Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Appreciation of Very Rare depends on how well a particular year's bottling is received. It's not going to make you any mega bucks any time soon - open it.

CarefulNow! has said that their experience of whiskey is limited.
    No point to opening a top class whiskey if the ability to appreciate it properly isn't there yet. They should work their way up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

kbannon wrote: »
    CarefulNow! has said that their experience of whiskey is limited.
    No point to opening a top class whiskey if the ability to appreciate it properly isn't there yet. They should work their way up to it.

If you buy whiskey to drink, drink it. He's hardly going to open a bottle of Very Rare and neck it before a night out with the lads. As for being top class, don't equate that with expensive. The standard of Very Rare is highly changeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Very rare should remain closed? Do they appreciate in value?

No, yes (in the earlier cases) and why bother?
    Buy it and drink it.

I'm on my third bottle over the last few years. Life's too short

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

brinty wrote: »
    Whiskey = Irish
    Whisky = Scottish
    Bourbon = American

Whiskey can mean American too. Jack Daniels is whiskey, for example. Japanese on the other hand is whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

irish_goat wrote: »
    Whiskey can mean American too. Jack Daniels is whiskey, absolute p155 for example. Japanese on the other hand is whisky.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we're going down this road, you'll find Americans using both spellings, Canadians using both spellings and even historical uses of both in Ireland. Not sure the Scottish have ever wavered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Not sure the Scottish have ever wavered.
    Don't think so. "Whisky" is really the correct spelling. The E was added by Dublin distillers to distinguish their product from what they saw as the inferior product from the country. It only became the norm across Ireland in the 1960s once IDL had taken control of the market and wanted to homogenise its brands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L1011 wrote: »
    If we're going down this road, you'll find Americans using both spellings, Canadians using both spellings and even historical uses of both in Ireland. Not sure the Scottish have ever wavered.

Seems you're right. Had a look and the US government calls it "whisky" but the American Bourbon Association use "whiskey".

Having a whisk[e]y party for my birthday next weekend. Got some of Aldi's 3 year old scotch for anyone who wants to have scotch with a ridiculous mixer or make a brain-fart cocktail that they won't even drink with it (would hope those invited are too old for that now, but you never know, and I do remember JD-gin "cocktails" before). Decided to give it a taste beforehand.

Oh god, its terrible. Its quite possibly the worst Scotch I've ever drunk. Considering their 8 year old is pretty good, this is surprisingly bad. Smells of drain cleaner, tastes of Werthers Originals in the worst way. Its like someone flavoured neutral grain alcohol with thick caramel.

I would willingly go back and take the 20/30% liquers that West Cork made that I berated on here in favour of this. If its not used at the party I may actually have to pour it down the sink, or maybe use it with Irn Bru and a splash of something extremely smokey.

• Advertisement

No, its horrible in irn bru too. Jesus, who buys/drinks this stuff? Highland Earl is the name

Was WhatsApp'ed the shelves in Barcelona airport to pick what I wanted brought back and picked a Lagavulin 16 and an Auchentoshen Heartwood NAS bottling. Decent mix of a strong sold product and something that could be crap, I think :pac:

L1011 wrote:
    Was WhatsApp'ed the shelves in Barcelona airport to pick what I wanted brought back and picked a Lagavulin 16 and an Auchentoshen Heartwood NAS bottling. Decent mix of a strong sold product and something that could be crap, I think

Going up north this weekend
    Might grab a nice bottle or two

I've had the Heartwood before. It's grand. Not as good as Three Wood but quite tasty. Auchentoshan is triple distilled, so it's very like an Irish blend.

who buys/drinks this stuff?

People with a different palate to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    You must be used to some very fancy drams! I always found monkey shoulder to be an excellent whisky, especially when you think you can get 1L for less than 40 quid in duty free. Its also one of the most malty whisky's i have ever tasted. Massive biscuity quality to it. it lacks a bit in other flavours but i think thats also its selling point (for me), its all malt.

I think Irish Whiskey has spoilt me I find most Scotches rough and ready in comparison and yes I do have expensive tastes. My favourite dram is Redbreast 21 year old :)

I love Laphroaig especially the 18 year old but for the price I paid in France the Monkey Shoulder isn't a bad sipping Whisky.

The missus is on the way back from the states today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed she has bought me a "present" :D

Pick up an Auchentoshan American oak and Aberfeldy 12yo in Enniskillen yesterday £57 for the two. Was torn on the Aberfeldy between it a Dalwhinnie or a 15yo Glenlivet all at same price. Think i might've made an error in judgement.

• Advertisement

Birthday presents included a bottle of what-was-Greenore (Kilbeggan Grain) which is something I'd not had before and a style not in the cabinet so far. A bottle of Jameson 18 distilled when I was born was cracked open - because its easier/cheaper to get that than one that's actually my age :pac:

Whiskey = Irish
    Whisky = Scottish
    Bourbon = American

Bourbon can only come from Kentucky. Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Picked up a 12 year old bottle of Old Pulteney. Very nice and extremely smooth. Would highly recommend and it's now my whisky of choice for the moment.

Untrue - long held urban myth, but the regulations only require it to be made in the US. Jack Daniels doesn't use the word bourbon because they don't want to.

Not true. Jack Daniel's prefers not to be regarded as a bourbon for marketing reasons but it absolutely is one. The rules make no mention of specific States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I picked up a bottle of Paddy Centenery at the airport for €65 yesterday. Didn't realise until I checked earlier that it was €199 in Celtic Whisky Shop. Incredible value. Has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Feenix wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of Paddy Centenery at the airport for €65 yesterday. Didn't realise until I checked earlier that it was €199 in Celtic Whisky Shop. Incredible value. Has anyone tried it?

Jesus thats after shooting up in price! I think it was 100e about 2 years ago.

It is lovely alright, but no way 200e lovely!!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not true. Jack Daniel's prefers not to be regarded as a bourbon for marketing reasons but it absolutely is one. The rules make no mention of specific States.

The steps of learning something you thought was fact is false:

1. Denial
    2. Research
    3. Momentary cringe
    4. Brief shrug
    5. Delight at learning a new fact which after the research, including reading the law is a fact
    6. Praise the guy who enlightened you

Thanks BeerNut, I honestly thought that was a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wrong thread

Well the missus delivered and a 1 Litre Bottle of Laphroaig PX Case Triple Matured was dropped onto my lap. Trying it now and it is a rich cognaccy peaty taste of heaven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

gandalf wrote: »
    I think Irish Whiskey has spoilt me I find most Scotches rough and ready in comparison and yes I do have expensive tastes. My favourite dram is Redbreast 21 year old :)

I love Laphroaig especially the 18 year old but for the price I paid in France the Monkey Shoulder isn't a bad sipping Whisky.

The missus is on the way back from the states today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed she has bought me a "present" :D

I feel the opposite, Scotch has opened up whole new taste sensations for me oily peaty, smoky, fruity which makes some Irish whiskey appear bland by comparison but I am hoping to finally purchase a bottle of Redbreast 21 this year so we shall see.

To be fair two of my early favourites are Laphroaig and Bowmore and they are the ones that opened me up to the world of Whisk(e)y variety. My second favourite dram is Hibiki 12 year old from Suntory of Japan.

You're in for a treat with the Redbreast 21yr old ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I recently had a Texan Bourbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

At a friend's house and tried Aberfeldy 16: meh, not much going on with that one, just oak. Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve: A step up from the Aberfeldy, sweet, but nothing to write home about. Benromach 10yr: a wee improvement on the 5yr more oily, longer, defo the winner of the tasting.

I recently had a Texan Bourbon.

Turns out I was completely wrong about that "fact".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Turns out I was completely wrong about that "fact".

I had a longer post relating to the fact but then saw that others beat me to it.
    Edited it down to that little bit of information.

It was the classic " someone is wrong on the Internet " moment.

The most random bottle that arrived during my birthday party was a shoulder of Hankey Bannister which I had never heard of before that day - when I saw it in Dunnes and commented on it only being available as a shoulder. Assumed it was a supermarket own brand - but it actually has a fairly hefty heritage. Terrible, terrible name though.

Its surprisingly drinkable, but I don't think another will be bought

I'm new to the whiskey scene.

I think my foray into craft beers(especially stronger ones helped) as you can get a few that have that alcohol taste off them.

We've had a bottle of Jameson in the house over christmas and bar one short I finished both of them.
    I think between this years and the few Bushmills I had in another place over xmas it inspired me to get my own bottles.

Got a bottle of The Famouse Grouse and Bushmills last week... can't say I find much difference between Scotch and Irish tbh.

Are there any e20-30 bottles worth a look?... Scotch or Irish....especially from the Aldi and Lidl exclusives.

Are there any e20-30 bottles worth a look?... Scotch or Irish
    Black Bush is among the best in that bracket. €25 in O'Brien's at the moment.

Got a bottle of The Famouse Grouse and Bushmills last week... can't say I find much difference between Scotch and Irish tbh.

There both bog standard mass produced blends but there's definitely a difference - the bushmills, marginally, tastes less like piss.

As mentioned, get a bottle of Black Bush in the 20-30 price range. You'll occasionally get decent offers on something like Crested Ten (just called Crested I think now) that'll come into that price range too.

I think my foray into craft beers(especially stronger ones helped) as you can get a few that have that alcohol taste off them.

We've had a bottle of Jameson in the house over christmas and bar one short I finished both of them.
    I think between this years and the few Bushmills I had in another place over xmas it inspired me to get my own bottles.

Are there any e20-30 bottles worth a look?... Scotch or Irish....especially from the Aldi and Lidl exclusives.

Nope.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Black Bush is among the best in that bracket. €25 in O'Brien's at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll pick up a bottle of this in OBriens so, theres one near my workplace.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll pick up a bottle of this in OBriens so, theres one near my workplace.

Its vile. Dont buy that!

Keep going at that piggy bank until you hit about 50e and come back to me, i'll get you on the Scotch train choo choo ;)

€45 bottle of cardhu you'll not regret it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its vile. Dont buy that!

Keep going at that piggy bank until you hit about 50e and come back to me, i'll get you on the Scotch train choo choo ;)

Take it easy/tog bog e. Try a blackbush or a crested and then try dearer bottles/whiskies but hasten slowly/festina lente/tog bog e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Wang Kerr

€45 bottle of cardhu you'll not regret it

+1 great drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Your basic Powers Gold Label is one of the best whiskeys you can get, value for money wise. I always have a bottle or 2 on the shelf, and it's my go-to for a midweek nightcap. Also excellent for Hot Whiskey, or Irish Coffee.
    Usually around 29euro, but you'll often see it on special in the supermarkets for as little as 20-24euro per 70cl.
    I drink it neat. Full of flavour with a good nose and a strong finish.

I save the more expensive stuff for the weekends (usually!).

Got a bottle (she got the hints!!) of Glendronach 14 yr old Virgin Oak for VD.

Another fine addition from Glendronach. Its wonderful and that first sip packs quite a punch. Very coconuty on both the nose and palate.

Glendronach.... still making the best pound for pound Scotch anywhere.

My good lady got me a bottle of Jameson black barrel for the occasion
    Was going to get me a midleton rare but the O'Briens she went to had none
    #disappointed

My good lady got me a bottle of Jameson black barrel for the occasion
    Was going to get me a midleton rare but the O'Briens she went to had none
    #disappointed

Well talk about chalk and cheese ha

• Advertisement

I was actually surprised by the Black Barrel, a very nice dram and well worth a purchase for less than €50 I must say

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well talk about chalk and cheese ha
    Wang Kerr wrote: »
    I was actually surprised by the Black Barrel, a very nice dram and well worth a purchase for less than €50 I must say

I d enjoy the black barrel and grateful to get it
    The Middleton would've been exceptional to get but still nothing wrong with Jameson

I d enjoy the black barrel and grateful to get it
    The Middleton would've been exceptional to get but still nothing wrong with Jameson

I'm actually going to get another bottle of the black barrel as the pressie is gone.

Wondering, Middleton Very Rare or Red Breast 21yo....Which is the better buy for the 155-185 bracket?.... Personal opinions I'm looking for really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've commented on here before but for the price it costs, the Middleton 2016 isn't worth it for me personally. I got far more enjoyment from a cask strength 12 yo redbreast. Haven't sampled the 21.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement