Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Opened my Teelings 17yo Jim Barry (Australian Shiraz cask). Absolutely phenomenal. I’ve always enjoyed sherry finished whiskey. But think I may start seeking out wine cask. The only other I’d had before now was Greenspot Leoville Barton (as far as I know anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Be worth trying to get your hands on the brabazon series 1, sherry finished and lovely stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mellor wrote:
    Opened my Teelings 17yo Jim Barry (Australian Shiraz cask). Absolutely phenomenal. I’ve always enjoyed sherry finished whiskey. But think I may start seeking out wine cask. The only other I’d had before now was Greenspot Leoville Barton (as far as I know anyway)

Knappogue Castle do a lovely marsala cask finish.

All set for the distilled festival. Doing method and madness and Bowmore for the masterclasses. Have the fry ready for the hangover in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cazale wrote: »
    Knappogue Castle do a lovely marsala cask finish.

Haven't had the marsala - but I thought the 12yo Barolo cask finish was fantastic, got a sample from Dick Macks.
    In the Distilled festival set I see a Rioja cask finish from Tipperary which I am looking forward to.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Diamond Dogs

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just did so :)
    It says devil's advocate cocktail on the bottle but googling it there doesn't seem to a definitive recipe for it..

Definitely got cinnamon on the nose of the 1661 cocktail :-)

Definitely got cinnamon on the nose of the 1661 cocktail :-)

That must be the Tonka syrup.

This is the recipe - Michael from the festival said its a version of a whiskey sour.
    40ml dublin liberties oak devil
    10ml aperol
    15ml tonka syrup
    25ml lemon juice

Can serve over ice.

odyssey06 wrote:
    This is the recipe - Michael from the festival said its a version of a whiskey sour. 40ml dublin liberties oak devil 10ml aperol 15ml tonka syrup 25ml lemon juice

Tasty stuff to start with!

Haven't had the marsala - but I thought the 12yo Barolo cask finish was fantastic, got a sample from Dick Macks.
    In the Distilled festival set I see a Rioja cask finish from Tipperary which I am looking forward to.

And to continue the theme of wine cask whiskies, this set from Glendalough looks interesting: 3 x 50ml miniatures for €20.
    There's a Maderia finish and a Grand Cru Burgundy (Pinot Noir) finish in the set.
    Having visited Burgundy, and gone by and through some of the vineyards, I'd be curious to know which Grand Cru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Each to their own! If you are fortunate enough to have a full bottle I think it would be interesting for you to judge the taste of the whiskey e.g. neat, with 1 small ice cube, with a drop of chilled water, with 50-50 to water etc.
    A full bottle of Ratheadon and a mini of one of the other expressions so you can compare them would be the best of both worlds :)

Well we "had" a full bottle. Just under 3/4 left. So there's room enough to experiment this evening after dinner. :)

520338.jpg

Been some lovely suggestions today lads. Keep up the good work. Love this thread.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote:
    And to continue the theme of wine cask whiskies, this set from Glendalough looks interesting: 3 x 50ml miniatures for €20. There's a Maderia finish and a Grand Cru Burgundy (Pinot Noir) finish in the set. Having visited Burgundy, and gone by and through some of the vineyards, I'd be curious to know which Grand Cru.

Where is this set for sale?

Where is this set for sale?

Oops, meant to say that but was multi-tasking.
    The Glendalough miniature set is in Celtic Whiskey Shop.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Glendalough%20Whiskey%20Miniature%203%20Pack?search=glendalough

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Great afternoon at the Distilled festival. Started off thinking that the drams were a bit small but now it's ended maybe not!

Great afternoon at the Distilled festival. Started off thinking that the drams were a bit small but now it's ended maybe not!

I'm fairly stocious after it! Was good to see Midleton Master Distiller Kevin OGorman at the method and madness masterclass. Was slightly disappointed with the Bowmore class as the whisky was good but the ambassador was sadly slightly low energy. I should have gone for Green Spot. No luck on the RedBreast tasting.

Our eyes are often bigger than our bellies! Great festival, the discussions and samples were informative and tasty.

Am finishing off my Distilled festival with the Bar 1661 cocktail. Figured I'd want something sweet and cold at the end of the night :)

Enjoyed the Roe & Co masterclass and very impressed with the Curator series and their Cask strength entry.
    The Curator series is a step up from the base Roe & Co (which is also a nice drop).
    Also a nice drop were the DWD Heritage Edition and the Talisker 10.
    The Highland Park 12 year old cask strength had a wow factor for sure, top whisky but gonna pick the Roe & Co cask strength as my favourite thus far.

* I've recorded the Glendalough masterclass and will get to that tomorrow.
    * Still have to get to the Tipperary Rioja, Velvet Cap, Dubliner Rascals Coffee Stout Finish, Currach seaweed cask, WD O'Connell Big Phil and revisit Redbreast 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Am finishing off my Distilled festival with the Bar 1661 cocktail. Figured I'd want something sweet and cold at the end of the night :)

Enjoyed the Roe & Co masterclass and very impressed with the Curator series and their Cask strength entry.
    The Curator series is a step up from the base Roe & Co (which is also a nice drop).
    Also a nice drop were the DWD Heritage Edition and the Talisker 10.
    The Highland Park 12 year old cask strength had a wow factor for sure, top whisky but gonna pick the Roe & Co cask strength as my favourite thus far.

* I've recorded the Glendalough masterclass and will get to that tomorrow.
    * Still have to get to the Tipperary Rioja, Velvet Cap, Dubliner Rascals Coffee Stout Finish, Currach seaweed cask, WD O'Connell Big Phil and revisit Redbreast 12

Moderate durante!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Personally I am looking forward to the recordings as I I accidentally ordered twice and have another set to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Going at this now lads

• Advertisement

I have a list of whisky that I would always keep stocked in my cabinet, Lagavulin is one of them.

However this is really a metal cabinet as any of the whiskeys on the list don't really last long enough to go into a cabinet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well we "had" a full bottle. Just under 3/4 left. So there's room enough to experiment this evening after dinner. :)

520338.jpg

Been some lovely suggestions today lads. Keep up the good work. Love this thread.

I watered her down tonight and the FIL iced up as is our preference normally.

The water absolutely opened it up.

It completely changed it. Stunning.

I'm stunned at how good it is. Imagine how good the Ratheadon 10yo will be?

The water absolutely opened it up.

It completely changed it. Stunning.

I'm stunned at how good it is. Imagine how good the Ratheadon 10yo will be?

Thanks for the first-hand review :-) If their stuff is half as different/good as they have been marketing it as, I'm looking forward to sampling some!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BarbBrooklyn

Bulleit Rye. It's like mana of the gods.

The Bourbon isn't bad either. I'm just a rye guy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Had my first Ardbeg 10 tonight. Was a bit disappointed tbh. I didnt really like Laphraoig 10 either. I thought the Ardbeg would much stronger tasting. Not sure if it's worth buying one of the more expensive Ardbegs. I like the Tallisker more than the Laphroaig 10 and i'd have the Ardbeg pretty close to the Tallisker.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Was in Tullamore for the weekend and of course done the tour, was blown away by their 12 year old. Fantastic stuff for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

picachu wrote: »
    Had my first Ardbeg 10 tonight. Was a bit disappointed tbh. I didnt really like Laphraoig 10 either. I thought the Ardbeg would much stronger tasting. Not sure if it's worth buying one of the more expensive Ardbegs. I like the Tallisker more than the Laphroaig 10 and i'd have the Ardbeg pretty close to the Tallisker.

Arbeg 10 and Laphraoig 10 are both absolutely classic Islay whiskies, but at the end of the day if you don't like them it's a personal call...

There are distilleries like Glengoyne that produce well-reviewed whisky that I just don't like, full stop. I think it's that naked barley emphasis that I find off-putting.

In terms of more expensive iterations of Arbeg ... If you were nonplussed by the 10 then don't bother, there is a house style that remains pretty constant.

If you like Talisker my suggestion for coastal / island distilleries that might also appeal, and staying with Islay, would be the classic Lagavulin 16 year old.

Lots of great new whiskey coming out of ireland lately.
    One one hand im happy, but on the other, the cost to export to me is staggering.

Was looking at a bottle of the Barrys Gin for a present. 35 euro in Ireland. $110 (about 60/65euro) in Sydney. :eek:
    Maybe I should get into imports

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Arbeg 10 and Laphraoig 10 are both absolutely classic Islay whiskies, but at the end of the day if you don't like them it's a personal call...

There are distilleries like Glengoyne that produce well-reviewed whisky that I just don't like, full stop. I think it's that naked barley emphasis that I find off-putting.

In terms of more expensive iterations of Arbeg ... If you were nonplussed by the 10 then don't bother, there is a house style that remains pretty constant.

If you like Talisker my suggestion for coastal / island distilleries that might also appeal, and staying with Islay, would be the classic Lagavulin 16 year old.

Thanks for your response!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mellor wrote: »
    Lots of great new whiskey coming out of ireland lately.
    One one hand im happy, but on the other, the cost to export to me is staggering.

Was looking at a bottle of the Barrys Gin for a present. 35 euro in Ireland. $110 (about 60/65euro) in Sydney. :eek:
    Maybe I should get into imports

Are you talking about Blackwater Barry's Tea Gin?

See how much Ardkeen quote you to send.

https://www.ardkeen.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Booked the Scots Whisky tasting as part of the Belfast Whiskey Week over 5 weeks ago, havn't received anything yet, nor any communication. Hopefully arrives before Friday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

accensi0n wrote: »
    Booked the Scots Whisky tasting as part of the Belfast Whiskey Week over 5 weeks ago, havn't received anything yet, nor any communication. Hopefully arrives before Friday. :(

As above.:( Fingers and toes crossed:D

Asked them there. Saying they are with the couriers and should be delivered by Thursday at the latest. Don't know why they leave these things so late!

Asked them there. Saying they are with the couriers and should be delivered by Thursday at the latest. Don't know why they leave these things so late!

Thanks for that update. The timing builds the anticipation
    ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

Are you talking about Blackwater Barry's Tea Gin?

See how much Ardkeen quote you to send.

https://www.ardkeen.com/

That's the one. I'll give Ardkeen a shout.
    I never made the Blackwater Whiskey connection to now. In my head it wsa just Barry's brand. :D

Update:
    Ardkeen have suspending shipping outsde the EU during Covid.
    Although the price is e23 for 1kg, which about a bottle. So comes to $95 anyway.
    I'll guess I'll click and collect locally and pay the Australia tax rather than risk a delivery taking ages.

So someone asked what Flaviar's "free" quarterly bottler offerings are like, here's my choices for this quarter:

Whiskey Union - Huxley Rare Genus
    Jameson- Caskmates Stout Edition
    Ron de Jeremy (Rum)
    Writers Tear - Copper Pot
    Matusalem - 15 Gran Reserva Solera (Rum)
    Auchentoshan - 12 Year
    Tullibardine - 500 Sherry Cask Finish
    Knob Creek - Patiently Age Kentucky Straight Bourbon
    Four Roses - Single Barrel Bourbon
    Caol Ila - 12 Year
    Ileach - The Ileach Cask Strength
    Le Pertuis - Pure Malt Whisky
    Baron Ostard - VSOP
    Glenkinchie - 12 Year Old
    Gold of Mauritius (Dark Rum)

and a few gins not worth mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Anyone tried the West Cork Whiskies that have come into Lidl recently? There's a bourbon barrel blend and a single malt?

Ron de Jeremy (Rum)

Not sure I'd try this one!

Beanstalk wrote:
    Anyone tried the West Cork Whiskies that have come into Lidl recently? There's a bourbon barrel blend and a single malt?

Haven't tried them but remember reading a few reviews on Twitter saying they are grand for the price but nothing special.

The Ardfallen in Aldi is from West Cork also... bourbon barrels... rrp €19.
    Decent for the price.

• Advertisement

The Ardfallen in Aldi is from West Cork also... bourbon barrels... rrp €19.
    Decent for the price.

I was curious about the distillery behind that brand, thanks.

I was curious about the distillery behind that brand, thanks.

Some good info here. There is a malt element in the blend.
    "Ardfallen is carefully prepared by blending the finest of grain and malt Irish whiskey. The malt fraction is both first fill bourbon and bodega sherry cask matured malt making the blend interesting and engaging,”
    https://www.checkout.ie/drinks/aldi-launches-new-exclusive-ardfallen-irish-whiskey-77054

Not sure I'd try this one!

It's long in the mouth a has a creamy finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never had anything distilled by West Cork I liked - the 10 is decent but that's Cooley I'd guess. If that Aldi one turns out to be good-for-its-pricepoint, please report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was recently given a bottle of "whiskey" from West Cork Distillery - Drombeg.

In fairness to the person, a non-drinker, they didn't realise it was a whiskey liqueur. Not a big fan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom Dunne wrote: »

In fairness to the person, a non-drinker, they didn't realise it was a whiskey liqueur. Not a big fan of it.

As far as I know, Drombeg isn't made by West Cork distillery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I know, Drombeg isn't made by West Cork distillery.

Bottle I suffered through stated it was, as does everything I can find online going back to when it was introduced.

Think I ended up finishing it with actual whiskey and ginger ale.

Someone senior in work has a holiday house near the distillery and pretty much exclusively gives their products as gifts - the Drombeg is the only one I bought myself but I've had four or five different bottles.

edit: if you meant "isn't made" as in bought in from somewhere else; that's very possibly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

I picked up a 14 year old Knappogue castle at Shannon airport for 52€ which is a great price. Non chilled filtered and bottled at 46 percent. Ralfy gave it an excellent review, so looking forward to sipping it.

Tockman wrote: »
    I picked up a 14 year old Knappogue castle at Shannon airport for 52€ which is a great price. Non chilled filtered and bottled at 46 percent. Ralfy gave it an excellent review, so looking forward to sipping it.

Yeah I got a miniature set in Celtic Whiskey Shop that had the 12, 14 and 16 year olds and the 14 was my favourite. Actually wasn't keen on the 12.
    If you like the brand keep an eye out for the Barolo cask finish edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Tom Dunne wrote: »

I use that for making sauces or marinades when I'm barbecuing. Very handy for that but not much else.

West Cork stuff is OK, but not great. I'd always say it's fairly bang on price-point wise though. Their €25 virgin oak in Lidl is a steal though. Nowhere near the nicest virgin oak whiskey I've had (Method & Madness) but it's half the price.

I also try to support actual Irish whiskeys/business so that's now become my everyday whiskey as opposed to Powers. Helps that I did a tour of the Distillery with John the owner, absolute gentleman, couldn't have been nicer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement