Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

xeresod wrote: »
    For those of you that have ordered samples for Belfast Whisky Week, when were they delivered?

I booked two events Friday and one Saturday.

I’ve heard nothing from the organiser re samples or tasting session and one is on tomorrow.

Oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    They don't. That's now The Digital Hub.

Was it that compact?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Was it that compact?
    There's a set of Corporation flats in Watling Street that would have been part of it, but otherwise yes, I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Getting a bit worried that im not going to get my Bushmills samples for Belfast Whiskey Week. The tasting is on the 30th July and I havnt received confirmation yet that they have been despatched. Anyone get confirmation?

Hogzy wrote:
    Getting a bit worried that im not going to get my Bushmills samples for Belfast Whiskey Week. The tasting is on the 30th July and I havnt received confirmation yet that they have been despatched. Anyone get confirmation?

I'm in for two of them and haven't heard anything either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Enjoying some lovely whiskeys tonight. Started with redbreast lustau, followed by powers John's lane. Funny thing with these whiskies is they're both very similar, in essence, yet both very different, when compared side by side, which I did tonight. The similarity is obvious,. It's easy to tell they come from the same heritage with that pot still oiliness. But the lustau has more of the pot still character, rich, oily and chewy, while the powers is sweeter and more mellow.

Which would i prefer? Probably the redbreast on taste, but powers on the nose.

After those two I had some sherried scotch, glendronach 18. Aged solely in sherry casks, an absolute glorious whiskey in my opinion. Redbreast lustau is marketed as strong sherry finish but it pales in comparison to the glendronach for that sherry richness. Totally different whiskies with the pot still and single malt, but the reason why I like both Irish and scotch is the variety of flavours we have to choose from.

Slàinte

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ap71

Hi All,
    signed up yesterday after checking this thread for BWW info as in the same boat as some of you. Got an email late last night stating tonight's Buffalo Trace experience has been moved to 10pm Friday due to delivery issues with the tasting sets. Dunno if that's also the case with other events but thought I'd share as there's no update on their SM channels yet. Ah well, at least they're on it, shame about tonight though..

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend contacting them from order page on eventbrite, the only reply I had from BWW was via the email address on their FB page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Enjoying some lovely whiskeys tonight. Started with redbreast lustau, followed by powers John's lane. Funny thing with these whiskies is they're both very similar, in essence, yet both very different, when compared side by side, which I did tonight. The similarity is obvious,. It's easy to tell they come from the same heritage with that pot still oiliness. But the lustau has more of the pot still character, rich, oily and chewy, while the powers is sweeter and more mellow.

Wailin wrote:
    Which would i prefer? Probably the redbreast on taste, but powers on the nose.

Wailin wrote:
    After those two I had some sherried scotch, glendronach 18. Aged solely in sherry casks, an absolute glorious whiskey in my opinion. Redbreast lustau is marketed as strong sherry finish but it pales in comparison to the glendronach for that sherry richness. Totally different whiskies with the pot still and single malt, but the reason why I like both Irish and scotch is the variety of flavours we have to choose from.

Great post especially at 2am after drinking whiskey! I'm partial to a glass of Powers Johns Lane and think it's one of the best examples of pot still whiskey. There was a cask strength version sampled at the Belfast Whiskey Week which would have been interesting to try.

I love the Scottish sherry bombs like the glendronach 18 and glengoyne 25. I can't think of any Irish Whiskey finished in sherry casks that come anywhere near those two.

brinty wrote:
    I booked two events Friday and one Saturday.

Hogzy wrote:

I ordered two Bushmills and a Sliabh Liag set on Friday. Got a text saying they are being delivered by dpd this morning. I'm in kildare. All hope might not be lost yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭xeresod

No dispatch confirmations or anything but I did get an email from DPD parcel wizard to say a package form Irish Whiskey Auctions will be delivered today - guessing that must be it, or else somebody decided to buy me a surprise present!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

xeresod wrote: »
    No dispatch confirmations or anything but I did get an email from DPD parcel wizard to say a package form Irish Whiskey Auctions will be delivered today - guessing that must be it, or else somebody decided to buy me a surprise present!!!

Yep that's it. My BWW samples came from Irish Whiskey Auctions in Louth also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cazale wrote:
    I ordered two Bushmills and a Sliabh Liag set on Friday. Got a text saying they are being delivered by dpd this morning. I'm in kildare. All hope might not be lost yet!

Yep same as you gents, DPD mail and text that my delivery driver will be here between 2 & 3. Even got his name. Are we all getting deliveries from Cemal. I'm in Navan so ahold get mine before you!!!

brinty wrote:
    Yep same as you gents, DPD mail and text that my delivery driver will be here between 2 & 3. Even got his name. Are we all getting deliveries from Cemal. I'm in Navan so ahold get mine before you!!!

Mine arrived at 10. All three sets. The driver must think I'm an alcoholic instead of a whiskey hobbyist.

Cazale wrote:
    Mine arrived at 10. All three sets. The driver must think I'm an alcoholic instead of a whiskey hobbyist.

Enjoy, I've liberties tonight then two Bushmills on Thursday (intro & malt)

I'm sure the driver has seen a lot worse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cazale wrote: »
    Hijackers was probably too strong a word. Off the top of my head Roe & Co
    Dunville & Co, Dublin Whiskey Distillery, JJ Corry, Velvet Cap, Lockes, Jack Ryan, Tyrconnell are all 'reborn' whiskeys. Bushmills was founded in 1784 but has 1608 on their branding. If you do the Middleton tour they bring you around a load of old buildings talking about Jameson even though Jameson was never made there. The Tullamore Dew and Kilbeggan tours are a bit liberal with their histories too.

In defence of Velvet Cap; VC was never a distillery it was a whiskey bonder brand and we have been very clear about the history with "established" and "revived" dates on the label. It's also clear that it is a sourced, blended whiskey. We aren't trying to fool anyone.

I think JJ Corry are pretty transparent about what they are doing, as well.

In defence of Velvet Cap; VC was never a distillery it was a whiskey bonder brand and we have been very clear about the history with "established" and "revived" dates on the label. It's also clear that it is a sourced, blended whiskey. We aren't trying to fool anyone.

I think JJ Corry are pretty transparent about what they are doing, as well.

To be fair neither of those were the ones I was aiming at particularly. I could listen to Louise McGuane and Peter Mulryan chat about Whiskey all day. Big fan of both of them and what they are doing. I was listening to Daithí O’Connell chatting yesterday about his W.D. O’Connell Whiskey Merchants and he was saying when he was setting up his brand he decided to go for a more modern Irish look rather than trying to make some link to an old legend or a defunct old distillery/whiskey. Personally I prefer that approach.

To be fair neither of those were the ones I was aiming at particularly. I could listen to Louise McGuane and Peter Mulryan chat about Whiskey all day. Big fan of both of them and what they are doing. I was listening to Daithí O’Connell chatting yesterday about his W.D. O’Connell Whiskey Merchants and he was saying when he was setting up his brand he decided to go for a more modern Irish look rather than trying to make some link to an old legend or a defunct old distillery/whiskey. Personally I prefer that approach.

THose O'Connell whiskeys are very good - not just more of the same Irish whiskey. I found them interesting.

I ordered the bushmills set last Thursday and still havnt gotten any confirmation of dispatch! if I dont get it today im not confident ill get them on time. I reached out to BWW on eventbrite on Sunday but didnt get a reply at all. :(

Hogzy wrote: »
    I ordered the bushmills set last Thursday and still havnt gotten any confirmation of dispatch! if I dont get it today im not confident ill get them on time. I reached out to BWW on eventbrite on Sunday but didnt get a reply at all. :(

Hey dude, i ordered the liberties and bushmills intro on friday and they just arrived. i ordered bushmills malt on Saturday but nothing yet, so i'd imagine you'll get it tomorrow or Thursday.

Speaking f Liberties is at 8 tonight and I've heard nothing about the event or gotten an invite to it. Hopefully comes through soon

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Hey dude, i ordered the liberties and bushmills intro on friday and they just arrived. i ordered bushmills malt on Saturday but nothing yet, so i'd imagine you'll get it tomorrow or Thursday.

Speaking f Liberties is at 8 tonight and I've heard nothing about the event or gotten an invite to it. Hopefully comes through soon

Go to http://bigmarker.com/bww and request an invite. You need to use the email you used when purchasing. I'd do it now as they have to accept you.

They don't send dispatch confirmation. You'll just get a text from dpd on the day they are delivering. If your on Twitter Phil @Causewaywhiskey might be able to help you. He's one of the organisers.

Hogzy wrote:
    I ordered the bushmills set last Thursday and still havnt gotten any confirmation of dispatch! if I dont get it today im not confident ill get them on time. I reached out to BWW on eventbrite on Sunday but didnt get a reply at all.

Hey mate, I got notification my second Bushmills set is arriving today.

Really enjoyed liberties event last night. The 70's event prior ran over by 20 minutes but Daryll and Paul did a great event and the whiskey was lovely. Really enjoyed it.

brinty wrote: »
    Hey mate, I got notification my second Bushmills set is arriving today.

Really enjoyed liberties event last night. The 70's event prior ran over by 20 minutes but Daryll and Paul did a great event and the whiskey was lovely. Really enjoyed it.

Yeah I got notification too! I need to stop panicking about my whiskey deliveries and panic more so about other things! :pac:

Just got a message from BWW for the Echlinville tasting tonight that we need crushed ice and double whipped cream for cocktails! I thought this was a whiskey tasting :rolleyes:

Glendalough Double Barrel:
    One of my favorite whiskeys in my collection is the mizunara Glendalough. First time trying the double barrel. A grain whiskey. Nice smooth taste with a spicy finish. Good introduction especially at 30 euro a bottle.

I preferred the Glendalough Triple Barrel (bourbon,oloroso,maderia) to the Double Barrel. Thought it was a real step up from the intro offering.
    It's on promo in Celtic Whiskey Shop for €40 (down from €48).

Bit disappointed with the Pot Still Irish Oak, I loved the background story about using virgin Irish oak but the product itself didn't do anything for me - preferred the Triple Barrel which is about €10 cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

If anymore people describe whiskey taste as “SMOOTH” I’m going into a rage. Smooth as opposed to licking sandpaper? Smooth as outdoor paint in a can? What the f smooth is meant to mean? It doesn’t feel like swallowing cogwheels?

If anymore people describe whiskey taste as “SMOOTH” I’m going into a rage. Smooth as opposed to licking sandpaper? Smooth as outdoor paint in a can? What the f smooth is meant to mean? It doesn’t feel like swallowing cogwheels?

Smooth to me means that there is less of an impact or 'burn' after swallowing the whiskey. It seems like a fair description to me.

Smooth to me means that there is less of an impact or 'burn' after swallowing the whiskey. It seems like a fair description to me.

What hogzy said, if it goes down very easily from tongue to throat wiith out a sharp taste or burning sensation i would consider that to be smooth. If it passes from front to back like water then that's smooth.

But its just my opinion.

I was on the DLD event last night and learned that a master distillers edition should be tongue enveloping and found that to be very true. Whiskey felt like it was tingling on all parts of my tongue surrounding it with tatse and warmth but nothing harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Haha Haha

Lads will say they can get a hint of toe nail clippings that have been soaked in orange juice and left in direct sunlight for 3.75 hours and no one raises an eyebrow.

Describe it as smooth and the "refined palates" of the whiskey world throw a wobbler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lads do any of you know if L Mulligans hip flask service is back up and running. Cant see it online and have tried to contact them through social media channels but no response yet

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    Haha Haha
    Lads will say they can get a hint of toe nail clippings that have been soaked in orange juice and left in direct sunlight for 3.75 hours and no one raises an eyebrow.
    Describe it as smooth and the "refined palates" of the whiskey world throw a wobbler

I disagree. It was clearly lemon juice for 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I would have said smooth goes down easy, but also has more of that pot stilled mellowness and more oil like slightly thicker mouthful more associated with Irish than Scottish whisky. I have a bottle of Irish American Trading company blend that I would definitely define as smooth, or a Redbreast 12. More 'rounded'. Sorry of that sounds like a pile of ****e I'm not even trying to talk bollocks that's how I imagine it when I'm drinking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Picked up a bottle of laphraoig 10 year old in Sainsbury in Derry for £30. My god we really get stiffed for booze South of the border.

Ha ha ha.
    It gets a bit overused alright and to many people is the ultimate attribute in a whiskey. Sometimes it seems people don't give a fiddler's what a whiskey tastes like as long as it's "smooth".
    And there is also an ill conceived notion that Irish whiskey bests scotch because it's "smoother"!
    If all you want is smooth, drink water or wine, imo!

It's a bit like people who think tenderness is the ultimate attribute in meat.

What about flavour?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of laphraoig 10 year old in Sainsbury in Derry for £30. My god we really get stiffed for booze South of the border.

One of my favourites, and a steal at that price. They regularly sell it for 38 but quite often it's available around the 30 quid mark. Last time I was up in Newry I grabbed a bottle of this also for around the same price. Haven't dipped into it yet.

It's also a good example of why 'smooth' isn't always a good thing. The burn is (or at least it can be) an essential part of the tasting experience. The smokier of the single malts are a taste sensation when the balance is right. It's like it opens your throat to the other flavours in the whisky. Laphroaig 10 is almost dirty in that sense, there's practically a pleasure/pain element to it like eating ridiculously hot chillies or something

I took out the bottle to take a photo of it but now I'm just sitting here staring at it, willing myself not to open it after all this talk of taste.

11.30am isn't too early........is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I popped up to Newry recently too and bought a couple bottles of the 10 but it was at the standard price of £37 :(

It's my favourite though. I really like the Quarter Cask too. I remember the Select being quite good as the cheapest expression. My palate is almost overly used to Laphroaig now so it isn't the kick in the teeth it used to be. Would still see Ardbegs as milder. The dream is to source a Laphroaig 10 CS somewhere; apparently it's top dog.

521513.jpg

The current squad, all lined up.

Not if you think of it as medicinal with all that TCP that comes with it. Love laphroig, and yes I saw the small bottle for €73 in an off licence in Dublin recently. Government really needs to do something about excise. WOuld be nice if we could enjoy the new range of whiskys coming out of our new distilleries at a somewhat affordable price.

I really want to try Laphroig Quarter Cask.

Just on the 'smooth' debate. Of course flavour is vital, but the difference mouthfeel can make to the overall experience is almost as important. Its the exact same with new styles of beer coming out, thicker mouthfeel is intentionally added to balance higher ABV and strong tropical flavours from new intense hops. This results in a more rounded flavouring.

Beanstalk wrote: »

Just on the 'smooth' debate. Of course flavour is vital, but the difference mouthfeel can make to the overall experience is almost as important. Its the exact same with new styles of beer coming out, thicker mouthfeel is intentionally added to balance higher ABV and strong tropical flavours from new intense hops. This results in a more rounded flavouring.

I find these new style of beer extremely unbalanced, generally. There is no bitterness there to balance the hop flavours.

I think there is a tendency to remove elements that are seen as "challenging" in both whiskey and beer. Alcohol burn and bitterness seem to frighten the modern consumer. Also, when people are describing whiskey as smooth, I don't think that they are referring to the mouthfeel but rather the lack of alcohol burn.

I find these new style of beer extremely unbalanced, generally. There is no bitterness there to balance the hop flavours.

I think there is a tendency to remove elements that are seen as "challenging" in both whiskey and beer. Alcohol burn and bitterness seem to frighten the modern consumer. Also, when people are describing whiskey as smooth, I don't think that they are referring to the mouthfeel but rather the lack of alcohol burn.

Yeah bitterness in beer these days is few and far between unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It's my favourite though. I really like the Quarter Cask too. I remember the Select being quite good as the cheapest expression. My palate is almost overly used to Laphroaig now so it isn't the kick in the teeth it used to be. Would still see Ardbegs as milder. The dream is to source a Laphroaig 10 CS somewhere; apparently it's top dog.

I have some Laphroaig 25 year old Cask Strength at home. I'm waiting for a proper miserable winters night to try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

So was at Dublin airport and was looking for something that was value for money (€25 - €40) which I haven't tried before.

Narrowed my choice down to Jameson Triple Triple Triple for €41 or The Irishman Founders Reserve for €28.

Went with The Irishman.

Good/bad decision?

54and56 wrote: »
    So was at Dublin airport and was looking for something that was value for money (€25 - €40) which I haven't tried before.
    Narrowed my choice down to Jameson Triple Triple Triple for €41 or The Irishman Founders Reserve for €28.
    Went with The Irishman.
    Good/bad decision?

Clearly the answer was buy both mon ami.
    Unless it was duty free and you could only buy one.

I'd have gone for the Jameson as it's a travel exclusive and I like comparing different versions of Jameson.
    But I think you'll appreciate the Founders Reserve which should be at least as nice, is cheaper and if you like it won't have to fly to re-stock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the non duty free price for Triple Triple by the looks of things; which makes the Irishman a bargain at that for non duty free.

Never had it, but anything else Walsh have sold has been good.

Don't think there's anything old enough from "their" distillery (bit of a mess there) so presumably its all still bought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Smooth...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Got a Yamasaki 12 at Christmas that I've barely touched. Just had my first one in about 5 months. Glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I’ve been on a major bourbon journey this past little while. Someone got me a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and it just sent me off down a rabbit hole.

Firstly, because you’re typically reading and watching American sources for reviews and inspiration, the sticker price is a real kick in the nuts when you go to buy it here. Depending on availability and with excise thrown on top of retail mark up, some pretty average $30-40 stuff can retail here for €100+. Makes choosing carefully all the more important.

After starting on Four Roses I wandered - as I think anyone will nowadays - into the Buffalo Trace distillery range, but skipped BT itself and went instead for Eagle Rare. €50 a bottle, they have it in O’Briens as well as the more exotic locales. 10 year age statement and it’s like drinking candy in a glass. Lovely stuff and definitely the bottle I’ll be keeping around the house if I move on from the current bourbon phase of having a lot on the shelf.

I picked up a bottle of Weller Special Reserve (green label) as Weller is so well got as a brand, but it’s not an expression I’d be rushing back to and certainly not at €75 a bottle as I paid in Celtic. Forget about feeling smooth, it has a harsh ethanol note on the nose you wouldn’t expect for that kind of money. I suspect it’s selling at that price on the name and the association as the “lower tier pappy.”

As with the discussion above, I like a bit of the warming spice of alcohol going down and so obviously decided to try some high rye bourbon. Went with Salzerac Rye, also of buffalo trace distilleries. Found it spicier than a standard bourbon but not nearly spicy enough to be honest, but still tasty juice. €50 a bottle in Celtic, but I don’t think I’ll rush back as it’s not kicking me in the throat the way you’d want a rye to.

Wandering ones eye across the shelves for a decent rye, again there’s a lot of price inflation. Was thinking about some EH Taylor but at €145 I decided against. Instead I kept picking up on something a lot of US bourbon reviewers come back to - Wild Turkey 101. It has a reputation as a cheap college drink, but it’s a high rye, spicy bourbon at 101 proof / 50.5% abv. And it’s very decently priced even for here. Sticker €43 and I got it with a bit of a trade discount for €37 after a good long chat in the off license. Lovely taste and definitely spicy.

Open to recommendations on where to go to next. Thinking some Michters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Yeah bitterness in beer these days is few and far between unfortunately.

I know this is the whiskey thread, but it must be said about beer, certain characteristic and expected bitter/tart/sharp flavours are all too often missing.

I've personally noticed myself the last feew months moving on from the latest crazed "DIPA/IPA/whatever else you're having" etc and just trying to cool my jets with a half decent pilsner (Flensburger) so I can stop the Friday annoyance.

Anyway, back to the uisce...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I have some Laphroaig 25 year old Cask Strength at home. I'm waiting for a proper miserable winters night to try it!

Would smoky be an accurate description of that whisky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

...so the uisce...

As posted a couple of weeks back I gifted my FIL a Waterford Ratheadon and we promptly polished of 2/3 bottle without even realising given it was so light [sic] and flavoursome for what it was. Such a great whiskey it must be said.

Further to this, as a result of my better half finishing her doctorate, the loon, we have to/want to gift a family friend in the States a bottle of whiskey for his help with it.

I have no idea what the man likes, so given his predilection for Irish whiskeys that's a good start and because of this thread and some recommendations I figured that the Knappogue Castle 12/14/16 minis was actually a decent range to do a test with the FIL to gauge a range of flavours that he might like.

I also had a dram of Green Spot with me as the control, and yes, I have to say the 14 is a winner, lovely bite to it without being overpowering, but the 16 had a lovely sweetness, almost bourbon-like [though going to a Kentuckian, that's a waste]. The 12 seemed to have all the right components but didn't sit up right for me. Still lovely and would not complain if I had a bottle of it.

[All the Knappogue is from Bushmills though isn't it?]

Anyway, the FIL hasn't stopped talking about the Ratheadon and found himself down in Foley's in Sligo town/city [seriously] today and lo and behold he brought back a Bannow Island with him.

So it was great to give it a comparative tasting tonight as well, and tbh, it was pleasant, but isn't playing the same game as the Ratheadon. Blew my mind the way that the terroir is what is making all the difference here. Wow.

Anyway, cheers guys for all the tips and help along the way the last couple of months and here's to some Laphroaig 10 next week! :)
    521733.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement