep those links coming

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn’t mean to come across crass or unappreciative of the heads up. Iv signed up to loads of them I was just curious if there was a link.

Thanks for providing them.

wandererz wrote: »
    I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. A friend & myself opened a bottle of this in Scotland once, and never again. Money well spent elsewhere.

I care to disagree here. You haven’t really tasted whisk(e)y until you’ve tried the Islay line up. Magnificent distilleries in such small place. Yes it is going to be very different and I really hope you’ll like it. You’ll know straight away if it is for you or not.

I care to disagree here. You haven’t really tasted whisk(e)y until you’ve tried the Islay line up. Magnificent distilleries in such small place. Yes it is going to be very different and I really hope you’ll like it. You’ll know straight away if it is for you or not.

True. But Laphroaig first time to someone new can be a bit (entirely) overpowering.
    I'd start with some of the other distilleries as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I bought a bottle of 10 year old Laphraoig recently and absolutely love it. Didn't like Talisker 10 or Cardhu at all but really like Laphraoig. I don't consider it overly smoky, my favourite scotch I think just ahead of Glenfiddich albeit with the caveat that I haven't tasted a huge variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ah lads, now I'm lost. :pac:

accensi0n wrote: »
    Ah lads, now I'm lost. :pac:

Keep an eye out for the Cooley / Kilbeggan sampler set. It has 4 miniatures.
    Very different styles - basic blended Kilbeggan, Kilbeggan single grain aka Greenore, Tyrconnel single malt, Connemara peated Irish malt.

The Teelings Trinity sampler set also had a variety of styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just finished the Spey At Home tasting and must say it was great fun. Nice sampling, interesting, introduced to a couple of new names. Probably not the best time to make a purchase decision but I decided to go for the whiskey festival while I was at it.

I'm a little confused what am I picking when selecting a brand for the masterclasses? Are they having a master class on each, am I casting a vote, or am i specifying which samples I'll receive?

Just finished the Spey At Home tasting and must say it was great fun. Nice sampling, interesting, introduced to a couple of new names. Probably not the best time to make a purchase decision but I decided to go for the whiskey festival while I was at it.
    I'm a little confused what am I picking when selecting a brand for the masterclasses? Are they having a master class on each, am I casting a vote, or am i specifying which samples I'll receive?

Was great craic.
    Tamnavulin Double Cask was my fave.
    Disappointed with the Singleton of Dufftown, tasted a bit flat to me.
    The Glenfarclas 105 had some kick at 60%... mellowed with a drop of mineral water.

For the masterclasses I assumed you are picking which ones you will attend virtually from the selection... maybe there is zoom limit of 100 per class.
    I presumed if you picked the distillery for the masterclass you would get at least one of their samples but on the website it doesnt imply any direct link.
    Would be surprised if we all get the same 9 samples but could be wrong.

odyssey06 wrote:
    For the masterclasses I assumed you are picking which ones you will attend virtually from the selection... maybe there is zoom limit of 100 per class. I presumed if you picked the distillery for the masterclass you would get at least one of their samples but on the website it doesnt imply any direct link. Would be surprised if we all get the same 9 samples but could be wrong.

You get two samples per class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I knew the Tamnavulin wouldn't disappoint as I'm a big fan the their sherry cask. Benriach 10 was a new one to me and really made an impact after the entry-level Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. And yeah the Glenfarclas 105 was a great way to end the evening. What a monster!

So not exactly sure what I signed up for but I'm sure it will be fun and will be keeping an eye out for more events. Didn't occur to me that you could, of course, watch them recorded as there isn't a ton of interaction it would be enjoyable all the same. Love seeing creative ideas like this and don't see why this wouldn't work post-pandemic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement