Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm doing the jjcorry tasting and was thinking about the the introduction to world whiskey but it's on the same day. 15 50ml samples in a few hours might not be a good idea!

Its more than a full bottle of whiskey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its more than a full bottle of whiskey :D

Not too bad so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I noticed some of them are kicking off middle of the week during the day so that rules those out for me.

Yeah, some strange times, encouraging folks to be drinking whiskey in the middle of a weekday:D

As someone who would be doing one for the 1st time, any info about the rough format?

Do you simply get talked through each whiskey in turn, and sample it whilst the expert is chatting, and ask questions if you want to?
    And I take it you don't drink the 6 x 50ml completely while you're on the tasting;)

NIMAN wrote: »

As someone who would be doing one for the 1st time, any info about the rough format?

Do you simply get talked through each whiskey in turn, and sample it whilst the expert is chatting, and ask questions if you want to?
    And I take it you don't drink the 6 x 50ml completely while you're on the tasting;)

If its on Zoom the host can mute everybody and then talk through the whiskeys. You can add comments through a text chat function or unmute yourself to ask a specific question. If its 50ml Id usually do 25ml and keep the rest to try again myself.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m just finishing a bottle of yellow spot and really enjoyed it. I’ve previously enjoyed a few bottles of red breast 12 year old.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? My budget is up to 70 euro.

I was looking at either the knappogue 12 year or there’s an offer in O’Briens for drumshambo single pot still for 70 but I’m open to suggestions
    Alongside Redbreast and the Spots (de facto), Powers is Irish Distillers' other main single pot still range (apart from the entry-level Gold Label which is a blend) so dipping your toes in here is a must I would say.

Powers Three Swallows is one of my go-to whiskies and currently on offer in SuperValu for €33, a cracking price, especially if you have a spend & save voucher handy!

The Gold Label itself is high in pot-still content and an excellent everyday whiskey, especially when you can get it regularly on offer for €20 in one of the supermarkets.

Quackster wrote:
    The Gold Label itself is high in pot-still content and an excellent everyday whiskey, especially when you can get it regularly on offer for €20 in one of the supermarkets.

Powers John Lane is a another lovely whiskey and is right at the budget of €70.

Powers Gold Label doesn't always get the love it deserves. It's 70% pot still and 30% grain and 5-7 years old. I think it's the most expensive distillate they make in Midleton too due to the mash bill they use and the fact that it's the distillate and not the barrels that gives it most of its flavor. A steal at €20 if you can pick it up on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Powers John Lane is a another lovely whiskey and is right at the budget of €70.
    Powers Gold Label doesn't always get the love it deserves. It's 70% pot still and 30% grain and 5-7 years old. I think it's the most expensive distillate they make in Midleton too due to the mash bill they use and the fact that it's the distillate and not the barrels that gives it most of its flavor. A steal at €20 if you can pick it up on offer.

Good shouts... but I'll see your Powers Gold Label and raise you Black Bush @ €26 ... 80% malt whiskey and 20% grain whiskey some of which is aged for as long as 18 years :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m just finishing a bottle of yellow spot and really enjoyed it. I’ve previously enjoyed a few bottles of red breast 12 year old.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? My budget is up to 70 euro.

I was looking at either the knappogue 12 year or there’s an offer in O’Briens for drumshambo single pot still for 70 but I’m open to suggestions

Of the spots I still find the green the nicest. I haven't sampled much of the red though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, some strange times, encouraging folks to be drinking whiskey in the middle of a weekday:D

I'm a newbie as well :) The teeling 5th year celebration testing this Thursday is my first of these remote tastings so better to go by what Cazale replied with.

From doing previous distillery tastings i certaintly wouldn't recommend 6 50ml glasses in such a short space of time, i'd be on my ear by the end of it. My usual approach is to take a sip or two as the person is talking through them and a good gulp of water in between each one. Then if I particularly liked one or two I might come back and finish those off. I know some people prefer to drink the whole lot but depending on the sample size and the amount that would leave me in sorry state :D So i'll be just doing similiar to what cazale advises, maybe half of a 50ml sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I'm a newbie as well :) The teeling 5th year celebration testing this Thursday is my first of these remote tastings so better to go by what Cazale replied with.

From doing previous distillery tastings i certaintly wouldn't recommend 6 50ml glasses in such a short space of time, i'd be on my ear by the end of it. My usual approach is to take a sip or two as the person is talking through them and a good gulp of water in between each one. Then if I particularly liked one or two I might come back and finish those off. I know some people prefer to drink the whole lot but depending on the sample size and the amount that would leave me in sorry state :D So i'll be just doing similiar to what cazale advises, maybe half of a 50ml sample.

Another newbie here looking to sample something different. Just some information please? Do you have to watch the tasting live or can it be watched at a more reasonable time of the day for drinking:confused:. Two o clock is a bit early for me especially I will be minding the child also? Thanks for the information:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Liking the Aldi Irish Whiskey Collection (€19.99)

IMG-20200614-231305.jpg

Is that Kilbeggan Single Grain? Don't see it on their site, is it a regular thing?

Is that Kilbeggan Single Grain? Don't see it on their site, is it a regular thing?

Kilbeggan have a Single Grain & a Small Batch Rye as well as their basic blended Kilbeggan.

There's been a couple of versions of it in that set:
    * Originally it contained Greenore 8 year old, then was rebranded as Kilbeggan 8 year old single grain but I believe it was the same product, just a marketing change
    * The Kilbeggan Single Grain has no age statement and was put together under Beam-Suntory and is a different product in terms of inputs & cask e.g.
    * Previously it was all bourbon barrels, now there's a mix of bourbon, virgin oak, sherry and PX. Much more complex blend and includes some 'double digit' aged whiskey in there. Now bottled at 43% versus 40%.

I can't tell from the photo which of the Single Grain versions it is. You can get full bottle of the NAS version here.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Kilbeggan-Single-Grain?search=kilbeggan%20single%20grain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

54and56 wrote: »
    Liking the Aldi Irish Whiskey Collection (€19.99)

IMG-20200614-231305.jpg

What size of bottles is it?

irish_goat wrote: »
    What size of bottles is it?

The Kilbeggan set is 4 x 50 ml miniatures - am guessing ALDI have it in for Father's Day, don't think it is part of regular range.

Just got my tasting set for Teelings 5th anniversary tasting on Thursday. They called me as well to check if I had received it.

Contains 5 samples
    Single Pot Still Bourbon Cask
    Single Pot Still Virgin Oak
    Single Pot Still Sherry Cask
    Crystal Single Malt
    Peated Single Malt

And came with complimentary tour and tasting for two and Teeling glass.

Looking forward to it now, especially the peated.

Just got my tasting set for Teelings 5th anniversary tasting on Thursday. They called me as well to check if I had received it.

Contains 5 samples
    Single Pot Still Bourbon Cask
    Single Pot Still Virgin Oak
    Single Pot Still Sherry Cask
    Crystal Single Malt
    Peated Single Malt

And came with complimentary tour and tasting for two and Teeling glass.

Looking forward to it now, especially the peated.

Mine still hasnt arrived and I got a call from Teeling to ask if I got it. Sort of worried now. I dont live too far from the distillery anyway in case I need to go and collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mine still hasnt arrived and I got a call from Teeling to ask if I got it. Sort of worried now. I dont live too far from the distillery anyway in case I need to go and collect.

Same here. I'm about 200 metres from the distillery! L Mulligan had the same issue - Dublin deliveries took longest.

The person I spoke to seemed to just wanting to make sure that everyone has gotten their delivery today so that they can resend if not. Think they haven't really done something like this so just want to be careful that no one is left disappointed. Thats the impression I got from her anyway.

• Advertisement

I only got four samples in mine. Missing the peated sample so they are sending it again. Some smells off the crystal sample and the sherry cask.

Got the boann pack today too. The gold rim tuath glass is beautiful.

Fionnán O’Connor Presents Historical Irish Whiskey

About this Event
    Event 14: Pre-1970s Irish Whiskey

Probably a once in a life-time tasting for most people. to listen to Fionnán is like letting a masseuse delicately trace your spine and extremities while at the same time being thrown around on a roller coaster of knowledge.

This years Pre-1970s tasting boasts a current retail value of around €8,000 to be shared amongst a lucky few. Let’s relax, sip some history and pray that we see the likes again.

Sipping:

Powers 30yr Old, Dungourney 1964, Redbreast 10yr Old, Tullamore Dew, Knappogue Castle 1950 & Bushmills 9 year old

This is sold out now along with the RedBreast Vs GreenSpot which featured the Dream Cask 28.

Got the boann pack today too. The gold rim tuath glass is beautiful.

That's a keeper alright.

Reckon the local charity shop will be ending up with some Glencairn glasses by the end of all these lockdown tastings though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The Belfast whiskey week does look great, I signed up for Redbreast and Boann last night, then got the Waterford one today. All were good value imo.
    The Redbreast Vs GreenSpot looks very good too, expensive but prob worth it due to the samples involved.

Tempted by the Dunvilles too, but I have most of their stuff already

What's the story with the excise duty if they're posting this out to you from the UK?

I presume if it will be confiscated if customs catch it?

Mine arrived just now. Another whiskey glass for my collection!

The free tour is a really nice touch.

Yeah the free tour is a great idea. I’ve done it before with work colleagues but would gladly return to try the more expensive tastings. It should encourage people to visit as well once things are a bit more normal.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea what courier company delivered it?

Have you any idea what courier company delivered it?

An Post. I asked yesterday and she said they'd sent everything with an Post.

An Post. I asked yesterday and she said they'd sent everything with an Post.

I have gotten absolutely nothing :(

Did you get the email hogzy? Theres a phone number and email you can ring if you haven't got delivery yet. I'd try get on to them today so they can get it out to you Thursday, it'd need to leave the distillery tomorrow for delivery thurdsay which could be cutting it fine.

If you didn't get the mail let me know and i'll PM you the contact information.

Did you get the email hogzy? Theres a phone number and email you can ring if you haven't got delivery yet. I'd try get on to them today so they can get it out to you Thursday, it'd need to leave the distillery tomorrow for delivery thurdsay which could be cutting it fine.

If you didn't get the mail let me know and i'll PM you the contact information.

Cheers, I got the email alright, ill get onto them tomorrow as the deadline is tomorrow at 1pm. I dont mind driving over to the distillery to collect it as im not far from it.

• Advertisement

I have gotten absolutely nothing :(

Ring them. 01-5310888.

An Post are a shambles in Dublin at the moment. They managed to lose a Post Mobile sim card they'd sent to me themselves.

Ring them. 01-5310888.

An Post are a shambles in Dublin at the moment. They managed to lose a Post Mobile sim card they'd sent to me themselves.

Just called them there and theyre to call me back.

Here is the website you get when you enter the code on the back of the new Waterford Bannow Island release. Check out the soundcloud link where you can hear the sound of the environment where the barley is grown.

https://beta.waterfordwhisky.com/teireoir/single-farm-origin-bannow-island-1-1/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Here is the website you get when you enter the code on the back of the new Waterford Bannow Island release. Check out the soundcloud link where you can hear the sound of the environment where the barley is grown.

Very impressive details to be fair

Ring them. 01-5310888.

Still no bloody sign of these. I have had a delivery from Italy reach me faster than something that was posted 5km away from me. An Post seem to useless at the moment!

Thats a pity, i'd give them a shout ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

Dingle Distillery are doing an online Deconstruction sampling of their Batch #5 with their Master Distiller on July 4th. Sets go on sale tomorrow at 12pm on their website at https://shopie.dingledistillery.ie/. Limited to 500 sets. Last time they sold these they were €23.95.

In this tasting kit, you will find three 3cl samples of the component casks which make up Batch 5: Bourbon, PX and Madeira. A fourth bonus dram which is the finished Batch 5 is also included.

Did anyone get delivery of this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

dball wrote: »
    Did anyone get delivery of this yet?

No, not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

They emailed me back, i didn't realise it was an organised tasting too, Sweet!

The Three Drams kit is a pre-order and will be shipped before the tasting on July 4th. The tracking number is created on our system to notify our courier to pick up. That's why it's reading "order data received from sender". Apologies for the delay.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Sound cloud. Isn't that going a tad too far! Will Ed the farmer come round and tuck me into bed at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just rolled the dice with a few bottles online :

Glenlivet 12
    Redbreast 12
    Highland Park 12
    Caol Ila 12
    Bowmore 12
    Laphroaigh 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Dick Macks pub have started selling 50ml samples from their whiskey collection.

https://www.dickmackspub.com/shop/

My order from Dick Macks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got one during the week too, will crack into some this weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just rolled the dice with a few bottles online :

Glenlivet 12
    Redbreast 12
    Highland Park 12
    Caol Ila 12
    Bowmore 12
    Laphroaigh 10

You'll have a decent bar there for sure, enjoy. Quite a range of Islay options there specifically that will make for some interesting contrasts.

Highland Park is a distillery I'm interested in and know they have some stonking good whisky available (and perhaps some overpriced duds too) but every time I'm in the airport I'm paralysed by the sheer range of airport retail offerings they have, what feels like a bazillion options in multiple price ranges. I think the 12 is probably a good place to start unless I finally make notes before I go and have a sense of what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Potato_farl

My order from Dick Macks

What are their delivery charges like? I couldn't see any mention of them on the website.

What are their delivery charges like? I couldn't see any mention of them on the website.

Think it's flat charge €5 to anywhere in the country and a €2 admin fee.
    Same for 1 mini bottle as for 10.
    Delivery to Dublin was by Fastway for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

You'll have a decent bar there for sure, enjoy. Quite a range of Islay options there specifically that will make for some interesting contrasts.

Highland Park is a distillery I'm interested in and know they have some stonking good whisky available (and perhaps some overpriced duds too) but every time I'm in the airport I'm paralysed by the sheer range of airport retail offerings they have, what feels like a bazillion options in multiple price ranges. I think the 12 is probably a good place to start unless I finally make notes before I go and have a sense of what I'm looking for.

12 is really decent, its a great example a balanced smoky whisky. its also florally and there's a real heathery flavour/smell and lavender bang off it. It defintely makes me think of that kind of landscape which is nice when you're sipping it. £12 year old is £25 in Sainsbury's in the North at the moment, and Glenlivit 12 is £28 and Old Pulteney £24. i wanted to go for the Glenlivet but I have too much to get through at the minute and running out of shelf space.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Highland Park 12 is a very nice whisky IMO and regularly available for around the £25 mark in one of the big four UK supermarkets.

If you're feeling lucky, Celtic Whiskey Shop are running Teeling promo:
    We're giving one lucky customer a chance to win a Teeling Goodie Bag & bottle of Teeling Renaissance Series 1 SIGNED by Jack & Stephen Teeling!
    TO ENTER? Buy any 70cl Teeling online between now & July 11th, you'll be automatically entered to win

EayrFHbWAAADIVG?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

IMG_20200618_193931_131.jpgJust trying this now. Very nice. Got it by chance. Sold out now in most places in Waterford.
    Edit. Bannow Island. Image too large.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement